Zelda Classic 2.11 B18 Gp2x 0.4alpha

Hitnrun

Zelda Classic 2.11 B18 Gp2x 0.4alpha is an unnoficial port by Hitnrun, with permission from Dark Nation of Zelda Classic.

This is an alpha release, so it wasn't tested too much, test it and post your results on the forum.

Read the included README.GP2X for a list of observations.

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,26,2549

While the archive don't update, grab it from my server:

http://www.rangelreale.com/gp2x_zeldaclassic.php

ChangeLog
---------

2.11B18 0.1alpha (2008-04-19)
=============================
- initial release

2.11B18 0.3alpha (2008-04-21)
- 70-100% speedup, by some optimizations and migration to Allegro 4.3.10plus
- now we have an icon, thanks to Kenney!
- savestates MAY not be compatible because of Allegro version change

2.11B18 0.4alpha (2008-05-11)
- ~30% speed increase, with more optimizations to allegro
- if the custom game do not fit on memory, a swap file will be created to hold the memory that does not fit. This virtual memory is only used if needed. The bigger quest can use a lot of virtual memory (the Link to the Heavens quest will create a ~100mb file). As far as I know, this file is only written at start, then it is only read. SD cards aren't made for heavy writing, so I really don't know if this can affect the lifetime of the card. Use at your own risk. (I ran it lots of times, and my card still works :) ). Some games still crash misteriously, so if you could send me reports of what works and what doesn't, it would help a lot.
- fixed the status at top not showing while not scrolling, it should appear at all times now.
- now displays a status screen with progress while loading, as the bigger quests can take a long time to load.

zelda.jpg

Wow... Thanks for the update. :)

Question: Is the swap file only written once, or does it get rewritten every time you start that custom game? :huh:

EDIT: Another question: What happens if the SD card doesn't have sufficient space for the swap file?

Manjuu said:

Question: Is the swap file only written once, or does it get rewritten every time you start that custom game?

I'd like to know that also. Then maybe it could be a bit like the neo geo emulator that extracts the graphics before running.

Thanks HitnRun, much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your continued updates on this hitnrun.

Not to be greedy, but any chances of sound improvements and music for this port?

Manjuu said:

Question: Is the swap file only written once, or does it get rewritten every time you start that custom game? :huh:

EDIT: Another question: What happens if the SD card doesn't have sufficient space for the swap file?
Yes, it is written every time you start or load a game... that is because it is simulating memory, not simply extracting files, this memory contain pointers to other memory that can be on ram, so it can't be reused by reading the file again.

I could try to only reload the data that needs pointers, but this data is a big array with lots of structures, I don't know if there would be any improvement...

If the SD doesn't have sufficiente space, probably it crashes B) but it tries to allocate all the needed space at startup, so it will never crash in the middle of a game because of this.

naples39 said:
Thanks for your continued updates on this hitnrun.

Not to be greedy, but any chances of sound improvements and music for this port?
Hmm... whats wrong with the sound? To me the sound effects seems ok, I hear no music but in the desktop version I do not hear too, could you point me on which game/map there is problem with sound?

I guess I'm an idiot. Never played the PC version so maybe everything's fine. I thought there was supposed to be music.

I had a quick play of a mod, Renegade, and I must say. It is quite an impressive engine. And looking on the Zelda Classic website, there are heaps of highly rated quests to be played.

naples39 said:
I guess I'm an idiot. Never played the PC version so maybe everything's fine. I thought there was supposed to be music.

As I tested, the linux version don't have any since its midi and they didn't added timidity.

That not fun :(

Thanks for the port tough !!

paxl

I played a bit of the first quest, and it's very playable :) Great improvements Hitnrun, the only thing that still needs a bit of work is the pre-game interface.

Games just aren't the same without music for me, they become less fun to play, so I'm not gonna be playing this a lot :(
If only it had music, I'd be all over this thing. <3 Zelda.

Great job on the porting though. Are the HUD issues fixed yet? (I'm guessing not, from the screenshot)

Jdbye said:
Games just aren't the same without music for me, they become less fun to play, so I'm not gonna be playing this a lot :(
If only it had music, I'd be all over this thing. <3 Zelda.

Great job on the porting though. Are the HUD issues fixed yet? (I'm guessing not, from the screenshot)
Yes I know what you mean, music in games play a big part. The program has a NES music emulator compiled in, so there is a chance that the original music is included, must look more for it.

The HUD was fixed on 0.4, its on the changelog, I just didn't updated the screenshot!

Hmm the windows version have bg music, it seems to be FM emulated, the linux version I got do not output any music, I'll see about it.

I couldn't make the linux version play any music, the "official" version, nor my own compiled version, there may be some bug in the linux version.
I'll see if I can do something about it.

Back