Would you still continue to eat meat (please refer to opening post for more details)?

Would you still continue to eat meat (please refer to opening post for more details)?

• Total voters

Wow, apparently PETA is pretty corrupt, they only take in animals they can kill and dump them behind restaurants to give them a bad name:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MblfdR459Rk

They do seem like a very fascist organization so it really doesn't surprise me that much but still. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
They do seem like a very fascist organization so it really doesn't surprise me that much but still. . .

It shouldn't suprise anyone. PETA are not "real" animal lovers; they're trolls. Much like the Westboro Baptist Church are not real Christians.

Anyone who could kill a living, breathing animal to use its body to attack someone who kills animals for food has, I think, got a screw loose. Just as anyone who says God hates anybody is kind of missing the point of the whole "God is love" thing.

The even more sickening thing is that these organisations both have tax-exempt status. Hey, can I start a charity, too? The AquaAnalogue Fight For Life Foundation, tax-exempt under 501(c )(3). Donate and get tax credits, today!

I live in CA and lot of animal activists call my state home. On our public television stations there are locally produced programs about the food you eat all the time. I don't think I would be out of line when I say that we care a lot about our food (I do not include LA in that statement. I think the people in SO Cal are crazy.). I also live on a ranch where I have raised my own sheep, chickens, and veggies for consumption.

The growing of food is something that if you did it yourself, would be wholly different. For example, I don't think that anyone would ever put their vegetable patch downstream from their animals so that the runoff would be full of excrement(standard practice in some food growing areas). I would also venture a guess that, although everyone seems to be trolling the OP about animal abuse, they would not do this to their own livestock. Not only would they make their food taste bad, but their neighbors would think very ill of them. Happy animals taste fantastic, some of my favorite meat comes from wild animals that were happy when they were killed. Just like a well cared for plant tastes better, so to does an animal. Could you imagine consuming a plant that was sick, blemished, or fucked up in the way that they treat some animals? There is no way that you would buy that nasty ass, dirty plant.

I love eating meat, but I despise the way that we have made our systems of producing meat. The manner in which we make the products we eat is so sub-par in some instances they have killed people(A huge number of those 5k people did not have to die). The way that meat is processed in these facilities is absolutely filthy. I found it absolutely fascinating that 50 years ago the standards for these plants and people who processed our food were better than they are now. By in large the people who work in these plants in the US are illegal immigrants. The unions which used to keep wages high and standards up have all but totally disbanded.

I don't know about the conditions where other people live, but in my county there are local growers that have volunteered to have the local humane association monitor them. Milk, eggs, and beef are all grown locally and under the best conditions. All of this good stuff comes at a price though; eggs are a dollar more than the others which come from the Midwest, and beef is 2 dollars a pound more. I feel the difference in quality is totally worth it, but some people don't.

The main thing I don't understand about the veg movement is that they have no leverage. That's right, you have no pull. I have pull, I pay good money to these growers to have them produce top quality food for me. You on the other hand are still feeding the EXACT SAME industry. I hate uninformed people who think they are helping and are really just self righteous, FUCK YOU PEOPLE! Have a look at the massive number of products that come from cows for example. The exact same conglomerate which perpetrates these food abuses against animals OWNS YOUR VEGGIES. I can't talk to most of the idiots who go on an animal rights tear, but since you seem open to reason I urge you to buy from people who DO care about your food. Feeding the same companies that you always do, and whining like a little bitch about it, DOES NOTHING. Don't weep to me about how the cows and pigs are crying unless you take a real stand against what you think is wrong. :angry:

The food industry is never going away, everyone needs to eat. People will ALWAYS eat meat, killing animals is a part of life, get over it. The only way to change the food industry is to urge others to buy food mindfully. Have you ever hear the phrase, 'Money talks'?... Yeah, it does.

Caution, meme ahead.

s4R1W.jpg

Edit: Sorry for the rant. I really like my food, and as stated above I hate it when people get in my face because I am not helping animals. I love animals, they are the bomb.

Hey, can I start a charity, too? The AquaAnalogue Fight For Life Foundation, tax-exempt under 501(c )(3). Donate and get tax credits, today!

You can start a non-profit for any reason as far as I know. It just means that you don't get to keep the profits of your enterprise. For example: If you wanted to get paid to make provocative grafitti you could make a non-profit to help people do that. As long as the donations, monetary or otherwise, don't go into your pocket (although you are allowed to give yourself a salary within reason.) and just go back to the organization then you are considered a non-profit.

I say we start a non-profit video gaming league under the guise that we are helping children in bad neighborhoods. We will pay ourselves to be 'teachers' and we will get donations to make gaming facilities and 'review' games for the sake of keeping children away form the bad ones. You get 50k a year because of your experience. B)

Edit: Even better, we will put the facilities on a ship and be 'gaming missionaries' and bring video games to the poor masses who don't have the ability to play them due to their income. Come with us, see the world and play video games while you do!

