Youtube And Flash?

1magus

I was wondering what is the verdict for running sites like Youtube with Pandora's web browser?

The solution is probably going to come from the community, one possibility being to "borrow" Flash from a similar platform. It's better for the team to keep their distance from such shenanigans. :)

Flash is still the dominant format for web video. HTML5 is slowly emerging but it'll be a while before it usurps Flash.

Youtube has HTML5 support, so if you install chromium or some other browser that supports HTML5 (midori and arora may, but I don't know) then videos will work on Youtube.

As for other places, I don't know...

Does the way youtube works on the iphone without using flash open any possibilities up? Maybe it's not accessible, I dunno, just seems worth asking.

Isn't it possible to use VLC to play web-based video? I seem to recall doing it before on a desktop once (due to difficulties installing flash), but unfotunately can't remember how.

Even if it doesnt have HTML5, you can just download the videos off youtube and play them in a regular video player, this could probably be built into a plugin or something.

quadomatic said:
Youtube has HTML5 support, so if you install chromium or some other browser that supports HTML5 (midori and arora may, but I don't know) then videos will work on Youtube.

As for other places, I don't know...

They should have html5 support but I am not sure how well it really work and what codec are supported. Youtube uses H264.

Last edited by a moderator:
barnesy said:
Does the way youtube works on the iphone without using flash open any possibilities up? Maybe it's not accessible, I dunno, just seems worth asking.

AFAIK the Youtube app in Iphone OS just grabs the MP4 streams.

You could simply download the youtube videos using something like youtube-dl and play them with mplayer, or you could use a greasemonkey script to make the browser use mplayer-plugin for youtube video.

YouTube uses H.264 videos, so Chromium cannot play them afaik. Google adds the codec in Chrome, because they have to pay for it or something.

There's a program called Minitube that is similar to the iPhone's YouTube player, it just uses the FLV streams or whatever.
We might not be able to use Flash directly, but for most sites, there is a way around it.

Is there not a way to build h.264 in to these browsers? I mean, there's x264 and ffh264 and stuff... Couldn't care less about their patents and I'd be fine compiling it if the option is there.

The suggested workarounds (downloading the stream to play in another player etc.) sound like a bit of a ballache just to watch a video of a cat playing a piano. It the Pandora doesn't get native support for Youtube (i.e. you go to the page and it just plays) then I don't think I'd bother personally.

Not that the suggestions are bad or unhelpful or anything, just sayin'.

On the Beagleboard I'm able to use Youtube and some other streaming video sites with a Gnome Mplayer plugin, However Flash games not so much.

kaprikawn said:
The suggested workarounds (downloading the stream to play in another player etc.) sound like a bit of a ballache just to watch a video of a cat playing a piano. It the Pandora doesn't get native support for Youtube (i.e. you go to the page and it just plays) then I don't think I'd bother personally.

Not that the suggestions are bad or unhelpful or anything, just sayin'.
The suggestions are only supposed to be temporary. Something will happen eventually, it'll just take a few weeks for someone to figure it out and write an automatic script to do it. In theory anyway.

Back