Beta Xlincity

MarkoeZ

arr matey?
Website
projectinfinity.org.uk
Hello!

I did a quick port of xLinCity, an open source SimCity clone. (the original, not ng)
I altered game saving and file loading for PND support, all seems to be working nice.

Only thing is, i never played it before :p so im not sure it plays as it's supposed to. Sooooo any testers? Want to make sure it runs properly before i upload it to the archive. edit: It's all pnd packaged and should be nand write free (if you are absolutely strict on that, don't try it. Think i caught them all but never know for certain on a first quick port)

* Get it Here *

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

GizmoTheGreen said:
ive always wondered, what doe sthe -ng at the end of some packages mean?
AFAIK Next Generation. (eg in initng atleast...)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Next Gen is what I was thinking as well... at least that's what everything I have seen previous to this moment has lead me to believe...

Next gen was my thought as well. And indeed that is the new version. This is just old school simcity.
And i can't complain about the discussion, it's keeping the topic active, but did anyone actually try the pnd? :p

Cheers!

torpor said:
Brilliant! Nice job MarkoeZ! Another great port ..
Thanks! but i's not finished yet :)
I now have it working fullscreen (thanks to a code snippet supplied by PokeParadox) and am adjusting the screen layout to make full advantage of the pandora screen size and shape. Already enlarged the playing area to about as big as it can get.

Fully working, PND packaged snaphot here.

Next i want to make the buttons (in help, or the menu) a bit more Pandora friendly.

Cheers!

I don't know LinCity yet but I loved the old SimCity games, especialy SimCity 2000 :)
Could you do some Screenshots of the game running onto Pandora? ^^

Ok updated version is on the appstore, pending on the archive.

Now running fullscreen, i also made the buttons in the menu and the help a bit larger for easy clickability, and some minor layout changes to maximise playing area on the pandora screen.

Cheers!

Ah, I've seen it. Looks like the 1. PC Sim City, in the Net, I've spotted cool graphics in the NG version. Will this be also ported to the Pandora? Looks much better :)

fusion_power said:
Ah, I've seen it. Looks like the 1. PC Sim City, in the Net, I've spotted cool graphics in the NG version. Will this be also ported to the Pandora? Looks much better :)

Yep, it LOOKS like sim city 1. But after playing it, i can say it has quite a lot more gameplay options than the original.

That said, i am trying to get LincityNG compiling on the pandora, but i get an error on libxml-2.0. I tried installing libxml2 from the Angstrom repo, but then it still says: "Package libxml-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path" (Yah, linux noob here)
If anyone has tips: Please :) And otherwise i'll just continue investigating.

Cheers!

Edit: LincityNG is OpenGL, and that's beyond my current knowledge to convert to ES. So if anyone else is interested: Have fun! because i was looking forward to that one as well ;) And im more than willing to help on optimising for the pandora if the gl issue is fixed.

Alerino said:
aren't icons too small?

What icons? And too small for clickability, compared to the original, or for viewing? Please explain a bit more because this is not really constructive.

Cheers!

Alerino said:
Markoez, i'm sorry for the lack of details of my previous post.
overall, i think the icons and fonts could be a little bit bigger. That would improve clickability, imo. Also the lower part of the window is cut, have to hold shift to move window. Please don't take what i say as a rule, i'm in the 30s, so my eyes are not the same when i used to play the orig SimCity in the early 90's.
I'll try to play with it some more, and report here to help you.
thanks, it's getting awesome.

Errrr, what version are you using? because i uploaded an updated fullscreen version to both the appstore and the archive a couple of days ago. No more window :)

The icons: I'm not touching those, they are original graphics and i can't draw.
The text: I looked into that already, but it seems one font is used for the entire game. And to change that would mean A LOT of rewriting and layout changes throughout the whole game. Think it's a bit too much for me to do, sorry.

Thanks for the feedback!

MarkoeZ

Back