Hey, can I start a charity, too? The AquaAnalogue Fight For Life Foundation, tax-exempt under 501(c )(3). Donate and get tax credits, today!

You can start a non-profit for any reason as far as I know. It just means that you don't get to keep the profits of your enterprise. For example: If you wanted to get paid to make provocative grafitti you could make a non-profit to help people do that. As long as the donations, monetary or otherwise, don't go into your pocket (although you are allowed to give yourself a salary within reason.) and just go back to the organization then you are considered a non-profit.

I say we start a non-profit video gaming league under the guise that we are helping children in bad neighborhoods. We will pay ourselves to be 'teachers' and we will get donations to make gaming facilities and 'review' games for the sake of keeping children away form the bad ones. You get 50k a year because of your experience. B)

Edit: Even better, we will put the facilities on a ship and be 'gaming missionaries' and bring video games to the poor masses who don't have the ability to play them due to their income. Come with us, see the world and play video games while you do!
Hmm, I have no idea what the exact percentage is and I'm sure someone on here knows but something like 85% can go to overhead, i.e. salary, fuel, cars, houses, ect, and still be called a non-profit.

I haven't read this whole thread or watched the video, but I'm slowly eating less meat due to the fact that I'm into my thirties and just not able to digest as I used to. Will also be weaning myself off too much fish and will probably end up on a diet of lentils and beans!

Would you still continue to eat meat (that is if you're not a vegetarian or vegan like many of us aren't) if you knew the truth about the Animal cruelty that goes on in many of the slaughter houses around the globe?

You see, 'my mate', who is a huuuuuuuuge Animal lover and Animal activist is highly considering becoming a vegetarian or vegan now...this happened after watching an extremely graphic and disturbing *video that showed some of the Animal cruelty that had occurred in many of the slaughter houses around the globe (past/present scenes).

* This particular video is highly explicit and cannot be linked or embedded anywhere in this thread, so please send me a pm if you'd like to view the exact vid in question.

Stop-Animal-Cruelty-animal-rights-5325341-400-298.jpg

Oh, you mean this one?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Tszu9twyEEo?feature=oembed

Everyone should have seen this.

In order to act right, you have to face the facts first.

I eat meat - I couldn't go out and kill a cow myself but I like being a omnivore.

I'll tell you when I was in Chile visiting my wife, we got some crabs at the local fishing village... I thought oh yeah I have had crab meat before that will be nice...

The smell in the car was the first thing.

Then I saw Mariela's mum picking up a crab trying to escape from the boiling pot...

Later it was time to eat and the dead but whole crabs were on a large plate with a small hammer on the table...

Finally I saw Mariela bash open a crab and start eating, then her mum, then her dad... then her brother...

I then got passed the hammer and I just asked to be excused.

I felt sick sick sick - but only because I saw the crabs alive and only because the meat hadn't been pre-prepared.

I haven't watched the video and I don't suppose it would do me any good doing so - I'm very squeamish but... I'm also a fussy eater and don't want to be crossing something else off the list of stuff I enjoy eating.

I'm also a fussy eater and don't want to be crossing something else off the list of stuff I enjoy eating.
Then you definitely should watch it completely.

Lots of the bullshit arguments in this thread could partially have been from me some years ago

and there are several main reasons why I did not started becoming a vegan or at least a vegetarian way much earlier.

1. Eating habits established by my family (most of us did not like meat in the first stages of our childhood but do not remember this time anymore, we have been trained to like it)

2. Further social problems (I always had enough of these)

3. No clues about nutritions, believing bullshit facts rumours spread by the western meat and fishing lobby

4. Extremely annoying vegans. Every single one of them I knew at this time was an asshole.

If I compare these reasons to the unbelievable physical and psychological pain of A SINGLE ONE of these plainly "used" animals,

I am quite ashamed of myself afterwards, but at least this way I still can understand many people that still do their part for all this horrible stuff happening.

It was a becoming for me, because I did not do this from one day to the other but it was a natural development over some years

which I did not really notice most of the time. This development started somewhere around 2010 I think.

First less consume of meat, then pescetarianism (that is eating fish but not other animals, some guys here thought this already would be vegetarian but it is not),

then no milk products anymore, then no egg products and finally no more fish and I never felt more great and never had a better appearance, especcially regarding weight and skin.

I am a martial artist and my job is a craft, so do not think I am weak. ;)

My cooking has become way better and I am eating much more different things than before.

Other people love what I cook, even the ones you can hardly define as omnivores but more as carnivores.

I bet most of you guys do not know, that MOST of the brilliant people in human history were vegetarians or at least had a clear enough opinion about animal feelings and rights?

You do not read these sentences anywhere in school, but they are documented.

