Your Hometown

KRH

Does anybody else have a hometown with an embarrassing past (Or Present)?

KRH said:
Does anybody else have a hometown with an embarrassing past (Or Present)?
no, but you are now required to tell your story

spill it

Last edited by a moderator:
jb0yx said:
no, but you are now required to tell your story

spill it
He he.
People found natural gas in my town in the 1880's. Since people never heard of limited resources at the time (And still haven't) we just set up torches of natural gas (LINK) all over the place in addition to sensible things like heating houses and illuminating everything in a 15 mile radius(LINK). An Oil company set up a large office complex that spelled "OIL" from the sky (They still use it). Soon we no has Gas and economy. :(

In the 1960's we got federal funding that could be used to construct flood protection. I guess the city had to chip in a little or something so they turned down the money. It wasn't like the city was built in a Floodplane next to a large river or anything. <_< So we got demolished by a flood in 2007. Our sewer system was built by idiots, so the floodwater has sewage in it.

I also thin we had some politician in the 1900's that made it a tradition to have American flag everywhere, In addition to advocating the annihilation of dandelions or something like that. :)

I came for a country town in Australia called Ballendella. It's the name of an Aboriginal girl who went missing there and never found. Normally, you can't say the name of someone who dies in the local Aboriginal traditions, but because she was never found and therefore never proved dead, I guess it was ok.

Anyway, one of the biggest massacres of aboriginals happened in a town (Echuca) near where I lived. Would have been maybe a hundred years ago.

90% of the world’s popcorn is grown in my state

Michael Jackson grew up about 2 hours from me

We have more interstate intersections in my hometown than anywhere else in the country, eveyone I talk to says "indianapolis, oh I drove through there once" ....well no shit.

that's all I got

The Cuyahoga River once caught fire near lake Erie and prompted the 1972 clean water act.

Town I used to work in produced Maynard from tool. That's embarrassing and cool at the same time somehow.

Our Mayor:
szigr7.jpg

My hometown is the birthplace of most of The Cure.

So I win.

;)

Both the inventor of the bicycle and the inventor of the automobile went to my school :D
In my hometown the first email of Germany was received. Also, the guy after whom the Hertz was named discovered the existence of electromagnetic waves here.

Plus it has so much construction works going on that one would rather kill himself than go by car and it recently pushed through a half-baked but incredibly expensive project which won't be finished before 202X and will likely cause something important to collapse.

And: It has the biggest city-wiki of the world! :D

jb0yx said:
90% of the world’s popcorn is grown in my state

Michael Jackson grew up about 2 hours from me

We have more interstate intersections in my hometown than anywhere else in the country, eveyone I talk to says "indianapolis, oh I drove through there once" ....well no shit.

that's all I got

IIRC Axl Rose & Izzy Stradlin came from there, founders of the best band ever IMO, so I'd say that's pretty awesome. I come from London, really can't be bothered to give a history lesson... :lol:

Back