WPA2

kattle87

WPA

I was wondering if wifi will fully support WPA-Enterprise (and what about WPA 2?) security. It is quite vital for me but I found no infos at all, and I would like to preorder it before Sunday! :D

And maybe packet injection later on :p woul be NICE :D (but not needed for me, just for fun)

Re: WPA

The pandora-wiki and wikipedia both say 802.11g Wi-fi but none of them disclose what chipset will be used. Is this an open question?

I do not need Packed Injection but I want to use AP-Mode. This way it's much more easy to share data while traveling around...

(Open Source driver availability is a matter of course...)

I think it will require some non-disclosed proprietary driver. However, open source wireless drivers are considered legal (as long as they are clean, nothing from NDA code). So one might feel free to develop their own open source driver if necessary.

Isn't WPA/WPA2 Decoded by the driver/in software?

I remember when XP you had to download a patch for it to support WPA2, and all the old chips supported it. So, does it really matter what the chipset is? Or am I just talking out of my rear end?

Does anybody know which wifi chip(set) the pandora will have?

As it's linux, can't you just use wpasupplicant regardless of what the driver is?

The wifi chip is under NDA. Only when it's released to the public will we know.

WPA/WPA2 will be supported easily with wpa_supplicant.

Monitor mode, packet injection, and other hacking activities will not be supported by the driver, and probably neither by the community either.

Sony PSP does support WPA but only PSK (Pre-Shared Key) and this is the reason why I asked. That's all! If I can't get WPA Enterprise working I'm almost without wifi for more than half a day. Someone should just tell me "of course it will work!" So I will be happy.

BTW: Sounds strange to me they can't tell even the NAME of the chip :confused: :confused:

Will WPA2 be supported?
This is partly a hardware question and partly software, if hardware not supported.

First of all i don't think wpa2 has anything to do with hardware, second I've heard that it can be supported. If my wireless/B psp can support WPA2 then, the better wireless/G can support WPA2 as well.

I believe the Pandora will be running wpa_supplicant, and that wireless encryption is implemented on a software level (unless the hardware says it can optionally handle it in hardware to take a bit of weight off the CPU).

The right chipset can help a lot. Some wireless drivers are terrible in linux, but I imagine they selected a chipset that works well, myself I'd love an Atheros set. Packet injection support would be phenomenal for security purposes, although likely not a concern of many. Also depends on how they have the kernel compiled. If they're using the mac80211 stack then we're definitely in business, if it's the ieee80211 stack it could be more problematic in my experience, although the ieee variant is supposed to become deprecated soon, if not already.

giddion said:
Well for the wpa_supplicant stuff there is currently a limited amount of supported chipsets hardware, so I do not think that saying it is hardware dependent is unreasonable. But probably should have posted in the software section asking if if WPA2 will be supported on the current hardware implementation!

In any case....
http://open1x.sourceforge.net/
http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/

If you take a close look at wpa_supplicant, one of the supported drivers is a general "driver" that wraps any driver that supports the new mac80211 networking stack found in the newer 2.6 kernels. In layman's terms - as long as the driver for the WiFi chip is relatively recent, we should have WPA2 working quite easily.

With the help of wpa_supplicant all wpa flavors should be supported, even if the hardware does not support wpa at all.

javaJake said:
Monitor mode, packet injection, and other hacking activities will not be supported by the driver, and probably neither by the community either.
Does "other hacking activities" include Access Point-Mode? I think NO, theres nothing illegal in it. So will it be possible or not?

There is good and bad news with the wifi/BT chip. The bad news is that the driver is not open, and never will be. In fact, even the make and model are under NDA until the Pandora ships. There were very few options for wifi modules that fit the specs we needed, and none of the others were any better.

The good news is that the manufacturer is willing to (likely already has) provide the driver source to the devs in exchange for keeping it confidential. So that while we don't have access to it, Craig and Michael do. WPA encryption may well be possible with existing software (they may not be allowed to say yes or no until it ships), but even if it isn't, they have the capability to make it happen.

kattle87 said:
Sony PSP does support WPA but only PSK (Pre-Shared Key) and this is the reason why I asked. That's all! If I can't get WPA Enterprise working I'm almost without wifi for more than half a day. Someone should just tell me "of course it will work!" So I will be happy.

BTW: Sounds strange to me they can't tell even the NAME of the chip :confused: :confused:
Of course it will work! Don't worry, be happy.

(actually people, I have no idea, I was just trying to spread a little sunshine.)

Back