Just a few names:

http://vebu.de/tiere-a-ethik/zitate?gclid=CMShs4a4mrgCFSXMtAodmloAAg&start=1

You can find Albert Einstein, Aristoteles, Leonardo da Vinci, Pythagoras, Thomas Edison, Abraham Lincoln, Paul McCartney, Ovid, Leo Tolstoi, etc...............

PS: Regarding Point 1:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/SrU03da2arE?feature=oembed

I felt sick sick sick - but only because I saw the crabs alive and only because the meat hadn't been pre-prepared.
There's a lot of culture going on. Some people don't like to know where their food comes from, at all. Meat or vegetable, some people just can't handle that their food came from somewhere. Definitely a lot more pronounced with meat obviously but I know a guy who just outright refuses to eat any of the veggies out of my garden because he "doesn't want anything he knows has been covered in dirt".And then you've got people who grew up on a farm and simply have no problems. Before my grandparents retired, it was common practice to go and pick a cow. Christmas would come and (some of) that cow would be our Christmas present: several hundred pounds of ground beef and steak. "You look delicious. I'mma name you 'Burger' because that's what you'll be in a few months" :p

Similar with chickens. When I was younger we'd go for a visit, I'd help feed the chickens, and then we'd have one for dinner. Knowing where my food comes from doesn't really bother me.

I only shop the farmers market for meat now. There was a year or so after my grandparents retired that I had to go with store packed stuff, and who knows where the heck that came from. Then I moved cities and was closer to farm country. It's a lot more satisfying knowing that I can go and see the animals I'll be eating. Yes, I can definitely taste a difference: family farm cows with room to roam have consistently denser, more flavourful meat. Plus it often costs less buying direct from a farmer/butcher than through a grocery store.

On the subject of videos, a friend keeps trying to gross me out with videos like this. "See this? This is how chicken nuggets are made!" "Oh, cool. Wanna go get a 20 pack? I've got a sudden craving for chicken nuggets". This video in particular I got about 2 minutes in and couldn't take any more, not because the message was disturbing but because the video was obviously trying to setup some sort of shock treatment. I'm not 8, I'm a fully cognizant adult, I can handle facts no matter how disturbing you may think they'll be, but if you need to take 30 seconds of build up before you even tell me what it is your going to be talking about then I'm going to wonder why you're wasting my time.

Speaking of dead things, isn't 27 months a bit past the standard necroposting rules? :p

Speaking of dead things, isn't 27 months a bit past the standard necroposting rules? :p
So you want another topic instead?

No matter what I do, someone is always complaining. ;)

My family had a farm too, that does not change anything about the fact, that humans there create and maintain a relationship of a god and a ...thing between them and the animal there.

The human has it caged from beginning to end and therefore can decide when, why and how the animal will die and it can do absolutely nothing about it.

No hunt, no effort, nothing else involved than the easy way. No respect there at all.

Reminds me of this great dialogue in "Arjuna", just to show something entirely different than the usual vids

and it is not mainly about animals, just about the "easy" way of thinking that we all have grown up with:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sozp0GOH3WY?feature=oembed

PS: Your friend should know, that there are some vitamins in the dirt, that are in fact quite good for him,

like Vitamin B12. Plants do not need it, therefore it is only found (in a noticable amount) in animal products, synthetically manufactured and in the dirt covering the stuff from the field.

Too bad that the dirt now also contains pesticides if you do not have garden to grow stuff yourself.

MOST of the brilliant people in human history were vegetarians or at least had a clear enough opinion about animal feelings and rights?
Whoa!

***  Correlation Causation  ***
 ​
and

Cherry-picked anecdotes are not statistically valid.

I apologise for the huge font there, and appreciate that I'm probably preaching to the converted :rolleyes:

I have no problems with vegetarians nor vegans as long as they don't try to proselytise on me. And I won't try to proselytise them :p

They love eating vegetables and don't want to eat meat, that's fine with me!

I love eating meat, no other food give me as much pleasure eating. And yeah, I know how meat is produced (a cousin of my girlfriend is butcher, a friend worked in a slaughterhouse - yeah, he is still eating meat too xD -, …).

I expect vegetarians to respect my choice, as I respect theirs, and don't try to convince me to stop eating what I knowingly choose to eat.

That's why, if I go to restaurant with a vegetarian I ask him if it's a problem if I eat meat in front of her/him. If she/he starts trying to make me feel bad for eating meat, I'll just stop him and ask her/him if she/he really want to eat with me…

Us human are superior than those tree-hugging monkeys and grass-chewing horses is because we eat cooked food and are working hard for quality food.

I don't see how giving up eating meat and turning to nuts and fruit and having diets like chimps is a step forward.

