Wiz Vice C64

bodhee

Still Fresh
Just Curious if anyone's given this a whirl, and most importantly does it support touchscreen keyboard input and/or key mapping?

also, any word an a uae4all conversion?

bodhee posted on May 18 2009 at 05:03 PM said:
Just Curious if anyone's given this a whirl, and most importantly does it support touchscreen keyboard input and/or key mapping?

also, any word an a uae4all conversion?
it's not working since now.

Last edited by a moderator:
might have to use vice if there is no decent speccy emulator on the wiz, and defect to the darkside of c64 gaming for my 8 bit fun ,dont think i'll ever become used to the infinite amounts of shades of brown the c 64 was able to produce (on the c64 you could use any colour as long as it was brown) sorry flashing back to the original schoolyard arguments over the best computer lol, :p

ARKANOID posted on May 31 2009 at 01:36 AM said:
vice works but it is very jumpy, even when it is over clocked.
Try setting the frameskip to 0 and choose FastSID instead of ReSID.

Regards

André

fettouhi posted on May 31 2009 at 08:24 AM said:
ARKANOID posted on May 31 2009 at 01:36 AM said:
vice works but it is very jumpy, even when it is over clocked.
Try setting the frameskip to 0 and choose FastSID instead of ReSID.

Regards

André
its ok it was just me i did not try enough games on it. i was running pole position from .crt it is very chopy even set at fs0 and FastSid and at max CPU OC witch I dont want to do all the time. Other games seem to work ok.

I have only had the WIZ for 5mins. I still have the f200

Thanks.
Mike.

is the snapshot system working? i see only 'save snapshot' in the menu, nothing for load...

why is the CPU speed limited to 703? a little bit more (increasing to 800 for example) would be really useful

anyway, very nice work, Mayhem in Monsterland works perfectly, one of the best games in the world :D

glezmen said:
is the snapshot system working? i see only 'save snapshot' in the menu, nothing for load...

why is the CPU speed limited to 703? a little bit more (increasing to 800 for example) would be really useful

anyway, very nice work, Mayhem in Monsterland works perfectly, one of the best games in the world :D
No snapshots, there are various things broken in Wiz Vice which is a real shame. Any game that requires true drive emulation will take an age to load, but the switch behaves strangely and sometimes decides for itself which mode to use - leaving games stuck on a loading screen at around 40% emulation speed.

But most games do actually work if you use the correct combination of options, and at a good speed once loaded too. Savestates would help so much so you don't have to do the inital load every time on each game. It ain't right to be waiting for a C64 game to load in realtime (or slower) in this day & age!!!

I'm quite tempted to start dumping savestates on vice for windows using an action replay cartridge image. I used to save games as Warp*25 back in the day and they would load in seconds :)

I would be seriously happy if this emulator was more complete.

frolik said:
No snapshots, there are various things broken in Wiz Vice which is a real shame. Any game that requires true drive emulation will take an age to load, but the switch behaves strangely and sometimes decides for itself which mode to use - leaving games stuck on a loading screen at around 40% emulation speed.

But most games do actually work if you use the correct combination of options, and at a good speed once loaded too. Savestates would help so much so you don't have to do the inital load every time on each game. It ain't right to be waiting for a C64 game to load in realtime (or slower) in this day & age!!!

I'm quite tempted to start dumping savestates on vice for windows using an action replay cartridge image. I used to save games as Warp*25 back in the day and they would load in seconds :)

yes, i already downloaded i tried cartridges (Final and Action Replay, I used to have an AR VII in the good old days...), but the working snapshot load would be much much more comfortable
the strange is that the snapshots seem to be created (the files are there in the snapshot directory), i will try if they work on my computer. at least the screenshots are OK :)

frolik said:

For me the Vice emulator on the Wiz does function but like Frolik posts I have exactly the same issues. So the source code really needs to be modified more for this 'recompile' to actually work on the Wiz. Especially the 1541 and true device emulation repeatedly turning on slowing down the emulation even when running single file games is somewhat cumbersome. But hey the device hasn't been out that long so I am guessing it'll be some time for the authors to correct this - if they want to.

NEWSFLASH!

Savestates actually work!!

I feel like such an idiot.. Just select "Save snapshot", and it saves a numbered sna file into the snapshots directory. Just go to "Autostart image" and select the sna file and it will load the savestate, along with the settings that you were using when saved.

Ok now I'm excited :)

frolik said:
NEWSFLASH!

Savestates actually work!!

I feel like such an idiot.. Just select "Save snapshot", and it saves a numbered sna file into the snapshots directory. Just go to "Autostart image" and select the sna file and it will load the savestate, along with the settings that you were using when saved.

Ok now I'm excited :)

OMG, I never thought Autostart image is the solution...

1000 thanks! :)

I guess we will just have to wait for Pandora for perfect C64 emulation and is really the main reason i want one, although I haven't preordered :(

Incidentally, I discovered if you use Vice for Windows (or whatever), you can save states as .vsf files and load them in Wiz Vice.

Hirolaser said:
I guess we will just have to wait for Pandora for perfect C64 emulation and is really the main reason i want one, although I haven't preordered :(

Why, is there already a C64 emulator?

Hirolaser said:

I guess vice wouldn't have major issues if you could overclock to 800MHz instead of the default maximum at 700, it means more than 10% plus

frolik said:
Incidentally, I discovered if you use Vice for Windows (or whatever), you can save states as .vsf files and load them in Wiz Vice.

Hirolaser said:

Why, is there already a C64 emulator?

Gnostic said he'll port a C64 emu, I don't know whether he has started or what, but he said that around this time last year.

glezmen said:
Hirolaser said:

I guess vice wouldn't have major issues if you could overclock to 800MHz instead of the default maximum at 700, it means more than 10% plus
Hmm we need the power of the Pandora or a Wiz running at 800 MHz to emulate an 8-bit 64K RAM computer running at 1 MHz with 16 colors at 160x200 resolution and mono sound. Yet the Wiz can run NeoGeo, MAME, CPS1 & 2, Sega Megadrive with CD support, and PC-Engine CD all fullspeed with sound at the standard 533 MHz or in many cases underclocked to 300 MHz.

Is a C64 that hard to emulate or is this emu just super unoptimised for anything other than a Pentium class CPU?

Back