Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Yinlips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JXD

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

4LPH4 W0LF

Still Fresh
I cant decide which to buy. Caanoo has better support but I like the idea of an Android handheld....any recomendations?

4LPH4 W0LF said:
I cant decide which to buy. Caanoo has better support but I like the idea of an Android handheld....any recomendations?

I found it very difficult to decide what to buy but went for the Caanoo in the end. I plan to buy an Android device at the end of this year (probably the JXD-S601) as I imagine it will be better developed by then (or something better will have appeared). I can't comment on the Caanoo yet as I won't have it until the end of the week but I'm sure I made the right choice at this time. The S601 is half the price of the Caanoo so that makes it even more tempting but in the end you need to risk it and just make a choice or you might spend months bored and wishing you had a cool handheld like I was doing! I think when that perfect handheld comes along it could well be an Android device but for me it's not that time yet. So just buy whatever runs your favourite particular games or emulators the best. You can ask me anything about the Caanoo and i'll try to answer for you when I get it at the weekend. Ask Ruffnutts about the JXD or Yinlips. He's a good chap :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt many have all 3 so hard to be objective, so voted on what I know works well (Caanoo).

For scratching the Android itch I've just got a Asus Prime Transformer and an icontrolpad. Not an obvious gaming set-up, but to be fair MAME & TV out seems to work better than Pandora / Caanoo with this combination, but given the cost its not a very fair comparison.

I only have a Caanoo currently and its a nice device but software support has been disappointing for me. I went without using it for over 6 months, and when I returned to check out any updated emulators and such, there were no updates to anything that I used, aside from the new PSX emulator. If the existing emulators, interpreters and games worked perfectly it wouldn't matter, but they have had serious flaws from the beginning, so the lack of updates to software is really discouraging.

Had the JXD S601 or Yinlips devices been available when I bought my Caanoo about 18 months ago, I would have opted for them, simply to have access to Android's application library. I took a gamble on a device that few had interest in developing for when it was released, and now I'm feeling that it wasn't really worth it. I don't know how well built the competing devices are, but software-wise the Caanoo just isn't meeting my needs. Unless there is something I can do to fix the problems I'm having (such as this), I don't see any reason to keep it when I could sell it, buy an S601 and come out $30-$50 richer.

Given all these issues, I can't recommend a Caanoo, despite it being a well made piece of hardware (aside from the top portion of the screen being covered up... that was a real bonehead move for GPH).

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my caanoo and get a lot of game time out of it.
However it is far from perfect.
There is some good homebrew stuff to play but if your interest is emulation it becomes a hit and miss affair.

On one hand you can play a 32bit PS1 game at full speed with no frame skip with low over clock rate and use the TV Out option (Broken Sword if anyone is wondering on the game I'm referencing)
On the other hand you can't play an 8 bit C64 game at full speed with no frame skip and low overclock rate and use the TV out option.

You see most emulators need tweaking in some way but no one seems to want to take up the challenge. (There are the exceptions but these are very few). Even one of the best emulators picodrive suffers from no TV Out option.

So if you're purchasing for emulation I would check to see which of the 3 has the best support for the emulators you want to use because you might be disapointed if the only emulation you want to use is poor on the device you pick

Back