Wtb: Jxd 301

palmertech

Well, I really want one, and jr2swiss is not responding to post or PM, so here is this thread. Does anyone else have one they would part with? I can pay cash, or trade stuff, or trade stuff+cash. I am also willing to consider other blackfin based devices. Any offers?

OOOOHH, nice. How is the GBA emulation on it? The main reason I am looking for one here is that people can trade stuff, as opposed to cash. I am willing to trade a ds lite with a custom crimson, black, and clear case for one of these. So, if anyone is willing...

They claim to have the best GBA emulation but its really hard to find the roms. There is a video on engadget that shows the player in action its actually really nice.

Wait, are the gba roms hard to find because it needs some freaky format, like the Neo Geo needing .neo files? Or are you implying that GBA roms are hard to find? Because they are most certainly not. Of course, I only play games I dump from my own carts... ;)

Any links? The only other gba format I have ever seen is .bin, and that likely would be a deal breaker. Maybe you are mistaken, I knew the neo geo emu needed weird files, but never heard anything about gba.

Why in the world would you need a special format for GBA ROMs, that's crazy. I'd love to know more about the emulator this uses. My educated guesses by the compatibility reports are..

- Fixed frame skip, probably stuck at fs1. Aladdin is reported as blinking turning into disappearing and auto frameskip wouldn't do this.
- Because of the bugs it seems like it isn't a port of an existing one. I think the only viable options would be VBA and gpSP, and it doesn't seem like it's either because of compatibility problems.
- Whether it uses a recompiler or an interpretive core is a total toss-up, reports say that Duke Nukem Advance and Doom 2 run very slowly, and that Golden Sun slows down in battles. These are tell-tale signs of a recompiler being flushed, but word is that Doom 1 runs OK. It's possible that they have a recompiler that can cope with these levels of self modifying code without too much overhead (my gpSP builds are almost at that point) but I doubt an emulator on a Chinese PMP that overall doesn't have amazing speed in all games and needs fixed frameskip would have a recompiler infrastructure this advanced. Plus there's no reason why it should only work for Doom 1 and not the others. My bets right now are on interpretive core, and that this games have a higher number of ARM instructions executing per frame than typical (makes sense for anything 3D), which wouldn't scale well with an interpreter.

If you are still in the market for a JXD 301, I have one in very good condition with the box and all its oirginal junk that I was thinking about putting up on eBay, but I would trade you straight across for that DSL as long as its in good shape as well. I slapped a PSP screen protector on the thing right out of the box though, so its nice and clean.

But, I feel like I have to tell you that the GBA emulation isnt really all that on the thing from what I have sampled of it. I mainly use mine as a multimedia player and just sort of fiddle with the emulation side of things when I am board...

The SNES runs pretty well though. Thats pretty much the one emu on the system that I keep playing around with.

Either way, if you want an opinion on any given aspect of the system I'll try and give you as straight forward an answer on it as I can.

Unfortunately, the DSL is spoken for. Anything else you would want? An Amiga 2000? :p A few questions: How good is the multimedia playback, particularly on videos? What kind of re-encoding (if any) is necessary? I have a SIM card RAZR, an overclocked gbc... I also have a custom black and white DS Phat if you would want that. In fact... There would be a definite possibility of me including a DS flashcart with the DS if needed. ;) One more question: How well does it run the SNES game Chrono Trigger? And don't worry, I was pretty well aware of its shortcomings GBA wise, that is what a GBA is for. :lol: Let me know if you are interested in any of my stuff, or interested in cash. How much would you want in cash for it? Look forward to hearing from you.

Sorry it took a bit to respond. I have been somewhat slammed at work and probably will be for the next few days.

As far as the multimedia playback goes, the only thing I have done with it on that end has been slapping some youtube videos on it in that .flv format they come in. I sort of hate converting media myself, so I tend to leech off my friends. So for just the ease of the youtube end, it actually come in pretty handy.

I was sort of hoping you would still have the Lite because my wife wants one. I think she may just snake mine if I tried to give her the older model, :p but either way I was sort of hoping to get around $100 bucks on eBay for it. But if that older Phat DS is in good shape, maybe you would trade that with some cash or something? I have three flash carts, but if you had a Cyclo DS, I would be interested in that end…

Either way, I’ll try and give Chrono a test run tonight or tomorrow and get back to you, any other games you want me to give a quick test run feel free to list them and I’ll give them a try if I have them available to me.

I actually do have a DS Lite. However, it is a custom black and clear cased one with interior UV lighting, so I do not really want to trade it when I could get a good price for it on ebay. I would be interested in trading it if you threw in some cash on your end, or a gba flashcart. The DS Phat is MINT condition, brand new screen lenses, freshly painted perfect no scratch case, black and white, I can take pics if you want. I am proud of my work, I am the same guy who made this: http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/02/04/ds-phat...age-to-the-n64/

I might be willing to throw in some cash with the DS Phat, how much were you thinking? The few times a JxD 301 has popped up on ebay in the past few months, they have gone for about $90 shipped

Also, is yours the 2 gb model? Does it come with a 2gb sd card? Or is it the 4gb model? Hope to hear back from you! :D

Well, I did manage to find a little time to play Chrono this morning, and it seems to run pretty well from what I can see. The frame rate is okay, but the music seems to lag a bit in places. I only managed to get far enough to run around the carnival in the beginning and do a test fight with that robot in the square. I’ll try to sink a little more time tonight if I get a chance.
The model I have is the 2GB internal memory, and I have a SanDisk 2GB card that I’ll throw in.
As far as the cash was concerned, I was sort of thinking $30 bucks or so along with the older DS. I figured that would make it square on my end. But I would be willing to throw down $30 or so myself for the custom Lite you have. I do have an EZ IV that I use with my Micro that I would also be willing to part with if you prefer that to cash. The compatibility isn’t perfect, but from what I understand very few of the GBA flash carts are and it’s a solid middle of the road cart. The only games that it didn’t run that I tried so far have been the first Golden Sun, Ninja Five-O, and Double Dragon Advance. It also seems to have an 80 file limit. I have a 1GB Mini SD for that.

