Wiz Screen Issues

rollingharoo

Still Fresh
So I've owned my Wiz for a few months with no issues so far. However, many people here have complained about screen burn/rot issues that have pretty much destroyed their Wiz. How does one encounter these screen issues, and are they determined by the age of the Wiz, dropping it, or just plain old manufacturing defects?

I've had mine for a good 5 months now and have not seen any evidence of screen rot either (thankfully!). My impression was that the internal screen has an airtight seal that, if broken (either during manufacturing/shipping or after purchase) can expose the screen to moisture that in turn may cause the OLED material inside to start rotting away.

Some people have reported owning their Wiz for quite some time without experiencing the issue, so I'm not sure whether or not it's inevitable. It was apparently prevalent enough that GPH decided to use a non-OLED screen in the Caanoo though.

I treat my electronics fairly well, so I'm crossing my fingers that my Wiz won't experience screen rot (at least not until I've got my money's worth out of it anyways).

Orion4874 said:
I was a preorderer and I've had my Wiz for a few years now with no problems at all. You should be fine as long as you don't crack the screen.

You've had your Wiz for that long eh? How's the battery holding up so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
rolling_haro said:
Orion4874 said:
I was a preorderer and I've had my Wiz for a few years now with no problems at all. You should be fine as long as you don't crack the screen.

The battery's another story. Doesn't hold much of a charge anymore, maybe an hour or so of continuous use. That's one thing I hate about GPH, they make it incredibly hard to get spare parts for their consoles. These things should be readily available IMO.

Would it be possible to just solder in another battery of the same voltage?

Orion4874 said:
rolling_haro said:
Orion4874 said:

The battery's another story. Doesn't hold much of a charge anymore, maybe an hour or so of continuous use. That's one thing I hate about GPH, they make it incredibly hard to get spare parts for their consoles. These things should be readily available IMO.

It may be possible but you probably won't find another battery with a similar form factor. Plus, I'm no expert when it comes to that so I would be worried about frying something on the board.

Damn it. I love the Wiz for it's portability, but spare parts and its OLED screen is a pain. Would it be possible to solder a AA or AAA battery holder on the back cover so it can use disposable (and rechargeable) batteries? Also, are there any thoughts on finding replacement screens for the Wiz, preferably LED? Sorry if I'm asking for the impossible at this point, but the Wiz is just too awesome to die like this.

You could probably change out the battery type to standard alkaline/NiMH/NiCd, but you'd have to then be careful because it almost definitely wouldn't be safe to then connect the USB cable while those batteries are installed. You'd probably be better off getting a different but circuit-compatible lithium-ion battery even if it doesn't fit inside of the Wiz's battery compartment (personally I wouldn't mind having some more bulk to wrap my hands around anyways, as I find the Wiz a bit small).

HunterZ said:
You could probably change out the battery type to standard alkaline/NiMH/NiCd, but you'd have to then be careful because it almost definitely wouldn't be safe to then connect the USB cable while those batteries are installed. You'd probably be better off getting a different but circuit-compatible lithium-ion battery even if it doesn't fit inside of the Wiz's battery compartment (personally I wouldn't mind having some more bulk to wrap my hands around anyways, as I find the Wiz a bit small).

That sounds like a better idea. I didn't think about the USB connection. :lol: Has anyone here found a circuit-compatible lithium-ion battery for the Wiz?

Has anyone opened up their Wiz and looked at the battery to find out what manufacturer and model number it is? I haven't opened mine because I haven't had problems, and because there are screws holding on the back plate.

another way to go if your desperate is to use one of those solar charging li ion batteries, attach it to the back of the wiz with velcro tape and attach it to the usb charge port.., bulky but it would most definitly work..

LTStone said:
another way to go if your desperate is to use one of those solar charging li ion batteries, attach it to the back of the wiz with velcro tape and attach it to the usb charge port.., bulky but it would most definitly work..

lol I don't think I'm that desperate. Plus, wouldn't charging the Wiz like that while playing it cause screen burn?

I doubt you'd want to play it while solar charging, as you'd have to set the brightness to maximum to even see the picture - which would likely suck up most of the power being generated by the solar panels.

No No no you silly guys, you can charge the battery via usb or solar first then use it as a backup battery as the Wiz can be played while charging. here's a link..
http://cgi.ebay.com/1350mAh-Li-ion-Battery-Solar-Charger-iPhone-MP3-iPod-/230622610013?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item35b22dc25d

HunterZ said:
I doubt you'd want to play it while solar charging, as you'd have to set the brightness to maximum to even see the picture - which would likely suck up most of the power being generated by the solar panels.

Back