Beta Xfe

sebt3

homebrew player (P. & C.)
Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
Hi boys,

As gtk seem to be a pain to create a filemanager (I guess that the nazi aren't far away...), I choosed to package a filemanager that don't depend on gtk but on FOX.

Look at the screenies. (yeah not beautifull, but it work as intended :p )
Download the pnd.

Explain what's wrong with this one :)

Whats wrong with it? Just one small thing: it doesnt work! :)

"Error loading icons. Please check your icon path"

The screenies do look nice though, hope you can get it working.

Lobo said:
Whats wrong with it? Just one small thing: it doesnt work! :)

"Error loading icons. Please check your icon path"

The screenies do look nice though, hope you can get it working.

I was sure my quick fix (at 2am I had to go to bed...) wouldn't make it.... That's the main reason why it is there.

To fix :
Edit->Preferences
in the "Theme" tab at the bottom (us the shift trick to see the bottom)
Change the icon theme to one of the directory within /mnt/utmp/xfe/share/icons/*.
Apply and enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No, sorry man. False alarm, turns out I was trying the wrong app!

I was clicking on all those xf# things in the accessories menu, then after a reboot I noticed xfe in the system menu.

Looks good so far. I will give it a bit of use over the next day or two and let you know how it goes.

Lobo said:
No, sorry man. False alarm, turns out I was trying the wrong app!

I was clicking on all those xf# things in the accessories menu, then after a reboot I noticed xfe in the system menu.

Looks good so far. I will give it a bit of use over the next day or two and let you know how it goes.
Ahh, yeah, my fix was only for xfe, not the others. But once xfe is launched, the others don't complain (using the same config file for this part)
I will update the launch scripts for the others once someone report that my trick worked.

God Ginrai said:
Lol, that looks like it jumped straight out of Win95. ;P
Yeahh, so agree. There is an win95 theme, but the others look like win95 too :D

OK, now those other apps work. Guess the secret is to run xfe first.

Nice one! This is looking way better than Thunar!

Lobo said:
OK, now those other apps work. Guess the secret is to run xfe first.
Ok so I fixed the others tools startup script using the same trick as for xfe.
And as you seems positive, it have made the archive.

thanks for help :)

I just wanted to ask if this has a searchfunction like the windows explorer. I wanted to play some music in xmms and tried to search my harddrive for a song.
With the commandline you can't simply drag and drop files from the filemanager to the application and tunar doesn't seem to have a search application.

mcobit said:
I just wanted to ask if this has a searchfunction like the windows explorer. I wanted to play some music in xmms and tried to search my harddrive for a song.
With the commandline you can't simply drag and drop files from the filemanager to the application and tunar doesn't seem to have a search application.
this dont look like to have a search function.

sorry for gravedigging, but I really see no point in starting a new thread...

the fonts on this are TINY, and if you increasable them they pixelate like hell. Is there any way to fix that?

Pleng said:

the fonts on this are TINY, and if you increasable them they pixelate like hell. Is there any way to fix that?

My screens don't look like yours! The top menu bar only shows first list of each. When I select the menu that drops down is only 2 (maybe 3 characters) wide. Any ideas?

Edit: Checking all my 'windows' in this seem to be 'squished' when I open them. Not usable at the moment.

Pleng said:
In the beta section, there is no grave, only old thread ;)

Pleng said:
Beside voting for this ?

Esn said:
Just want to chime in here to say that I love this. It's my default file browser now, because the official one crashes for me sometimes.
I'm glad you like this one ;)

Ok, time to start another "semi-official" thread about a program because an official one was never posted by the guy who ported it, sebt3. ;)

I've been using Xfe as much as possible recently, because the Pandora's default one (Thunar) has a bug where randomly, the file selection window loses focus and I cannot select any files, so I have to restart it and try again. Rather annoying to be interrupted like this all the time. I also like Xfe's interface better - the only thing it's really missing is a search option. (which NO file manager on the Pandora has, AFAIK, and this is definitely one area where Windows wins).