But if you have a chance to throw up picture of either system, I would be happy to take a look.

Oh, and the firmware version I have reading on the JXD is 9.2.11 if that of any use or importance to you.

Bummer about the music, Chrono has some of the best music in an snes game. Better than the emulation of it on ds for sure, though. :p

Good about it being the 2 gig, I have heard that they switched to a less reliable memory source for the 4gb. And actually, the EZIV was exactly the card I was considering buying! Would you be including the 1gb minisd with it? If not, how much would you want for it?

Also, if you want the DS Lite because of the brighter screen, I actually have a halfway done mod that boosts the DS phat screen brightness to near the same as a ds lite on level 3, but with much better color saturation. If it works, I could do it on the DS phat I am selling you (Making it a bit more valuable ;) ). I can have pics of the modded systems in a day or two.

***OLD READ EDIT***Assuming that the brightness mod fails... How interested would you be in Custom DS phat, an EZ 3 in 1 expansion pack modded into a gba cart so it works in the original DS, and $35 for your jxd and associated accessories, the EZIV, and an extra $5 for that minisd if you are selling it? Just throwing the offer out there, tell me what you think. ***OLD READ EDIT***

About the firmware... Have you tried some of the alternative firmwares available, such as using the Ainol v2000 or the Gemei x670? Probably a bit much for you, but if you are up to it, I would be interested in the results. ;)

Anyway, I am open to bargaining, so what do you think of my offer? Hope to hear from you soon. :rolleyes:

EDIT: OMG OMG OMG! I have not seen one on ebay for like 4 months, and finally, there is one! But.....The auction already ended! :( http://cgi.ebay.com/JXD-301-PMP-PERSONAL-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

Only $48 with $8 shipping! :( :( :(

Umm.....So, this is a bit awkward.... But considering that there is no other price reference in the past 4 or 5 months.... Would this be a better indicator of value than the price of $90 that was the value 4 months ago? I don't think you would want to sell it for that little, but you would have to admit that it is a good bit lower than what you (and I) thought it was worth. So, my previous offer seems a bit generous, do you have one that you think would be more balanced? How about I try to price the stuff :

JXD 301: $60 (Which is tacking a fair bit on just to make it more balanced)
2gb Sandisk card: $10
EZIV: $32.46 (This is new, I have no idea how much they are used)
1gb minisd card: $6
Because I am buying on a forum and want to seem nice: $10

All that adds up to about $120 rounding up, and that is assuming brand new prices for most of the stuff, excluding the JXD, which cannot be bought new anymore. So... What do you think of DS phat, ez 3 in 1 expansion, and $15 (To cover your shipping costs, plus a little extra)? If this seems unreasonable, please let me know, I am very flexible.

EDIT AGAIN: Look what I found: http://www.digitmal.com/list.asp?ProdId=0075
It appears to be the successor to the JXD 301, it has the same feature but with less storage, a camera, video camera, tv out, tv in with recording (Like Tivo!). Very low price....However, I would rather deal with someone in real life as apposed to some faceless company in China. Keep our money in our own economy! ;)

Sorry this reply took a it too long as well. If the value of the unit is going to be placed in that range, I would honestly just as soon hold onto it myself as I do like the EZ IV quite a bit as well and would probably just end up ordering another one right off the bat as well.

I noticed that the replacement model of the 301 just lists the generic “games” as a feature as opposed to a specific set of emulators and the .flv isn’t noted as a feature either? If you do happen to purchase that one and think to post any impressions I wouldn’t mind reading them. Seems like its a little sketchy though with other alternatives cropping up that do list the emus.

Either way, a few weeks ago I noticed that DX had some EZ IV carts in stock for a pretty good price.

I understand. I am probably getting an EZIV from DX soon, hope it works well. The JXD 652, I have done some more research on. The reason it lists generic games is because the people selling it likely do not have very much info on it, but rest assured, it does run the same stuff as the JXD. There is a lot of speculation on the chip inside, but they all seem to have been sanded of markings, and the firmware is in a different format then the JXD. It is probably a lower powered sunplus chip, from what people have speculated.I may order one to test, even if it sucks as a game player, the other features are pretty neat!

I totally understand wanting to keep it for yourself at that price, personally, I would place the real value a lot higher. Luckily, I may have found someone with a superior alternative that I can trade for or buy, so no worries. If it does not work out, though, I would probably be willing to spend about $100 shipped on just your JXD 301, maybe a little bit more. I will post if my other offer does not work out!

Also, you may have missed it.... But have you tried some of the alternative firmware on it, such as the gemei x670 or Ainol v2000 firmware? I would be very interested in the results, I hear they are better then the original firmware.

I was thinking about trying some of the alternative firmwares like you mentioned, I just have to manage to set aside some time where I wont get sidetracked…

That could take some time :p , but if I manage it I’ll try and remember to post back with the results. Either way, its good to hear that the emulators did make it to the newer models, it would have been a shame had they been dropped in favor of a camera.

Of course, if the other deal falls through or you happen to come into another DSL in good shape that you don’t need, the offer is open as long as I have the thing. 100$ would cover shipping on my end, so that would be doable as well. Good luck with whatever system you happen to decide on though.

Back