NES Game discussions

thatgui

Advanced Member
yay, blaster master

Awesome, this was my most wanted game as a kid. Played it once at a friends house, but wasn't unable to get it, as it just wasn't available in the usual places (big supermarkets or rarely an "electronic" store) around my hometown (even my friend only had it, because he brought it back from a Austria holiday).

I played it as a kid, and own it now, just never understood why it was so popular. I think Astynax is much better, and I don't think I have ever come across anyone else mentioning it.
Well no problem with you not liking the game that much, but why the comparison with Astynax ? Never played it, but guessing from a very short look on youtube, it appears ot be a very different game

Blaster Master was the first game I absolutely cracked out on. Good times. I don't see how it compares to Astyanyx (which I may have played for all of 5 minutes as a kid) after firing it up in an emu. A big part of my attraction to BM was the exploration.

Well no problem with you not liking the game that much, but why the comparison with Astynax ? Never played it, but guessing from a very short look on youtube, it appears ot be a very different game
I want really trying to compare gameplay, just that they are both games that are not from the major franchises. What makes one more popular than the other? I am unsure if it is simply due to marketing or something about the games themselves. Astynax isn't even really the type of game I would normally play. The only thing that keeps me going back is the difficulty for me.

I also like Adventure Island. I have a hard time keeping the sequels straight in my head (across different systems, not just NES), however they are ok, even if they don't appeal to me quite as much as the original.

The same with the Lolo games; the first is still my favorite, yet the sequels are also great. I love playing new levels.

I still play Street Fighter 2010 (I think the original title was something else, and they used that name to get seek it using the Street Fighter name, although it had nothing to do with those) from time to time. It is another one of those ones that challenges me. My plan 6 years ago was to complete it before the end of the year, and I failed. When I play it I only play it as it was intended, so no save states or anything like that.

There was another one I was going to mention. I will drop back by when I remember which one it was.

Oh, Ninja Turtles! :D That one was really popular where I lived.

Should we discuss the games that were not so fondly remembered? I can mention a few that were mediocre that I still wasted many hours on. I seem to have forgotten most of the really bad ones.

Almost forgot Duck Tales. So good they brought it back. And A Boy and His Blob (the original and the remake are both fun, even if they feel totally different to me).

I spent about five minutes trying to play A boy and his blob on the gameboy via an emulator when I first set one up, but couldn't work out what to do in that time. Is the NES game any more explanatory than a GB rom?

I don't think I ever played the GB version. The NES version didn't really offer anything to help you, although there may have been some pointers in the manual. I am pretty sure I never completed it, and you really do need to devote some time and memory to it to get anything out of it.

I guess I like games that challenge me in various ways. I also like trying to figure things out, in general, not just in games. I can totally understand why some of them wouldn't appeal to others.

a boy and his blob was a great puzzle game despite being so short. You should watch a "lets play" to help start you off.

part 1, description of the tools

part 2, spoilers on how to pass the first group of puzzles

Last edited:
I want really trying to compare gameplay, just that they are both games that are not from the major franchises. What makes one more popular than the other? I am unsure if it is simply due to marketing or something about the games themselves. Astynax isn't even really the type of game I would normally play. The only thing that keeps me going back is the difficulty for me.
Can't tell about the US of A, but at that time, around here, marketing for video games wasn't really existing: TV ads weren't a thing till the SNES came out and if you were lucky there was a small part of some home computer magazine (which itself weren't very common) reserved for that particular topic. There were only three sources of information about a game > the official Nintendo magazine (which came free with a club membership) the backside of the games box and friends/the schoolyard, and maybe in some comic. OH and of course that "piece of s..t" "Nintendo seal of quality"

Should we discuss the games that were not so fondly remembered? I can mention a few that were mediocre that I still wasted many hours on. I seem to have forgotten most of the really bad ones.
Yes, why not ?

Almost forgot Duck Tales. So good they brought it back. And A Boy and His Blob (the original and the remake are both fun, even if they feel totally different to me).

Only played the GameBoy version once - in Tunesia, found a boy from Toronto who exchanged some games with me during our stay. This way I exchanged one of those crappy, Ocean made license titles I can't even remember the title against Double Dragon (!) - and I could keep it as we wanted to meet the next day again, but they didn't stay till the next day > lucky me.
Where was I ?
Played the remake on the WiiU - nice, but forgettable.

• Postulate: "Sometimes something good can come out from something bad: censorship"
  • study subject: Contra
  • user story:
    Because killing lots of people is theoretically bad, no Rambo lookalikes are allowed, thus those were replaced with freaking awesome robots (popular japanese comic culture was a very rare thing back in the days) and ét voila: Probotector. Which was the sole reason for buying the game in the first place - the badass looking robots on the cover. Usually looking at the back of the box wasn't possible as all the games were locked in a cabinet with a locked glass door, and market employees were always pissed of when children just wanted to have a look). And I think they also tie in better with the whole evil space alien theme.

I have been playing Super Luigi Bros. lately. It would be great to have this on an NES cart. Aside from everything being backwards, I was having more trouble due to using the "wrong" controller. I am doing ok now, but it would be cool to have a new official title all this time later, and I could probably do better with the original controller. The border around it is also irritating.

Back to the Future is a pretty terrible and idiotic game. Unless I am getting mixed up, you went around collecting clocks. Not sure why anyone would want to play that.

Not all games based on movies were that bad. I would probably still enjoy Top Gun if I bothered to give it a shot. Too many games, not enough time.

I don't know which of the neighborhood kids had it, or why we decided to play it, but the T&C Surf Design game is kinda fun. I am much better at it as an adult than I was back then. If only that were true of all the games I used to play.

Lately I've been thinking about playing though Guardian Legend again. I remember absolutely adoring it as a kid, I'm curious to see if it will hold up to my 25 year old memories
[doublepost=1480658787,1480658328][/doublepost]
  • Postulate: "Sometimes something good can come out from something bad: censorship"
  • study subject: Contra
  • user story:
    Because killing lots of people is theoretically bad, no Rambo lookalikes are allowed, thus those were replaced with freaking awesome robots (popular japanese comic culture was a very rare thing back in the days) and ét voila: Probotector. Which was the sole reason for buying the game in the first place - the badass looking robots on the cover. Usually looking at the back of the box wasn't possible as all the games were locked in a cabinet with a locked glass door, and market employees were always pissed of when children just wanted to have a look). And I think they also tie in better with the whole evil space alien theme.
I just happened across Probotector the other day, wondered WTF that was all about, kinda glad you spelled it out ;)

Back