From a rational standpoint:

Cattles and chickens surely have been abused awfully in the past, but that's  a fair trade. Wild versions of domestic animals are a lot happier but they also are in smaller numbers. We have shielded their ancestors from tigers and wolves and they have been great success from the survival of their species, their number is great and their continuity is assured. To have a look at all the extincted creatures, it's clear that they deserved it as they can't fit into this world that is dominated by us. Those poor critters cry theirselves to sleep wanting to live like livestokes. We also need to have a look at the big picture, we eat meat because domastic animals are basically walking protein convertors, we can't digest grass, so we need them to do this bit for us and devour their flesh. If we stop keeping them at somepoint, then we need to ruin more grassland and forests and waste more food by products to get the same amount of nutrition from economic crops. Or we can start lining up and cap the person in front until our food problem solves itself, but then the vegies need to stand in the front of the line.

Eating meat is already part of us the same as driving cars and complaining about peer pressure:

May be one day we can go above that and live only on yeast and man-made protein but certainly not now. We need to eat that meat to stay fit and competitive in this world. To see how our food culture is centered on eating meat and cheese, and eating a lot of them means happiness and prosperity, it's likely that our ancestors are meat-lovers and they totally burnt the vegie proto-human branch's culture to the ground, and changed them to be just like us.

I do agree that people especially American and Australian should eat a bit less cheese, meat and stop drinking cola and beer, but that's for their health and shape rather than showing our mercy to those pettiful underbeings.

Us human are superior than those tree-hugging monkeys and grass-chewing horses is because we eat cooked food and are working hard for quality food.

I don't see how giving up eating meat and turning to nuts and fruit and having diets like chimps is a step forward.

From a rational standpoint:

Cattles and chickens surely have been abused awfully in the past, but that's  a fair trade. Wild versions of domestic animals are a lot happier but they also are in smaller numbers. We have shielded their ancestors from tigers and wolves and they have been great success from the survival of their species, their number is great and their continuity is assured. To have a look at all the extincted creatures, it's clear that they deserved it as they can't fit into this world that is dominated by us. Those poor critters cry theirselves to sleep wanting to live like livestokes. We also need to have a look at the big picture, we eat meat because domastic animals are basically walking protein convertors, we can't digest grass, so we need them to do this bit for us and devour their flesh. If we stop keeping them at somepoint, then we need to ruin more grassland and forests and waste more food by products to get the same amount of nutrition from economic crops. Or we can start lining up and cap the person in front until our food problem solves itself, but then the vegies need to stand in the front of the line.

Eating meat is already part of us the same as driving cars and complaining about peer pressure:

May be one day we can go above that and live only on yeast and man-made protein but certainly not now. We need to eat that meat to stay fit and competitive in this world. To see how our food culture is centered on eating meat and cheese, and eating a lot of them means happiness and prosperity, it's likely that our ancestors are meat-lovers and they totally burnt the vegie proto-human branch's culture to the ground, and changed them to be just like us.

I do agree that people especially American and Australian should eat a bit less cheese, meat and stop drinking cola and beer, but that's for their health and shape rather than showing our mercy to those pettiful underbeings.
I really do not know where to start with all this bullshit, but I try.

1. Do you REALLY think, that the animals you eat ate grass?

2. Can you imagine how much stuff is needed to let an animal grow a single pound of flesh?

I am always surprised, that people do not realize, that the enormous animal "production" *sic* is one of the reasons for hunger

and even more if they think, that it is the other way around.

3. Working hard for quality food?

So you think killing a caged animal is harder than hunting it the natural way?

Bending reality to justify a lifestyle that is creating so much pain: The art of self suggestion

Regarding your fantasy about eating "helpless" vegans/vegetarians:

Most of them would love to fertilize their plants with the bodys of flesheaters, be sure of that.

You are not superior, no matter how much arrogance and ignorance you can gather.

Some (but certainly not most)  farm animals do eat grass. They probably also have a more stable food supply that they would in the wild

Not all livestock is caged. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_range

The amount of total effort that goes into a running a farm for the lifespan of a typical farmyard animal is probably quite high. Think of fuel, building maintenance, the living expenses of the farm workers, transporting food/medication for the livestock, etc

Some (but certainly not most)  farm animals do eat grass. They probably also have a more stable food supply that they would in the wild

Not all livestock is caged. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_range

The amount of total effort that goes into a running a farm for the lifespan of a typical farmyard animal is probably quite high. Think of fuel, building maintenance, the living expenses of the farm workers, transporting food/medication for the livestock, etc
Whether more animals are held in those factory farms or in free range is something that is mentioned differently everywhere,

but if I look at how many animals are held in these awful containers per m³, I would not think, that most are held in free range.

Although lots of hectare forest are flattened because of the possibility to feed more cows in free range, in Argentina f.e.

We need our natural air conditioners and you know how the forests shrink because of stuff like that (and yes, this includes soy fields).

Someday...

humanely.jpg

Back