Your requests for Pyra videos

Askarus

Forum Addict!
Hello everyone.

finally it's the day for me to ask this question:
What Pyra videos do you want to see?

This and maybe next week I have time to visit EvilDragon and make some Pyra Videos.
I need to go there as he has the video equipment and I have nothing than my phone.

I want to show:
- Web browsing
- LibreOffice
- General desktop usage
- PDF reading
- Programming with Geany Editor. Works great with the right keybinding
- (Maybe) Exagear.

Last time I tried Sound and HDMI was not working. So no need to suggest that.
Same for games.
Battle for Wesnoth might work.
PowerManaga does but not fullscreen.
I might try some of those. And maybe those already packaged as DBP.

For ExaGear:
If you point me to an X86 application not in the ARM repo but in the X86 repo I can show that.

That's it.
Suggestions are welcome.

I don't know if the software is available on the Pyra but I would love to see Moonlight game streaming. I can provide you with access to my gaming PC in Helsinki as a server to play Rocket League for example.

For Exagear, what is the X86 repo ? I would suggest to try a recent 2D indie game like Owlboy for example.
If the Steam client runs on Pyra+Exagear, maybe I could gift you a Steam key of a Linux X86 indie game.

For video playback, I believe the Pyra doesn't have hardware decode yet ? Have we tried 1080p x264 and x265 before ?

I don't know if the software is available on the Pyra but I would love to see Moonlight game streaming. I can provide you with access to my gaming PC in Helsinki as a server to play Rocket League for example.

For Exagear, what is the X86 repo ? I would suggest to try a recent 2D indie game like Owlboy for example.
If the Steam client runs on Pyra+Exagear, maybe I could gift you a Steam key of a Linux X86 indie game.

x86 (i.e. Intel and AMD) and ARM (mobile chips) are different hardware architectures.
They are not compatible. Source code needs to be compiled for each one.
Debian has a Repo for x86 and one for ARM precompiled programs.

I won't do streaming.
Wifi is not good enough at the moment.
The boards with fixed Wifi will arrive later. We have one manually reworked without Nubs. It didn't improve Wifi for me after my tests.

I too have Linux Steam games.
As the GPU driver is not working at the moment I would not focus on gaming too much.

I see, thanks for the reply. As for a x86 application that is not a game and doesn't require 3D acceleration (like google earth), maybe Skype ? But I bet this is not in the repo, you would need to download it from their website.

Another usage I have in mind is to read mangas with MComix. I think it is in the debian repos: https://packages.debian.org/sid/x11/mcomix

I would love to see something that demonstrates the analog nubs. Like a 3D platformer or a first person shooter

The GPU ditnt work currently (needs more Units in developers hands),
So i dotnt think any game would work at this state..

But you could watch the old Pandora Videos from EvilDragon and just mimic them, whit the Pyra,
Like working on big Libre Office Sheeds (Exel), write some text whit the Keyboard,

You could also show how the Pyra gets put in some diverent pockets, and show the running system, working from diverent angles,..

Show something from the Linux, that is one the Pyra, if its in a usable state

Anthing that shows difference of performance between Pyra nubs and Pandora nubs. Same with the shoudler buttons. Do you have an "input test" program for Pyra just as the Pandora has?
Or simply how much better a mouse arrow can now be steered over the screen :)

Web browsing
Find 50 or so assorted web pages: web comics, news sites, forums; nothing fancy. Open them all, see how well they perform and how much memory it consumes, then bookmark them all into a folder, close, restart, and starting from a fresh slate Open All at the same time. This is something that used to have a high risk of causing my 8GB desktop to run out of RAM and grind to a halt.

I would be really happy if you could test Remmina for RDP connections.
For Exagear you would do me a real favor, if you could test Teamviewer:
https://download.teamviewer.com/download/linux/teamviewer_i386.deb
As far as I know, the .deb only installs a repo and the teamviewer binary from there.
Thanks a lot for the proposition to test stuff!
*Edit*:
Would be really awesome, to see the Pyra remote controlling other (non-Pyra) machines with these two solutions.

Last edited:
Not sure if this will be worth a video, a simple answer might be enough:

So I would like to know how problematic the glossy display actually is, how much searching for a reflection free angle is needed? How much does a matte protector (if you have one) change it?. I actually missed the point where ED eventually gave up to fix the grain-issue and only learned it in your thread about pyra experience that we now will have the glossy screen.

