Xbmc: Xbox Media Center - Softmod Help

Website
Visit site
This is the only forum that I frequent, so I was hoping someone here might have some help for me.

I would have never thought about buying a M$ Xbox, until I heard about XBMC... does anyone know how to do a softmod install and what I need. There are tutorials on XBox Scene, but they all contradict each other or say that their way is the best.

Has anyone actually done the install?

From what I understand I have to install a FTP server on the XBox and copy some files and execute them.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,

Mike

This is the tutorial I followed. It covers the actual softmod and it's fairly simple and straightforward. You'll probably also want to follow this one so you can have a large hard drive in your XBox. Installing the XBMC as your dash is simple after that, just grab the package and put it in the Dashboard folder on the E:\ partition, replacing the Default.xbe in that directory.

You may also be interested in this. It's a compatibility list for hard drives to be used with the XBox.

I just use Avalaunch for my Dash which has like a built in FTP server. I then use FlashFXP on the PC to connect to the Xbox FTP and just drag the XBMC folder onto my Xbox into the correct folder.

Luckily my Xbox was Pre Modded with a 250gb Hard Drive and Dashboard etc already installed :) I just had to figure out how to use it all :D

It realy is great, Plays every video file I throw at it and it is great for Divx / Xvid films (Saves converting them to DVD and you can fit 6 Xvid films on one DVD!! :D)

All of the dashboards have built in FTP servers. I'm sure most of them also have the ability to connect to SMB shares and run stuff off of them (I know that the XBMC does, not sure about the others.) XBMC also has better multimedia capabilities built in than other dashboards, making it IMO the best all around dash for most people.

Ravnos posted on Oct 21 2006 at 09:28 PM said:
All of the dashboards have built in FTP servers. I'm sure most of them also have the ability to connect to SMB shares and run stuff off of them (I know that the XBMC does, not sure about the others.) XBMC also has better multimedia capabilities built in than other dashboards, making it IMO the best all around dash for most people.

... there are degrees in terms of how well the FTP implementations shipped with the various dashboards work. For example, the XBMC implementation seems pretty decent with support for passive mode (haven't tried FXP yet), while the EvoX-one is very basic -- only supports active mode etc. (which isn't great for someone like me, who has a fairly complex LAN topology).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back