Wiz: Technical Details?

BacioiuC

Still Fresh
I've been thinking for quite a while now about buying a Wiz in order to use it for homebrew developing. I'm quite a portable/handheld gadgets "addict", and I love developing app's and games for them. Recently I've been developing some app's for the nintendo ds, but I feel quite limited by the fact that it only has 4 MB RAM, and I would like to extend it's power. A friend of mine told me some details about Wiz, and I must say, it's quite impressive, but I couldn't read to much about it. I'm interested in knowing if it has Wifi capabilities, since I'm thinking of starting a project using google maps. I'm sorry that I toked your time by posting here before of doing a little bit more research on my own, but I don't quite have allot of time on my hands right now. Thank you.

That seems to be a big bummer :(, since networking between a handheld and a PC is quite entertaining.

Hi! The Wiz has no Wifi capabilities out of the box. But there is a Wifi dongle/cradle announced.

Regards,
Stephan

As an addon I think that WiFi is something few people will get w/o promise of developer support to come, and few people will support w/o a significant userbase. Addons in consoles have always been problematic outside of software bundled with them. And you can't expect GPH to develop anything themselves.

In short, I would be cautious about purchasing it with the intention of developing WiFi for a substantial userbase, that is, unless you only want WiFi for developing it for yourself. Then you should be good (also, a lot of infrastructure and internet things should be easy to get going since it's Linux)

Not sure if you wanted, but since you asked for specs this is the rundown:
CPU - 533MHz ARM9, which is crippled by the memory interface/lack of cache. Should be much better than a DS though.
RAM - 64MB, shared with video and audio, with the upper 24MB or so being less immediately available.
2D video - Two RGB layers with color keying and alpha blending. I don't know what the prospects are like on hardware scrolling. Actually, I never thought about that much, for this or GP2X. There's also a YUV layer which you can scale with good filtering.
3D video - No one is really sure what its specs are like, but it's probably much better than DS level.
Audio - Just digital stereo stream, no accelerated functions that I know of.
Screen - 240x320 AMOLED display, with rotation handled by the LCD controller but at the price of diagonal tearing.

Thing is, I love that it has a wider screen then a Nintendo DS, and I could surely put it to good use. I'm thinking of getting it in order to develop a suit of applications for it, that I could use while traveling[text editors, calculators, map viewers, organizers, games, custom audio&video players]. Thank you Exophase for posting those specs. I also have two more questions about it:
- Does it have a Mic included?
- Does it ship to Romania?
Thanks about all. Thank you for your time, and sorry for bothering.

RupeeClock said:
Seriously though...why does the Wiz have a Mic again?

There is a sound recorder included in the firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
sbock said:
RupeeClock said:
Seriously though...why does the Wiz have a Mic again?

There is a sound recorder included in the firmware.

The microphone seems really unnecessary, but I guess if the wifi adapter is ever realised, the microphone could then be very useful huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back