Your Number In Line?

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
This is from the other forum: a post by hede

I have written some ugly script to do the work for us. Test it at http://www.home.unix-ag.org/hede/pandoracounter/.
It's a counter where anyone can add his purchase date. Time/Date must be entered in UTC-Time. That means London Time, GMT, whatever.
Please add the Location where you purchased it as the comment. If it goes down a bomb I will continue my work and add more features :D

You can add your pandora but no one than me can remove any entry so far :p write me if you want to have something removed. Also write me if you have any security concerns or something else goes wrong... It's a very short and ugly hack and I'm a beginner, so I'm not sure if I have done the things right.

(And btw: Yes I know the script is not secure, anyone can put any data he wants, please don't do so :wacko: )

In case someone is wondering my first time is obviously wrong

Bosbeetle said:
This is from the other forum: a post by hede

I have written some ugly script to do the work for us. Test it at http://www.home.unix-ag.org/hede/pandoracounter/.
It's a counter where anyone can add his purchase date. Time/Date must be entered in UTC-Time. That means London Time, GMT, whatever.
Please add the Location where you purchased it as the comment. If it goes down a bomb I will continue my work and add more features :D

You can add your pandora but no one than me can remove any entry so far :p write me if you want to have something removed. Also write me if you have any security concerns or something else goes wrong... It's a very short and ugly hack and I'm a beginner, so I'm not sure if I have done the things right.

(And btw: Yes I know the script is not secure, anyone can put any data he wants, please don't do so :wacko: )

In case someone is wondering my first time is obviously wrong

Cool maybe we'll see a few more people add their order time to the list, mine was already on there. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the list someone ordered 12 devices alone.. isn't that a little bit over the top, considering that so many tried to get into the pre-order queue..?
I was thinking of ordering 2 (an extra one for my nephew), but decided against it because I thought it would be a bit unfair - I was totally certain they would all go. So I decided to wait with ordering the second unit until the 2nd batch.

EDIT: Argh, hede.. you may want to fix your script, it turns out just by looking at the page (not clicking the button, not clicking refresh, just entering the URL and go) it adds another entry.. thus, I'm already twice there, and I'm sure others are getting mistakenly added the same way. Last time I looked the submit field was even filled out with someone else's name, so if I go look again I'm sure that person (who is not me) will be added by mistake.

I hope nobody gets too excited about this list since not everyone has signed it
It says I'm 82 in line right now but I ordered after 2000 had already been sold

Tor said:
According to the list someone ordered 12 devices alone.. isn't that a little bit over the top, considering that so many tried to get into the pre-order queue..?

Not at all. Anyone who wanted one got one. Remember, they didn't stop pre-orders at 3000, they opened it up and took pre-orders until Sunday, with all to be filled. If you ordered 1 or 2 or 12, it didn't make any difference to anyone else. In fact, if enough people ordered large quantities, you may have them to thank for helping push the numbers to the point where the Pandora team relaxed the pre-order limit.

In any case, as I found out later I suspect the large number of entries could well be because of problems with the script - when I re-accessed the page it added myself as another entry! It even tried to add _another_ user too.

I am also on there twice, while I only ordered one unit. But I noticed something else, when I closed the page and opened the link from this thread again, it was entering information from another user.

You should probably try to separate the script from the request and the view (the MVC model, right?). And perhaps clean up all duplicate entries, and have people enter "x2" in the remarks field if they ordered two.

An interesting effort, it's nice to be given an idea of where others are in relation to myself.

Eniko said:
I can't even figure out what UTC time I would put in since winter time has kicked in since ordering. x_x
In my case that's just the time on the order confirmation e-mail. it was the (GB) time sent, different from my timezone.

B.t.w. i did not order 3 either

Nice concept, will be handy to estimate if we made it in time for 2008 Pandora's . . .

Erm is the script buggy or is a immature person wreaking havoc? As I have Additional multiple entries with a different time and comment I didn't add.

This is worthless. Not everyone will enter their purchase time, and I see that some people have entered bogus time (how could anyone order on the 1st January 2007?).

Face it. There's no way to know where you are in the queue. So just get over it and don't worry about the wait (well, as unworried as can be with the semi-chaos still going on around here). Everyone will get their Pandoras in time.

Bosbeetle said:
the author was right it is an ugly script :|
Yea, it was a 5-minute-hack. (OK, it took 2 hours to write but I'm not a programmer, someone else should be able to do it in 5 minutes <_< )

The following I wrote in the other forum:

I didn't continue this work last weekend, the reasons are:

I didn't find a way to do some way of authentication without email registration and I do not want to depend on everyone's email address. (There are enough sites where you have to enter your email address and I do not want to be one of those leaking these to some spammers :p)

First I thought of parsing this forums mail system i.e. registering some bot-user to send everyone asking for access some "access key" via in-board "private message". This is definitely a possible task, but at least I have to ask the forum administrators for admission and this could possibly (but unlikely) turn the board unstable... apart from that it's more work to do than I have time to spend. (at least with my little programming skills ;-))

Does anyone have a good idea?

Second: I'm pretty sure there won't be more than 10% of all pandora preorderers take part in this, so it won't be very reliable anyway... (ok, you will see: "hey, i'm in the second quarter of all preorderers")

At last it's not needed to know these things :eek: you'll get your Pandora "when it's ready"

I think it's looks fine, simple. knocked together. - it works!

Back