Zune Hd...

The Zune HD looks-

• Total voters

DaveC

Internal Development
I have been looking at the Zune HD that is comming out. We all know that iPods are king of MP3 players. The thing is the Zune HD has this OLED screen that has gotten rave reviews.

I remember when I first saw the original Zune. I thought why bother? It looked like a piece of crap so I never paid much attention afterwards. All made of cheap plastic. The Ipod Touch was slick with the glass screen and metal body. Plus it had the bitten apple logo on it which to some means the device is a gift from god.

I have seen a Touch and while it is very good the screen is terrible. It is all washed out and has the worst black level and contrast I have seen in years.

I saw videos of the Zune HD and the interface looks good. That OLED screen will blow away the Touch. I like the HDMI output that you can dock the Zune into and watch movies that you have on the Zune on your HDTV. That is something that I could see using.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JtMnkNh8jY

So what do you think? Cool or crap?

I am leaning towards cool after seeing videos of it and I never thought I would like any Zune.

I am a proud owner of an Ipod Touch, but i think i might sell it for the Zune HD. That screen was very nice. That crisp display is something ive always been thinking about when it comes to my iPod. The whole pin idea is nice, but im not really sure how convineint it is.

I think its cool, but with the pandora coming, and me building a PC, i just dont have the green for it.

BTW, when i saw this, for some wierd reason, i thought to myself, why are they making a hard drive? lol

the original zune was crap, but the zune hd is a fantastic looking media player. gui looks very nice.

however, they've decided to make it entirely touchscreen controlled. i think a simple d-pad would have been nice.

zune hd looks a lot better than the ipod touch, but it's probably going to be closed-sourced.

Xian Long said:
the original zune was crap, but the zune hd is a fantastic looking media player. gui looks very nice.

however, they've decided to make it entirely touchscreen controlled. i think a simple d-pad would have been nice.

zune hd looks a lot better than the ipod touch, but it's probably going to be closed-sourced.
Yeah the iPod was closed too.

"Closed" just means it takes an extra day to crack it :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks cool, but personally, after owning the iPhone, I can't imaginge owning a media player without a phone in it also. It's just amazingly convenient to be able to carry an iPod touch and a phone in one.

I don't see the point in a dedicated media player anymore, especially if it's closed source. Might be interesting for some people, but with the Pandora and the Pre, I'll be able to do everything I want already.

all my ipods (i have 5) are now just hard drives that can sometimes be used to play music if necessary. they're pretty good as external disks. i'll use an 80gig ipod with the pandora, quite comfortably ..

OrR said:
I don't see the point in a dedicated media player anymore, especially if it's closed source. Might be interesting for some people, but with the Pandora and the Pre, I'll be able to do everything I want already.
They are for the people who have no clue, and possibly never will, know what a Pandora is. And colsed source means nothing, you can crack it in no time.

beavith said:
OrR said:
They are for the people who have no clue, and possibly never will, know what a Pandora is. And colsed source means nothing, you can crack it in no time.

"Cracking" a closed source OS doesn't suddenly make it open source. Also it means you're then split with a divide of software that works on the "official" OS and the separate OS you have to run separately, so either you have some sort of weird "dual boot" scenario going on, or you're limited to one of the two groups.

Enverex said:
beavith said:
OrR said:

"Cracking" a closed source OS doesn't suddenly make it open source. Also it means you're then split with a divide of software that works on the "official" OS and the separate OS you have to run separately, so either you have some sort of weird "dual boot" scenario going on, or you're limited to one of the two groups.
But in theory, cant the new OS usually just do whatever the other can?

Either way, I don't want to pay a company for selling me locked-out hardware. That's like saying, "Go ahead, keep writing shitty firmware and limiting how I can use my hardware, I'll pay for it."

DaveC said:
So what do you think? Cool or crap?

Over 9000% Crap. Why? Touchscreen.

When I saw the iphone/ipod touch, I raged so hard.

Touchscreens are nifty, but they're only nifty for certain people. I am not one of those people. Touchscreen monitor on a PC is fine, touchscreen on a tablet is fine, but on a music player? No thank you. What ever happened to the good old days when music players played music and phones made phone calls. Now it's all back asswards and completely nucking futs that my MP3 player is calling my girlfriend and my phone is playing bob marley. I have a Creative Zen 4GB mp3 player, it also plays 320x240 divx/xvid encoded files. I like it. It's nifty. It accepts 32GB SDHC cards, and it doesn't have a touch screen. If they redesigned this with some proper buttons, I would probably buy it.

Oh, and I have one of these, too. It makes phone calls.
0061696000611_215X215.jpg

lulzfish said:
Either way, I don't want to pay a company for selling me locked-out hardware. That's like saying, "Go ahead, keep writing shitty firmware and limiting how I can use my hardware, I'll pay for it."
*cough* apple macs *cough*

SkuLL said:
lulzfish said:
*cough* apple macs *cough*

What the fuck are you talking about? Apple doesn't lock you out of installing apps or anything else on Macs.

Ravnos said:
What the fuck are you talking about? Apple doesn't lock you out of installing apps or anything else on Macs.

wait a sec, i just realised what i was saying, and i was thinking the other way around, limiting the software to the hardware it can run on.

Back