Release ZSNes

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is ZSNes, the x86 SNes emulator
preview01.png

The emulator can use gl4es, and use Box86 to run. This emulator is open source but is mostly made with hand crafted x86 assembler, making an ARM port quite a challenge. With the double emulation, even the most diffiult game to emulated, like Super Mario Kart or Star Fox, still runs at 60 fps with fullscreen. So I guess this release still makes sense. Well, I rermember using this emulator, so I'm happy to see it again on the Pyra :)
It should be pre-configured for Pyra, but feel free to change the settings.
You'll need a bunch of dependancies to run this one: here is the command line for conveniance
Code:
sudo apt install box86-pyra libsdl1.2pyra libpng16-16 libncurses5 libtinfo5

Also, note that this one will write it's parameters to your actual home (in "~/.zsnes"), it wont use HOME env. var.

History log
=========
Build 02
-----------

• Fixed sub-menu category
Build 01
-----------

• Initial build

Last edited:
Although the Snes9x from the Alpha EX Pack works quite good allready, I think I will have a lock and maybe a video , seems like you are in a porting rage this week , I wonder what else to come..

Although the Snes9x from the Alpha EX Pack works quite good allready, I think I will have a lock and maybe a video , seems like you are in a porting rage this week , I wonder what else to come..
The main difference between ZSNES and Snes9x is that the first one was designed to be fast, instead the second one wanted to be the most precise as possible.
On older PCs the difference was really huge, Snes9x required a more powerful machine to run decently, while ZSNES was able to run most of the games at full speed, and also had a fast forward function, but sometimes, there were games that had issues on timings or effects... for them only Snes9x was able to work reliably.
I always preferred ZSNES, despite its lackings.

Ok so Zsnes for the Video, to show what is new, but I could also be happy whit Snes9x ^^
And whiteout the Double Dpad Bug it’s much more enjoyable ^^

I had yesterday in my Breakfast break the Oportunity to play a bit whit ZNES on the Pyra, even Starwing, but ditnt notice that much diferent to SNES9X+ , i also testet the New Super Mario Land Romhack, and it worked booth good..
But maybe i need more time whit booth emulators to notice a different..

Reactions: rSl
Well, the simple fact that you don't see any difference between a native build of SNes9x and ZSNes running under box86 emulation is a, for me, a victory :)

That beeing said, SNES emulation is very mature now, so I don't expect much difference between emulators. It will be mostly a question of Taste on the GUI, and the little plus that each emu may implement (or just nostalgia)

Last edited:
I wanted to check the graphic quality also.
SMK_snes9x.png

This is the default SNes9X quality, so with Linear filtering and no special effect.

SMK_snes9x_prescale.png

Now, this is still SNes9x, but without Linear filtering, and with PreScale x2 applied
SMK_zsnes.png

And now ZSNes, with the default settings for the dbp (so with the "HD mode7" applied, no filtering)

Minor update, just a repackage to fix the sub-menu category, now that sub-menu are working :)

Build 02
-----------

• Fixed sub-menu category
Finally... now I need to check if mine are working right.

Back