Wookiee The Chew

Prometheus

I found this a little while ago, but completely forgot to post about it until now...

Has anyone else seen Wookiee The Chew?

It's a series of parodical images that cross the Star Wars universe with that of Winnie the Pooh, featuring Chewbacca as "Wookiee The Chew", and Christopher Robin as "Chrisolo Robin".

A book has also been produced, titled, as you might expect, The House At Chew Corner.

Even if you don't pick up the book or any of the prints, do be sure to check out the artwork - it's nothing short of adorable.

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy should really be careful. An homage is not automatically a parody. Parody is very well defined in copyright law, it has to actually be saying something about the original work to be parody: exaggeration, subtle changes that might point out flaws in the original work, etc... This looks like it is Winnie the Pooh, right down to the drawn style, but with Star Wars characters instead, which is most definitely cute and awesome, but it doesn't actually make any sort of statement about either work; that makes them derivative, but not parody, which puts it square in copyright's sights. I'm pretty sure he's in the clear with reusing Star Wars characters (because as much as Disney would like to tell you, you can't copyright a character), but the situations I'm seeing in his drawings are most definitely very similar to those from the Disney movies and shorts. By releasing a book and actually making money off his idea, he is playing a very dangerous game of chicken with Disney, I think.

The site still exists so I guess it is OK. ^^" Otherwise he alreaady would have be put offline within 5 seconds.
Copyright isn't trademark. They don't have to enforce it. They can leave infringement alone, and then bust out a lawsuit whenever they want. They may not have been aware, or didn't really care about such small beans before, but now if he's producing a book he is actually making money. Disney can't let other people make money, it's in their business plan line one: Make all the monies!

(because as much as Disney would like to tell you, you can't copyright a character)
I must admit, I actually never knew that!

but the situations I'm seeing in his drawings are most definitely very similar to those from the Disney movies and shorts. By releasing a book and actually making money off his idea, he is playing a very dangerous game of chicken with Disney, I think.
They're based on the original books and illustrations (The House at Pooh Corner, complete with illustrations, was a freebie for the Kindle for a while - if it still is, it's worth grabbing :p ), but this point's a bit moot really because I would imagine that it's Disney's legal muscle that would deal with things like this, since they seem to be responsible for all Pooh merchandise these days (including the "Classic Pooh" stuff, which has the style of E.H. Shepard's illustrations).

Last edited by a moderator:
Really cute stuff; I think I need to order this book (while one still can ;)

Lucas always seemed pretty good about not being a dick (sueing everyone), but Disney.. the big D, yeah, dont' cross lightsabers with this fellows :)

jeff

Back