#1 fave game for pandy?

Simple always makes a better analogy. If you can't explain why your position makes sense in the simple case then how can you expect it to make any sense in the complex case?

What you can say about a chair does not necessarily apply to software because software is a lot more complex both in its design and in its use. You sit on chairs. If you want, you can just sit on a large rock. This is not true of software.

Not true:

Panda-Chair-made-from-old-CD-collection-is-impressive-and-fantastic1.jpg

Now, the question is:

Would you reject this chair if the software on the CDs was from a non-free source?

D.

It takes people with extreme positions to balance the average a bit.
I think onpon4 made it clear enough what his reason is: he only wants to use software that gives him certain freedoms beyond just the freedom to run the binaries.

So to understand, you believe his reasoning isn't because he finds anything in the previously mentioned software particularly offensive, that there is no specific reason to not use them other than to maintain consistency with the principle? He's simply applying a vague principle universally (despite rational for specific cases) in a belief that it will somehow change the world?

That's not entirely unreasonable, I suppose. I don't like it, I think it's the wrong way to go about it, but I suppose there's method to the madness. If you're right, this radically changes a lot of things I used to think I knew. Hmm...

Can I just point this out -

mined_out.JPG

This software is gratis, but not "free". And obviously was used, more than once as referenced by the "keep running into a situation" part of his feedback, by onpon4.

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't mention it briefly or casually, it was a key point of your post: "I used to play these games but now I don't because I disagree with their philosophy".

I mentioned that because some of those, especially Audiorace, used to be among my favorites.

Can I just point this out -

View attachment 4478

This software is gratis, but not "free". And obviously was used, more than once as referenced by the "keep running into a situation" part of his feedback, by onpon4.

It's already been established that I used to play nonfree games. I don't anymore. I shouldn't need to erase all traces of my ever having used nonfree software to not use it and speak against it now.

Also, this is a great demonstration of one huge reason to not use ANY nonfree software if it can be helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having thought about it over lunch, being vehemently opposed to something universally "on principle" (including the rejection of specific cases which don't line up with the stated reasons for the principle) does seem to follow a certain religious zeal. Fighting for that principle then does tend to suggest a "holy war" I'm sorry to say. I think Dunny was right in his statement. He meant it as an out-of-hand insult, but it does seem to fit somewhat. Obviously not a full on war. A "holy intense-negotiations" perhaps?

you are like an old married couple.
You must know some very boring elderly couples.

It's already been established that I used to play nonfree games. I don't anymore.

And that really is a shame as I (and I'm sure other developers) really welcomed your feedback. You were one of the few people to use the software that actually let me know how you felt about it.

Simple always makes a better analogy. If you can't explain why your position makes sense in the simple case then how can you expect it to make any sense in the complex case?

What you can say about a chair does not necessarily apply to software because software is a lot more complex both in its design and in its use. You sit on chairs. If you want, you can just sit on a large rock. This is not true of software.

Not true:

Panda-Chair-made-from-old-CD-collection-is-impressive-and-fantastic1.jpg

Now, the question is:

Would you reject this chair if the software on the CDs was from a non-free source?

D.

I love you man. Best thread nominee.

Back