128 gb sdxc card

Search for: Lexar 128GB 133x

That one works for sure.

Don't know if the one you use does.

Remember:  If you don't have installed the ExFat PND then you need to format it to FAT32 first (or EXT of course).

I am a big fan of Sandisk cards. They are usually a bit more expensive, but all Sandisk cards I once bought are still working while the other brands have had issues after a while. Might be interested in one too.   

The Sandisk Extreme 128gb SDXC Class 10? I'd be willing to test it.  I also trust Sandisk integrity over other SD manufactures.

Meaning, I could re-purpose one of my 64gb cards and was thinking about one of these anyway.  Guess I'll order one and then test it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got this in today!  It didn't show up right away as it was completely raw(where I come from there would be a joke here...)  Gparted saw it and I made a ext out of it.  What would you like me to test and with what tools?

This may not be 100% relavent, but I purchased a used Lexar 128GB 133x and used the Flashbench tool with no results. So I used ext4 and set it to sectors then put 8mb unalocated in the front and set the sector size to 4mb. Before doing this it was formated with NTFS and during a 2gig transfer it went from 20Mbits per second to 9Mbits at about the one gig mark. But after the ext4 format with alighnment it took longer for it to get down to the 9Mbits speed.

Mix between http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_Damage_a_FLASH_Storage_Device

and http://www.j1nx.nl/howto-optimize-linux-sd-card-rootfs/

Sorry, yeah I can start a test on this.  I was hoping for some help with which tools to use to test data rates with.  Not just can it store files in Fat32 or not. I can tell you that tonight if that's all you need to know.  If you want a wiki entry I would like to really actually test this card but I need some assistance with that.

it's easy to use flashbench if you have a linux pc with sd and internet access. It can be ran on the pandora, but I used a Backtrack5 live dvd.  Boot to the dvd then download the program to a directory, cd to the directory that has the program and with the sd card mounted (make sure it's not full of important data [backup to something first]) then do a flashbench -a <device>    this will output some text that you can copy to a notepad. I would do it 2-3 times in a row and compair them all.

https://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/arnd/flashbench.git;a=commitdiff;h=6aa1d51196783fb743a487e876645fb7ccbd76a0  Some info about flashbench output

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~xnox/flashbench/master/files  The files

Just going off mem with this instructions

If you had time you could format in all the diffrent formats and then time large filetransfers to see the speed diff. And if you lucky use the flash bench to see more detailed infomation about the block size.

In most cases you can just go off this http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2011-March/031505.html   

Oh and I read were if the erase block was say 8megabytes and the max the ext4 filesystem block size is 4megabytes. Using 4megabytes will work great, the only time there is an issue is when you try to use a size Larger then the erase block. :ph34r:

I looked at a lot of speed comparisons of ext4 vs ext4 without journal and when it came down to it, for me with journal was the way to go.

So if your drive is 64gigs or larger you are proably safe with saying you have a 4MB or larger page size, and the erase block size is = to or greater then this (withen a multipe of it 8,16,32,ect..). So....

Fdisk /dev/DEV

You get a menu Command (m for help): m
hit u to change to sector view

hit d then the number to delete partion, need to delete them all if any

hit n for new partion

start at sector 8192         (Note this is 8MB start use 16384 for 16MBstart)*So 8MB will not be used... small price to pay for the alignment speed gain

then the end sector.... When you switched to u to see the total sectors you had a number. I took 8192 then added 4096 until I got as close to the end as possilbe then subtract -1 because it all starts at 0) Enter that

number.   ex 18578334 total sectors / 4096 = 4535evenly so in this case 4535 x 4096 = 18575360-1 = 18575359 would be the end in this case.

hit l and find the number for linux

hit t and assign the number to the part

hit w to write

hit q to quit

Ok so now that the partion is alliend you have to format aligned as well...

enter partprobe       (note this will remount sd with the new changes *actually write them)

mkfs.ext4 -b 4096 -g 32768 /dev/DEV

this command will format it to 4MB blocks with max group block size *note 5% of size is reserved for root access so the drive does not become to full  "tune2fs -m 1 /dev/DEV" would change it to 1% I left it at 5 though.

So now it is formatted and alligend at the block, ready for testing. if you have a smaller card use the link to find the block size and do the math with the info above. Hope this helps!!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PLB68AF79BA3A34114

I wrote all this from mem so may need double check and revised

Wow! Awesome post Eddie.  I'll have to read it after dinner but it sure looks like (scanned) the information that I am looking for.  Maybe I can actually make a few updates to the wiki for sd card compatibility.  

For the people that just want to know about Fat32 compatibility; I just transferred 17788 items, totalling 57.6 GB in 1:26'11 from an SanDisk Extreme 64 GB to the new SanDisk Extreme SDXC 128 GB Class10 slot 1 to slot 2.

Worked fine in ext2 but I did a quick gparted to Fat32, copied everything and have no problems with this card.  Playing Open Tyrian off of it right now.  Great game.

Yeah, after reading Eddie's instructions, I will definitely try a stack of SD cards like that in the Pandora.  

So not all SD cards are compatible with the Pandora? I have a 128 GB SD. The SD card shows up but the Pandora doesn't seem to recognize any of the apps installed on it. Also I can't seem to install any apps onto it from the pndmanager. I can play games off of it just fine though. Is there anyway to make it read pnds off of it or is it unable with an SD of that size. It's just a cheap SD card I picked up from China, it doesn't have an actual brand name or anything.

yeah I learned my lesson big time. Well it's good to learn from mistakes.
Well it's not really a mistake if this card works for one of your devices (even if it's not with the Pandora). 

For SD cards, it's usually better to go for well known brands, such as :

- Sandisk

- Transcend

- PQI

- Amazon's own brand

I have tried Toshiba as well but it gave me many issues (both with my computer AND the Pandora), somehow the controller fails when doing long transfers. It's a shitty brand, it happened several times, not just on one card. I have also had a couple of issues with no-name brands. 

I know we all want to get things on the cheap, but sometimes saving 10 dollars is not worth it compared to the trouble you get down the road. 

yeah I learned my lesson big time. Well it's good to learn from mistakes.
Well it's not really a mistake if this card works for one of your devices (even if it's not with the Pandora). 

For SD cards, it's usually better to go for well known brands, such as :

- Sandisk

- Transcend

- PQI

- Amazon's own brand

I have tried Toshiba as well but it gave me many issues (both with my computer AND the Pandora), somehow the controller fails when doing long transfers. It's a shitty brand, it happened several times, not just on one card. I have also had a couple of issues with no-name brands. 

I know we all want to get things on the cheap, but sometimes saving 10 dollars is not worth it compared to the trouble you get down the road. 
Yeah I will stick to those brands. I honestly don't know much about SD cards since I hardly ever worry about using them. For College we mostly use just USBs. SD cards are more for media and I don't do much with media. So I made the mistake by getting some nameless brand SD card from china :p now I see why it was at such a cheap price. But thankfully when I ran the h2testw application it showed that all of the space on the card was working. So I got kind of lucky as far as that goes.

Back