Would Like To Dev For The 2x Scene....

norm

aka kapakux89
Website
kapakux89.com
i have no experience with coding but i would love to learn and do my part for the scene

can anyone advise me on where to start?

cheers

have a look into the wiki. it describes quite well how to start. learn some c++ and start with sdl. There is a few very good sdl and c++ tuts out there. I can only recommend the jnr tutorial which will teach you how to code a basic platformer.

Try taking a look at FENIX. Ruckage just coded Protozoa, a very fun and addicting game, that he coded in FENIX. It is a fairly easy language to learn and code in. The only caveat is that the documentation is sparse. Fenixonfire is a great help though with documented code and snippets. Moogle, Quiest, and Racemaniac have added a lot to it.

Reap

Definately take a look at fenix, despite the sparse documentation i'm sure it's still a lott easier to use and get results from than using c++ and sdl. It's often critisized for being slow but If you've played Myriad by WarmfluffyUK and Protozoa by myself you'll see it's perfectly capable of doing fast paced arcade games.
As reaper79 said check out fenixonfire there are lots of source codes and snippets, as well as a couple of PDFs describing functions and data of the language - you'll be surprissed how much you can learn just by disecting other peoples code.
Finally if you check the archive there is a ready to install fenix devkit in the archive to get you started - download it here.

If you need any help just post in the fenix section of the forum or if you're really stuck you're welcome to pm me and I can try and help you out.

iv sarted reading ED's tut on the fenixonfire site and it say that you need the fenix executable and runtime for the gp32 is this already included in the gp2x dev kit???

EDIT: and do i need to install GDI+

Everything you need is in the devkit (It's what I use) For playing on the gp2x you need the gp2x runtime which is included in the kit but there is a newer version than the one included - beta 4 is the latest official release, if you already have some fenix games for GP2X the runtime is usually included with them. I did read something about the GDI+ but I think it depends on the computer as you may already have it - if you don't it will let you know anyway.

thanx for the help - im well excited about actually makin a contribution to the comunity

just to let u no there will probs be more questions im bound to get stuck sumwhere

cheers again

I want to start programming for my GP2X as well. I found this thread and downloaded Fenix. I like the example code I saw. Real clear, kind of like Visual Basic style. It won't be really hard to learn.

I downloaded the DevKit from gp2x.de, but when I run an example I get the following error:

fenix_error.jpg

What's up with that?

PS: you gotta love half translated software ;)

I just wanted to inform you guys that this error is probably caused by Windows Vista. I just unzipped the Dev kit here on my own XP machine and everything runs fine.

Just so other also benefit from this information (and yet another reason not to upgrade) :)

Back