Wolfenstein: Et Source Released

I'll try to explain this. :p

Basically, if the source code is available, it's more ideal to use that code to make what's referred to as a "native" version. This is because with emulation, you've got the overheads of reimplementing hardware and other things in software, as well as running the game that you want to run. With a native port of the game, you don't have those overheads, and other things specific to what you're running it on (in this case, the Pandora) can be added or tweaked if need be.

EDIT: I wrote this before seeing your edit, but it still applies either way. :p

linc186 said:
or is it not a dos game? i'm only aware of wolf3d and wolf3d sod, I've never heard of ET, so if its not a dos game...then well...problem solved.
Those two games are using the Quake 3 engine => no DOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
linc186 said:
Yeah, and again, I'm very new, so please excuse if this is stupid. Why do we need ports of Dos games if we have dosbox?
edit: or is it not a dos game? i'm only aware of wolf3d and wolf3d sod, I've never heard of ET, so if its not a dos game...then well...problem solved.
Jesus, you could just read, and see how we mentioned it runs on the Quake 3 engine, and we mentioning the eyecandy it has or even it may not run. Obviously the dos port is not.
Besides, we already have an sdl port of the old one.

We are talking about "Return To Castle of Wolfenstein" or RTCW. Sorry for being rude, but you could have searched a little on google.

Oh, and awesome Pickle. I never had the chance to even start the game back when it got released. Let's see if I can track down a friend of mine with the game and lend it to me.

Wasn't RTCW just a Quake III mod with different play style and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory just an extension to that? I was confused when I heard the news.

Anyway, id rules no matter what the young ones say about Doom III, I don't see Valve releasing code for Half Life 1. I wish the Metal of Honor series would go open source, that would make my day, I liked those games infinitely better than RTCW due to their authenticity but RTCW was cool also. Who makes MOH anyway? Maybe with the other Quake III based WWII game going open source they'll think about it also.

Thanx Pickle, I have the wad files for RTCW as I bought the game so as soon as you'er done and I get my Pandora this will be one of the first games I will play all the way through on my Pandora.

In December 2007 a community-driven free software project named OpenMoHAA has been started with the objective of turning the ioquake3 Quake III Arena engine source port into one capable of running MoHAA's media assets and gameplay. Although at an early development stage, significant success has already been claimed in the field of running the original game's levels.[citation needed]

straight from wikipedia, tho cant find much more info on it, seems like the project could be dead

Medal of Honor games were brilliant - especially the first 2 on the PSX, which hopefully will be playable through the PSX emulator. I'd love to play the later ones though - never liked the control system on the PC, but on Pandora I think I could have great fun.

OH man, this is awesome! My Pandora couldn't come sooner... I played this a long time ago but could never finish it because of some corrupted game files. If I could play this on Pandora and finally finish the game, I would be so happy. Pickle, thank you! And more thank yous are on the way when the game starts playing. ;)

yeah i couldnt get the nanogl do anything more, im surprised the menu doesnt show up at least.

anyway I think im going to have to take a the longer route and convert the opengl directly. Sooner or later this should run.

Pickle - I for one am very interested in your notes as you convert an app from OpenGL to ES .. so are you by any chance going to be putting up a bit of a developers-log on the progress, and so on? I think what you learn will be very beneficial to us all ..

may88 said:
So Pickle types make big deal. :p

Just trolling. This is great news.

But when pickle types make, F*cking Magic happens!

Just wondering if any progress has been made on this? This is probably what I am looking forward to the most when I get my Pandora game wise. I don't expect it to be running perfect but, just the idea of being able to play amazes me. The more I read about this device the more I love it, can't wait to get mine!

Cjduble said:
Just wondering if any progress has been made on this? This is probably what I am looking forward to the most when I get my Pandora game wise. I don't expect it to be running perfect but, just the idea of being able to play amazes me. The more I read about this device the more I love it, can't wait to get mine!
If you read the last post from pickle, you should understand that it will take some time.

Xenu said:
Cjduble said:
If you read the last post from pickle, you should understand that it will take some time.

Yeah sorry I read it, and I think getting my Pandora will also take some time :p probably just two months*. Hopefully as more pandoras get out there development on everything will speed up! trying to stay optimistic.

Xenu said:
Cjduble said:

Actually ive added the ioquake3 es conversion code, but there are still wacky issues. Stumped at this point.

Pickle said:
Xenu said:
Cjduble said:

Actually ive added the ioquake3 es conversion code, but there are still wacky issues. Stumped at this point.

Hey Pickle, have you had a chance to look at this again ?

D4damage said:
Hey Pickle, have you had a chance to look at this again ?
Just a friendly suggestion: it might be better next time to send a PM to the dev directly, rather than resurrecting a half-year-old thread to ask that. The dev himself can then make the decision of whether to resurrect the thread or not...

Back