Wiz Firmware 1.1.0 *will Not* Restore - Help Needed!.

glossywhite

Still Fresh
Hi people. I am trying to restore Wiz firmware 1.1.0 to my Wiz (which is on 1.1.0). I need to have the unit factory restored... but it doesn't work; I just get a "GPH" logo.

I too a clean, FAT32 formatted SDHC card (yes, it works in the Wiz) and copied the extracted update files to the ROOT of the card. Here are MD5 sums of the extracted files, and the filenames. In Ubuntu I did:

Code:
user@box: cd /path/to/extracted/firmware/
md5sum *

5cfd4536eb642be1cf196d0d0f5b196d polluxb
bdbe54dffb05a916bd04da4f82d7a97f uImage
8e744d64849f7dacd4d9f15510bc1077 uImageUP
2f9d7c4da96250de9c394cf090b20b66 update.gz
9594f11278d4d9aadb524d35d56504bd vfat.img
fe6c178820873fc598831461c1a07bbc wiz_ubifs.img

Would someone be so kind as to verify their MD5 hashes of the six extracted files of firmware 1.1.0?. Thanks.

Your files are fine.

glossywhite said:
I too a clean, FAT32 formatted SDHC card (yes, it works in the Wiz)
If it works in wiz it doesn't mean it's good for update, as Linux is not loaded and bootloader handles the card there. So try reformating the card or using a different one.

Last edited by a moderator:
strider_mt2k said:
Wasn't this being addressed in another thread?

I posted, noone solved it.

notaz said:
Your files are fine.

glossywhite said:
I too a clean, FAT32 formatted SDHC card (yes, it works in the Wiz)
If it works in wiz it doesn't mean it's good for update, as Linux is not loaded and bootloader handles the card there. So try reformating the card or using a different one.
So the chipsets inside the Wiz are incapable of accessing the VERY SAME CARD I use daily (SDHC)?. Wow, this device just gets better. Not.

Mr 2X said:
You could try with a non-SDHC card (SD < 4 GB).

Because they mention that, don't they! :rolleyes:

Okay, I downgraded to 1.0.1, and once the downgrade was complete, I erased the files from the card, and put the 1.1.0 upgrade files on the root of the card. I then power it on with the right shoulder button pressed, and all I get is a GPH logo for about 10 secs, then a flash of a stripy pattern which looks like a TV out of sync, and then it goes black - then... nothing!.

This is ridiculous.

No, I think your attitude is ridiculous. Certainly the device is not perfect, but your behaviour is that of a troll.

trentg said:
No, I think your attitude is ridiculous. Certainly the device is not perfect, but your behaviour is that of a troll.

Really?. I think my complaints are more than justifiable.

trentg said:
That may be. Your attitude isn't.

You have no idea about my attitude; if you don't like what I say, feel free to opt out of my thread.

I'd say from all the whining *bolding*, ::) eye rolling, and other BS that I have a pretty good idea about your attitude. You haven't just attacking GPH, you've been rude to several members of this community responding to your ranting and raving. And if you don't like what I say, and what others have said also, maybe you should just take "your" thread elsewhere.

trentg said:
Thanks for the apology. That was big of you.

Dude... seriously... whatever. Go and do something useful, instead of trying to start net-arguments. I have no problem with you, it is with the console developers I show my dismay.

Enjoy whatever day/night it is, and accept that you're not the only person with an opinion, and you have no right to tell me how to express mine, ok?.

Cool.

PS: If I knew why I was supposed to apologise to you, maybe I would. You've blown my mind, now please - stop.

glossywhite said:
trentg said:

Dude... seriously... whatever. Go and do something useful, instead of trying to start net-arguments. I have no problem with you, it is with the console developers I show my dismay.

Enjoy whatever day/night it is, and accept that you're not the only person with an opinion, and you have no right to tell me how to express mine, ok?.

Cool.

PS: If I knew why I was supposed to apologise to you, maybe I would. You've blown my mind, now please - stop.