Anyway, I also wanted to ask sebt3 if he knows what to make of this .out file that I got today, after Xfe crashed for the first-ever time:

Code:
=======================================================================================
PND_SCRIPT      : pnd_run.sh
PND_ARGS        : -p /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/System//xfe.pnd -e scripts/xfe.sh -b xfe
PND             : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/System//xfe.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs
APPDATADIR      : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/xfe
APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>
EXENAME         : scripts/xfe.sh
ARGUMENTS       : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[14h52m56   START ]=== Mount the PND ==================================================
[14h52m56    INFO ]   Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/pnd/xfe"
[14h52m56    INFO ]   Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/xfe=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/xfe=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/xfe"
[14h52m57 SUCCESS ]=== Mount the PND ==================================================
[14h52m57   START ]=== Starting the application (scripts/xfe.sh ) =====================
[14h53m18    INFO ]   df: unrecognized option '--block-size=1'
[14h53m19    INFO ]   BusyBox v1.13.2 (2010-06-27 17:35:25 CEST) multi-call binary
[14h53m19    INFO ]   
[14h53m20    INFO ]   Usage: df [-Pkmhai] [-B SIZE] [FILESYSTEM...]
[14h53m20    INFO ]   
[14h53m20    INFO ]   Print filesystem usage statistics
[14h53m21    INFO ]   
[14h53m21    INFO ]   Options:
[14h53m22    INFO ]   -P	POSIX output format
[14h53m22    INFO ]   -k	1024-byte blocks (default)
[14h53m23    INFO ]   -m	1M-byte blocks
[14h53m23    INFO ]   -h	Human readable (e.g. 1K 243M 2G)
[14h53m24    INFO ]   -a	Show all filesystems
[14h53m24    INFO ]   -i	Inodes
[14h53m25    INFO ]   -B SIZE	Blocksize
[14h53m26    INFO ]   
[14h53m26    INFO ]   /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 387:  4427 Segmentation fault      "./$EXENAME" $ARGUMENTS
[14h53m27  FAILED ]=== Starting the application (scripts/xfe.sh ) =====================
[14h53m27   START ]=== uMount the PND =================================================
[14h53m28    INFO ]   cleanup done
[14h53m28 SUCCESS ]=== uMount the PND =================================================
Return code is : 1

I was using Audacity to record some audio at the time, and it crashed when I tried to see how much space was left on my SD card. I opened it again and tried to do that again, and it crashed at the same spot.

Esn said:
Ok, time to start another "semi-official" thread about a program because an official one was never posted by the guy who ported it, sebt3. ;)
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55388-xfe/

Esn said:
Anyway, I also wanted to ask sebt3 if he knows what to make of this .out file that I got today, after Xfe crashed for the first-ever time:
It look like XFE use the df command to know the ssize of the file system. On pandora we are not using the standard DF command for a matter of space, we're using the busybox version. This one is more limited and handle way less option. that's the why of the error

Oops, thanks for reminding me of that thread. I had searched for "Xfe" in the forum search box but got 0 results.

It would make more sense to merge this topic with that thread, then, so that this information is in one place.

Thanks for letting me know what went wrong!

Okay, seems I've stumbled onto a potentially serious problem. Files that you "send to trash" don't actually get deleted, but are sent to appdata/xfe/.local/share/Trash/files. No wonder my SD card was filling up so quickly!

Is there a way to actually permanently delete files? Maybe I'm missing something...

EDIT: Of course, really silly of me. It's right up there in the menu at the top.

It's possible that emptying the trash caused some cross-linking on my SD card.

I ran a "chkdsk /f" on it in Windows, and it said
Code:
\pandora\appdata\xfe\.local\share\Trash\files\gconv\IBM1390.so is crosslinked on allocation unit 819840

Back