Xvid Sync Problem

joele

Still Fresh
I very recently got a GP2x and am a bit annoyed with the video playback.. It seems that all the XVID encoded videos I have tried so far are out of sync by a fraction of a second. It is not REAL bad but it is instantly noticable when you get close ups of people and gets rather annoying...

Is there a known fix for this? or is it just my xvids, they work fine on my PC and DVD player, just out of sync on the GP2x.. I tried downgrading the video, made it 320x240 and not even 200kbps and it was still out of sync..

I am using 2.1.1 firmware on a revision (B) device..

A fraction of a sec? You shouldn't be complaining! My video's sync is like 2-3 seconds too late damnit!

I think its been mentioned before, but a new replacement media player along the lines of XBMC on the xbox would be a killer app for the GP2X, as it allows audio resync'ing on the fly, along with about a zillion other features.

My videos sync perfectly. As said before, try reencoding the audio in CBR, VBR in AVI's isn't 'officially' supported by the format and often gets bad results.

hi guys i had this problem before when i was using mp2x then i changed back to the original one and it was fine :blink:.
I also tried a bigger better quality video which made no difference.

cHEM posted on Mar 2 2007 at 11:36 AM said:
I think its been mentioned before, but a new replacement media player along the lines of XBMC on the xbox would be a killer app for the GP2X, as it allows audio resync'ing on the fly, along with about a zillion other features.

It would really help if there were some decent programmer's documentation on how to drive the hardware accelerated video decoder ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the syncing problem something to do with NTSC/PAL.
I know xbmc has an auto-fix in it to keep things in sync.
Most xvids off BT appear to be NTSC and I get problems where the audio drifts if I play NTSC xvids through my tv dvd player.

I always reencode using pocketdivx (resize to 320x240 and lower the bitrate). It only takes like 20 minutes for a full film. The result is smaller file size, lower battery consumption (lower bit rate = underclock), and zero sync issues (be sure to encode CBR). It's worth the tiny bit of effort involved.

kevcal posted on Mar 3 2007 at 01:26 PM said:
Isn't the syncing problem something to do with NTSC/PAL.
I know xbmc has an auto-fix in it to keep things in sync.
Most xvids off BT appear to be NTSC and I get problems where the audio drifts if I play NTSC xvids through my tv dvd player.
LOL, absolutely not.
Check the audio stream of those movies, it is most certainly a VBR (variable bitrate stream). As already mentioned, it´s not the fault of the Device or the video standard, just reencode the Videos with a constant audio bitrate.

markiej posted on Mar 5 2007 at 05:16 PM said:
I always reencode using pocketdivx (resize to 320x240 and lower the bitrate). It only takes like 20 minutes for a full film. The result is smaller file size, lower battery consumption (lower bit rate = underclock), and zero sync issues (be sure to encode CBR). It's worth the tiny bit of effort involved.

That was an excellent tip! Thank you!
I just re-encoded my movie running out of sync, and pocketdivx did the trick!
I recommend this!

Just like to say... I've actually put up a customized GP2X rip pack on archive.gp2x.de which I've used time and again, and I've not yet had a single Sync issue with XviD rips!

I can't claim to have made the software it uses (VirtualDub) but the settings scripts, I spent hours changing settings, testing video, tweaking and so on.

Recommend it if you want reasonable quality videos on your GP2X with tiny file sizes and zero sync error.

GCDKraven posted on Mar 7 2007 at 04:21 AM said:
Just like to say... I've actually put up a customized GP2X rip pack on archive.gp2x.de which I've used time and again, and I've not yet had a single Sync issue with XviD rips!

I can't claim to have made the software it uses (VirtualDub) but the settings scripts, I spent hours changing settings, testing video, tweaking and so on.

Recommend it if you want reasonable quality videos on your GP2X with tiny file sizes and zero sync error.

That's a nice package indeed, A file that was like 93MB with PocketDIVx, is only 25 mb with your package..
But now I tried an other movie, and got this error: No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the scource audio format (0055)..
You can't have it all I guess.. :(

Another issue that I get when playing video: If it's a long video like a movie, when I rewind or fast forward and audio goes out of sync like 5 seconds.

Samba Pa Ti posted on Mar 7 2007 at 11:35 AM said:
the Xvid.exe file in the zip just setoff my antivirus (pc cillin) anyone get similar warnings ? or is a false positive.

says its infected with "Rap_generic" http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/v...vGrayware=11791

The site you gave says this
(..)Many remote access programs are legitimate tools used by all types of users to access files and data on remote computers. The same programs, however, can be used for malicious purposes(..)
Guess this can be considered a "legitimate tool", and you have nothing to worry about..
I have kaspersky antivirus, it didn't complain, and my system is still running properly as you can see :p

Back