Yeti3d Engine Mystery - Reward Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
As you will know Yeti3D is a highly optimised 3D engine which was ported to the GP32 and ran at 133mhz.

We wanted to licence it for use on the GP2X but have hit a brick wall - Derek vanished from the internet in 2004. ThunderZ who ported the GP32 version has not heard from him in over a year. Me and Woogal searched and came up with nothing.

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=59

Is the main page about the engine, the Yeti3D homepage has lapsed and is gone.

I'm offering up 50UKP if anyone can get me in contact with Derek J. Evans

Someone must know what happened? Has something bad happened? Did big N buy the engine? Did Derek abandon the engine as a loss?

Thanks,

Craig

doing a quick search I came up with this e-mail adress:
annikapaige[at]bigpond.com
I thought about sending an e-mail to it to make sure, but decided it would be better for you to be the one sending the e-mail.

craigix posted on Feb 3 2006 at 02:21 AM said:
I have already sent an email to it, no reply (yet).
how long ago was that? well, i'll keep searching, not only for the reward but because it would be awsome to have this on the gp2x (that's why you're posting it here, right?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that the GPL version of Yeti3D wasn't the same as the one that was for sale, that there were some features left out. I can't confirm this obviously, seeing as how I've never seen the full version's source (nor the GPL-ed version, for that matter. I figure it's over my head right now.) At any rate, that's probably why craigix wants to talk to this fellow.

What's the difference between the commercial version and the gpl version? And if the commercial version was bough, who would be entitled to use it eg. all devs or devs would have to pay for an individual license

deadlychicken22 posted on Feb 2 2006 at 08:20 PM said:
doing a quick search I came up with this e-mail adress:
annikapaige[at]bigpond.com
I thought about sending an e-mail to it to make sure, but decided it would be better for you to be the one sending the e-mail.

Thats what I get too. I just typed "Derek J. Evans" into google australia because bigpond.com is a broadband company from australia and the only thing google returns is "annikapaige@bigpond.com"

Also searching for derek evans on australian white-pages returns no results.

Ah I knew i could rely on you guys to do some digging, keep up the good work :) I'm sure one of you will get in touch with him soon.

Ok, i've found another e-mail adress:
dmangels [at] bigpond.net.au
I will send him an e-mail and see if he responds.

EDIT: well, my e-mail came back to me, that e-mail adress doesn't exist anymore...

Here's his Australian phone number:

That's the best I could do :)

EDIT: In case Derek's number has changed, try contacting Torlus - he helped with the Yeti3D engine (his name is on some of the screenshots): greg@torlus.com
He's also a member of these forums, under the name Torlus.

[Private information edited out. Please PM this to whoever needs it instead of posting it on a public forum for all to see, you galactic idiot]

FabreNZ posted on Feb 3 2006 at 06:05 PM said:
Here's his Australian phone number:

(08) 8370 0371

That's the best I could do :)

EDIT: In case Derek's number has changed, try contacting Torlus - he helped with the Yeti3D engine (his name is on some of the screenshots): greg@torlus.com
He's also a member of these forums, under the name Torlus.

EDIT2: If all else fails, try contacting the company that previously hosted his website (theteahouse.com.au) to see if they still have his contact details: vendercom@vendercom.com Although you may have a better chance if you speak to them: + 61-3-9589-7946 (9am-5pm ACDT)

Tried his aussie phone number, it's no longer connected sadly. The number for his web providers sent me to a company called Trellion (sp?).

EDIT: Torlus: 6th January 2006 - 09:35 PM. There's a chance, then. I doubt we'll get anything out of Vendercom though, privacy laws and all that.

Allan.

Well, his hosts might not be able to disclose contact information, but if you explain the situation (i.e. you want to pay him a lot of money), then they might be willing to contact him on your behalf with details for him to contact you if they get through...

(08) 8370 0371

Hmm that looks like a perth number

try 08 9370 0371

I could look up the local phone directory

or you could try yellow or white pages online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back