So I am eager to know how it does affect the view. So maybe a quick video with different angles, and if available with a matte screen protector. But as I said, maybe just a quick answer about how/if you are got used to it by now might be enough.

Still hoping that there will be at some point in the future a replacement kit with a matte screen. I already have a proposal for a title for that mod, so that all buyers immediately know what it is about, including advantages and disadvantages: "Grain of matte-ness" :D

Last edited:
I was going to ask for a youtube streaming test, but if you're wifi isn't the best, might have to skip it.
How nice is it to plug usb/hdmi/3.5mm cables in? (and remove them)
I would love to know how much of a slap the lid will take when you close it. Do you have to gently close the lid? Can you close it with bit of a click? Would you be able to slam it down if you were in a hurry without snapping the screen? Can you snap it together like a castanet with one hand?
A nice video of typing on the keys whilst holding it in your hands and whilst it is on a desk?
A video showing how precise the nubs and stylus are would be a nice tease. Would love to see how well you can control an FPS game and how fine your skills can be in an image editor of some sort.

Even simple things like showing the unit going into charging mode, being taken off charge. Does it show how much battery is left? Cycling through the different colours of the power button and other indicators.

Last edited:
Everything you listed at the same time, including the 50 or so tabs in a browser mentioned earlier.

It would help if the LibreOffice files and PDFs were decent sized and actively in use. Two or three PDFs and a document and spreadsheet would be similar to what I regularly do.

For me it was the gaming videos that inspired me to plump for a Pandora, so I would share a video of it running a SNES emulator if one of those game out. The lack of sound might be a problem for the recognition of certain classics - is the headphone port also broken?

I guess it might be best to wait until a revision with operational sound. I've already shared your pics of it running an IDE, so I probably wouldn't bother to share a video showing that again (although I would watch it personally).

Most things you want to see are for future updates.

I planned to do some typing.
And you'll see some Nub action ;)

Not sure if this will be worth a video, a simple answer might be enough:

So I would like to know how problematic the glossy display actually is, how much searching for a reflection free angle is needed? How much does a matte protector (if you have one) change it?. I actually missed the point where ED eventually gave up to fix the grain-issue and only learned it in your thread about pyra experience that we now will have the glossy screen.

So I am eager to know how it does affect the view. So maybe a quick video with different angles, and if available with a matte screen protector. But as I said, maybe just a quick answer about how/if you are got used to it by now might be enough.

Still hoping that there will be at some point in the future a replacement kit with a matte screen. I already have a proposal for a title for that mod, so that all buyers immediately know what it is about, including advantages and disadvantages: "Grain of matte-ness" :D

I have a mate Pandora screen.
The Pyra screen is more glossy than that one.
I find it distracting. Don't have a matte screen protector.

There is no matte touchscreen that works well with that resolution on that screen size.
Too high pixel density

There is no matte touchscreen that works well with that resolution on that screen size.

Okay, this is what I thought. But I am still have the feeling that personally I would prefer "not well" working matte screen over a glossy one, which can be considered "working not well" in other regards. I saw the video that ED showed of the grainy screen back than and it looked like I might get used to that one easier than to a glossy screen (of course hard to say if not seen in real life). So I don't want to give up the hope that at some point in the future such a kit will exist (don't have to be done by ED of course, and I can totally understand if he don't want to put even more energy into that topic that he already had to during development). Maybe some 3rd party might consider such a thing. Yep, maybe I am just dreaming, but why not? :)

Okay, this is what I thought. But I am still have the feeling that personally I would prefer "not well" working matte screen over a glossy one, which can be considered "working not well" in other regards. I saw the video that ED showed of the grainy screen back than and it looked like I might get used to that one easier than to a glossy screen (of course hard to say if not seen in real life). So I don't want to give up the hope that at some point in the future such a kit will exist (don't have to be done by ED of course, and I can totally understand if he don't want to put even more energy into that topic that he already had to during development). Maybe some 3rd party might consider such a thing. Yep, maybe I am just dreaming, but why not? :)

Buy a screen protector and be happy.
I might do the same thing,
Depends on how much the touchscreen is affected.

Back