Release Xbindkeys Precompiled

lomaxx

I precompiled and uploaded xbindkeys as tarball here:

http://userpages.uni-koblenz.de/~bbrink/tmp/xbindkeys-1.8.3_prebuild.tar.gz

tarball-size: 267012 bytes

It allows you to configure shortkeys, which - when pressed - start applications. XFCE offers this too (start->Settings->Keyboard->Application Shortcuts), but because i am used to xbindkeys, because you can use it also if you choose to switch to a different X-desktop-environment and because i had some strange problems with the configuration of shortkeys in xfce, i prefer to use xbindkeys.

The tarball includes the source-code for completeness. But you just need to copy the .xbindkeys-binary (only 108846 bytes) to some location you prefer (i created ~/bin/ for that and added it to my PATH) and assign it to the programs that are automatically started on session-launch. After that you have to create/edit a file in your home-directory named ".xbindkeysrc". Here is the example-config.

Code:
# For the benefit of emacs users: -*- shell-script -*-
###########################
# xbindkeys configuration #
###########################
#
# Version: 1.8.3
#
# If you edit this file, do not forget to uncomment any lines
# that you change.
# The pound(#) symbol may be used anywhere for comments.
#
# To specify a key, you can use 'xbindkeys --key' or
# 'xbindkeys --multikey' and put one of the two lines in this file.
#
# The format of a command line is:
#    "command to start"
#       associated key
#
#
# A list of keys is in /usr/include/X11/keysym.h and in
# /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h
# The XK_ is not needed.
#
# List of modifier:
#   Release, Control, Shift, Mod1 (Alt), Mod2 (NumLock),
#   Mod3 (CapsLock), Mod4, Mod5 (Scroll).
#

# The release modifier is not a standard X modifier, but you can
# use it if you want to catch release events instead of press events

# By defaults, xbindkeys does not pay attention with the modifiers
# NumLock, CapsLock and ScrollLock.
# Uncomment the lines above if you want to pay attention to them.

#keystate_numlock = enable
#keystate_capslock = enable
#keystate_scrolllock= enable

# Examples of commands:

"xbindkeys_show"
  control+shift + q

# set directly keycode (here control + f with my keyboard)
"xterm"
  c:41 + m:0x4

# specify a mouse button
"xterm"
  control + b:2

#"xterm -geom 50x20+20+20"
#   Shift+Mod2+alt + s
#
## set directly keycode (here control+alt+mod2 + f with my keyboard)
#"xterm"
#  alt + c:0x29 + m:4 + mod2
#
## Control+Shift+a  release event starts rxvt
#"rxvt"
#  release+control+shift + a
#
## Control + mouse button 2 release event starts rxvt
#"rxvt"
#  Control + b:2 + Release

##################################
# End of xbindkeys configuration #
##################################

This might be a little confusing but in the end it's easy. For example i defined 4 shortkeys so far:

Code:
"sudo /usr/bin/chvt 1"
Control + Alt + 1

"/usr/bin/xterm -maximize -bg black -fg white"
Control + Alt + 2

"/usr/bin/xterm -maximize -bg black -fg white -e 'cd /media/trans8/multimedia-data/; /media/trans8/claunch/claunch'"
Control + Alt + 3

"~/scripts/lmx_trigger_wlan.sh"
Control + Alt + 4

If you want to find out a name of a key, then i can recommend to use "xev". It's in the repository and only 16800 bytes large. Just run it from a terminal-window and all keypresses/-releases you execute after that are shown.

EDIT: The also included command "xbindkeys_show" won't work as it depends on the command "wish". I didn't fix this, because i see no real (or important) use for "xbindkeys_show".

I'm not sure if i really have been clear enough about what i wanted to say. The point is, that xbindkeys is a stand-alone-program. So it should work in any X-environment as long as you are able to start xbindkeys somehow. If you switch from XFCE (with a running xbindkeys) to Minimenu then your shortkeys will not work. But if you then press "select" in MiniMenu and choose "run a terminal/console", then you can start "xbindkeys &" there and your shortkeys will work as long as you are the terminal. In MiniMenu itself they still will not work. At the moment i am not 100% sure why. Maybe because MiniMenu is grabbing keys itself. What i can say is that the xbindkeys-process i still running, because if you open a terminal again (from MiniMenu), then your shortkeys are still working.

I just misread what you wrote, that's all... you said what you meant to say, I just interpreted it differently than you meant for it to be. No big, I get what you're saying now. :D

Back