Wtb Small P3 Laptop

Fyvve

Website
Visit site
So my mom just got a brand new tiny laptop. Its got like a 12" screen and weighs less than 4 lbs. Got me to thinking how nice it would be to have a really small computer for myself. I don't think i can afford anything faster than a p3 especially since this is just for screwing around on the internet and email and maybe some emulation of old systems. Also, I travel alot and it would be nice to watch my downloaded shows and whatnot. Ive been looking at Dell ls400 and the like but i am sure there has to be more out there. My only specification is that its small and light. Id say my budget isnt over $200. Maybe thats not enough. Anyone have any suggestions?

HEY
you lucky one
Ive just found on ebay a 10.4" touchscreen laptop with a P3 800; 256M RAM and 20 GB HDD dor around 200 bucks
http://cgi.ebay.ca/FUJITSU-LIFEBOOK-TOUCHS...1QQcmdZViewItem
you should look around, maybe more items like that available
anyway, Im also looking for a 10.4" laptop, but I think I gonna get a Panasonic R6, 2GB RAM and 120GB HDD with 8hrs autonomy (around 2500 bucks)
Need to find the money before :'(

see you :lol:

Damn that is cool, good find. I wonder how good the screens are on those. I forgot for a moment how bad (dim) the screens are on old laptops.

speedmike posted on Mar 31 2007 at 06:43 PM said:
You probably want windows but ibook 500 mhz are running in the 200s for a 12 incher.

iBook Blowout

yeah i do want a pc but only because i dont know anything about macs. Is that fast enough to play medium to high quality divx and xvid? My 650mhz laptop has trouble with the high quality stuff so i doubt it. They are pretty classy though. I like their style.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is divx and xvid you want, then pc will do a lot better that a mac. I had some trouble getting a xvid to run today on my powerbook g3 500mhz. I had to convert the divx using Divx Doctor and that was just a pain in the ass because I had to wait to watch it. The xvid didn't even want to play in VLC and I should have all the proper codecs. A PC is just better than a mac at somethings. Of course, I have dated mac hardware. Plus those iBook 500s sometimes have crappy Mobos.

Good Luck and tell us what you get.

I was telling my girlfriend about this plan to buy a small laptop and she wants one too (only she will spend a bit more than me.) The thing is though she wants to sell her current laptop first. I just don't know how much i should be asking for it. Its a Compaq presario 2500 (says 2535 on the bottom.) P4 2.4 ghz, 15" screen, 192 mb ram, xp pro, battery lasts about an hour and a half. Its a pretty nice computer if a little big. It looks like on eBay they are going for ~300-400. i expected it to be worth more since the ones im looking to get are fairly slow P3s for around $200. There seems to be a discrepancy, no? is $300-400 a fair price?

Edit: Forgot some things and typos

I have been looking into the Fujitsu lifebooks and dell c400,d400 and l400. This caused me to start looking into the Pentium-M series processors. See some of the lifebooks have them and i think all the dell d series have them (thats the difference between the d series and the c and l series.) My understanding is that the m processors are a "custom" P-III made specifically for mobile applications. So my question is: Is there any reason why i should go for a regular P-III over an M series? From what i have read the M series actually perform much higher at similar clock speeds than regular pentiums. Does that sound like i have it right?

I highly recommend the M series. I have a M series from a modified P4 that runs at 1.7GHz, but it feels faster than that.

Back