Your favorite game intros

Cannon Fodder - Amiga/CD32
Night Trap - MegaCD

Last edited:
Non-Interactive Intros

UT99: It's not that good, but it sets the mood and I've seen the start so many times...
Fallouts: "War, war never changes"
Pathologic : Sets the mood, and especially one of them which suddenly makes sooooo much sense once you've finished the game (at least in one ending)
Syndicate and Syndicate Wars: Sets the mood with a "show don't tell" mentality.
Flashback: It looked so cool back then
Ultima 7: The guardian coming to speak to "you", the player behind the Avatar, its enigmatic character...
Day of The Tentacle : Fun, really feels like a cartoon
Generally speaking, I find the intros of the SNK fighting games to be pretty nice. Makes you really want to start a game.

Interactive Intros

Advent Rising: Watching the video doesn't do the same effect it did when I played it, but I found the transition from the intro video to the game to be nice. It shows you the impressive stuff, and then it let you take over and see it "for yourself". It's also nice to have this little part of spaceship driving in what is a third person shooter, makes it take a bigger scale.
Unreal: The first level could be seen as a kind of intro, and I think it has a very nice ambiance.

My vote for best intro must go to Three Dirty Dwarves on Saturn. Title music is also great. Damn that person who stole my copy.

More entertaining intro stuff
Edit: And House of the Dead Overkill, NSFW, there's more of those funny sequences during the game

Edit: Burning Rangers has a pretty awesome, anime style intro
And more funky sega pop in Daytona USA

Star Fox intro on SNES is etched into my brain. Short but epic.
Another world, have to second that. Love Rotoscoping.
Case of the Serrated Scalpel, too

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of good things here - but definitely missing is SuperFrog for the Amiga (the Erik Schwartz - Intro).
It was awesome back then :)

The Kingdom Hearts-Series usually also has good intros, but nothing that memorizable.

Assault suits Leynos :

Rolling Thunder 2 Arcade. BTW if you never listened to its whole soundtrack, you should as it's par with fine art like Ghouls'n Ghosts or Strider OST. Megadrive/Genesis version OST is a bit different but interesting too :

Musha :

Last Ninja 3's intro (I think I prefer the C64 intro over the Amiga, but they're both very similar)

Creatures 2...

Interestingly, I like Monkey Island 1's intro - as in, you cut straight to the chase "I'm Guybrush Threepwood, I want to be a Pirate"
MI2's intro is pretty nice too

I forgot one (well probably more, but one I just remembered) in my list: Outcast. But I'm not linking it here, because I'd rather keep the memories I have of it. ;)

I've always loved the "Premiere" intro for the Amiga. I think it was the first proper full intro I'd seen (other than Dragon's Lair)

Back