Pandora Www.open-Pandora.net

_David_

Website
open-pandora.net
Hello,

I just started a new website www.open-pandora.net

The goal is the have an optimized 800*480 so Pandora owners can browse the web from their handheld, and enjoy Pandora oriented content from their Pandora.

the FAQ / Knowledge Base is ready and the chat still needs some optimization

Any help is appreciated.

Enjoy you day,

David

I think the openpandora.org site and app store will be optimized for pandora's screen resolution soon enough

Tell you what, 90% of my internet surfing time i'm doing on a eeePC 701 screen, 800x480 resolution, same as Pandora.

Actually it works pretty nicely, Windows status bar at the bottom, small Google Chrome menu including bookmark toolbar on the top, a lot to see. The ONLY website that I have come across so far that I had problems with so that I had to temporarily set the resolution higher was thepiratebay, because the ads on the sides cut out a lot of the torrent information. Everything else works nicely, especially with the F11 button for fullscreen viewing.

Here's a screenshot:
zn4zs0.jpg

Of course the Pandora screen is smaller in total, but really, we'll get used to it, no need to set up "dedicated" pandora screen size websites.

There are two kinds of page layouts: floating or fixed-size. This forum uses a floating size which means that no adjustment is needed to view it on the Pandora (except for maybe changing font sizes). Then there's fixed-size pages which typically are 960 pixels wide, e.g. http://pandorawalls.dyndns.org/ (Running on Drupal using the default theme engine with some theme I picked up from somewhere). 960 was chosen because it allows the page to include a small border, and for the browser to include a window border, along with some side toolbars etc. on a 1024x768 pixel screen.

If I were you, I'd either develop a floating size template, or stick to the 960px standard; most modern browsers have a "zoom-out" feature anyways. If you REALLY want to adopt an optimized layout, however, it should be as easy as search-replacing your CSS-file for "960" and replace it with "740". But, as I said, not recommended.

Also, you might consider doing more than just changing the style sheet of your template; the layout is equally important.

Also, it might not be a good idea to start a new site for the sole purpose of getting one optimized for the Pandora's screen size. Get some gimmick or purpose for the site first (maybe you forgot to mention what it was?).

*Also*, NEVER use Joomla! It's horrible! Use Drupal or WordPress instead! I'm serious, Joomla introduces so many headaches because of its weird modularity and is horrible all around in my opinion. It has security issues and very few still use it for new sites. Don't be one of them.

Thanks dflemstr,

I was actually hesitating between Joomla and e107 - If you really believe Drupal is the way to go I can give a try.
I had chosen Joomla because of the huge choice of modules/plugin/templates..

--David

Thanks for the screenshot Wolfsclaw !

Im happy to see that surfing 800X480 is not that bad after all.

That will be give more time to focus on the content.

--David

My default resolution on my desktop PC is actually 800x600. The internet is still readable. :)

Most websites with wider resolutions have several columns, anyway, so you can usually avoid scrolling left & right.

I did recommend a while ago that the Pandora file archive adopt a 800px-wide resolution, but people said that zooming out would be good enough...

grasshoppir said:
modx is a great framework; drupal is probably even better, but more complicated; joomla is horrible

I still haven't found a Content Management System that I entirely liked.. Which has me making my own from the ground up for the Site I own at work. I've used PostNuke is the past, but it's so limiting and it was the first CMS I started using almost 8-9 years ago. CMSMadeSimple isn't bad if you want to create your own Web Framework and insert a CMS into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Esn said:
My default resolution on my desktop PC is actually 800x600. The internet is still readable. :)

Wow... I'm so used to my horizontal res being over 2000. I don't have any serious browsing planned on an 800x480 screen.

It's all games for me. ;)

Kramy said:
Wow... I'm so used to my horizontal res being over 2000.

Me too. But I don't mind browsing the web on my PSP or phone at all.

Sometimes I even set my browser width to 800px so I can code along side it. (I really, really need a second screen :()

Butterman said:
Kramy said:
Wow... I'm so used to my horizontal res being over 2000.

Me too. But I don't mind browsing the web on my PSP or phone at all.

Sometimes I even set my browser width to 800px so I can code along side it. (I really, really need a second screen :( )
I have two screens, and believe me: the only effect of having two will be that you'll be coding on two projects simultaneously while also using two browser windows at the same time. You'll just split your attention more, while not necessarily becoming more efficient.

Although the idea of creating a website solely for the purpose of it being optimised for the Pandora's screen resolution may be a bit misguided, I think he does raise a serious point about making sure websites commonly used by Pandorians (e.g. open-pandora.org, pandorapress.net and the GP32X forums) more usable on lower screen resolutions. For example, if one were to use this forum on a screen with an 800x480 resolution, the navigation bar at the top (with links to the main site, etc.) would mess up because of the length of the link to the main site. A simple solution to this would be to change the link text from "GP32Xtreme - GP32 GP2X Pandora The Wiz - open source entertainment" to "GP32X Main Site" or something along those lines. A better solution would be to edit the CSS to better cope with the navigation bar overflowing, of course, but to be honest, shortening the link text would probably be good enough for most people.

There's no reason to torture small-screen users with your 1024x768-optimized site. Just use "width:100%; max-width:960px;", and let the layout fit on any resolution. I think the age of the site that has complete control over how users see it has long set, no more 10px fonts either...

Alex. said:
There's no reason to torture small-screen users with your 1024x768-optimized site. Just use "width:100%; max-width:960px;", and let the layout fit on any resolution. I think the age of the site that has complete control over how users see it has long set, no more 10px fonts either...
I hate sites that limit everything to a teeny tiny column in the center.

On 2048 or 2560 pixel wide monitors, 960 looks so small. :lol:

I just added the picture galerie so future Pandora owner can upload pictures or video.

There's no logo yet. Anyone has talent for this ?

I'd really like to be ready for the "official Launch" of the Pandora .

-David

_David_ said:
I just added the picture galerie so future Pandora owner can upload pictures or video.

There's no logo yet. Anyone has talent for this ?

I'd really like to be ready for the "official Launch" of the Pandora .

-David
I still don't understand why you insist on creating that web page, but if you still insist...
You can use the same theme that I use for http://pandorawalls.dyndns.org/ , it is really Pandora-ish. Contact me and I'll send you the ZIP

Back