You HAVE been quite the ass ever since you came to these forums. YOU should be doing something useful. YOU should try developing for the Wiz at it's current state. The developers are working very hard to come up with software even though GPH has not released anything to really help make developing easier.

BUT to the point. Why do you need to restore it to factory settings? Do you need to so you can return it? If so, then you should explain to the store you got it from that restoring it to factory settings is impossible. If they are any where close to reasonable, then they should accept the unit even if it is not restored.

Good luck, and try to be easy on the developers.

chickendung said:
glossywhite said:
trentg said:

Cool.

You HAVE been quite the ass ever since you came to these forums. YOU should be doing something useful. YOU should try developing for the Wiz at it's current state. The developers are working very hard to come up with software even though GPH has not released anything to really help make developing easier.

BUT to the point. Why do you need to restore it to factory settings? Do you need to so you can return it? If so, then you should explain to the store you got it from that restoring it to factory settings is impossible. If they are any where close to reasonable, then they should accept the unit even if it is not restored.

SEEING as YOU seem TO like USING caps; IF you HAD read PROPERLY you'd HAVE seen IT is A review SAMPLE from A distributor. I am interested in reviewing products which are quirky and interesting, and especially so if they run GNU/Linux. I have absolutely ZERO interest in helping with the development of a hobbyist's niche gadget - the point is I am reviewing the unit because I like the idea that it runs free software, but as for developing it, I think that GPH's heart isn't in it, and these projects are generally a dead end, albeit a fun one, during the journey it takes.

Desktop/server/mobile phone (HTC!) GNU/Linux is going somewhere - I hope that one day GPH or whoever buys them out, will take this somewhere. It is still at the prototype-like stages that the GP2X was when I had one 3-4 years ago, and they don't seem to have progressed much, apart from adding bleeding edge OLED screens and slighly faster ARM cpus. This project is moving, but round in circles - the circles of the GP2X community, and until it breaks out of that loop, is it just a fun project for a few hardcore gaming geeks and devs - no offence is meant to ANYONE doing this work; you have wonderful skills FAR beyong anything I could do, but this is dead in the water, commerically, right now, and if they're happy with that, then that is great.

HaVe A nIcE dAy! :)

glossywhite said:
chickendung said:
glossywhite said:
trentg said:

Cool.

SEEING as YOU seem TO like USING caps; IF you HAD read PROPERLY you'd HAVE seen IT is A review SAMPLE from A distributor. I am interested in reviewing products which are quirky and interesting, and especially so if they run GNU/Linux. I have absolutely ZERO interest in helping with the development of a hobbyist's niche gadget - the point is I am reviewing the unit because I like the idea that it runs free software, but as for developing it, I think that GPH's heart isn't in it, and these projects are generally a dead end, albeit a fun one, during the journey it takes.

Desktop/server/mobile phone (HTC!) GNU/Linux is going somewhere - I hope that one day GPH or whoever buys them out, will take this somewhere. It is still at the prototype-like stages that the GP2X was when I had one 3-4 years ago, and they don't seem to have progressed much, apart from adding bleeding edge OLED screens and slighly faster ARM cpus. This project is moving, but round in circles - the circles of the GP2X community, and until it breaks out of that loop, is it just a fun project for a few hardcore gaming geeks and devs - no offence is meant to ANYONE doing this work; you have wonderful skills FAR beyong anything I could do, but this is dead in the water, commerically, right now, and if they're happy with that, then that is great.

Where does it say it is a sample unit in this thread? I have not read every single thread of yours, just this one. I was not aware yours was a sample.

P.S.
Try spelling sometime. Goodbye.

chickendung said:
glossywhite said:
chickendung said:
glossywhite said:
trentg said:

Cool.

Where does it say it is a sample unit in this thread? I have not read every single thread of yours, just this one. I was not aware yours was a sample.

P.S.
Try spelling sometime. Goodbye.

You picked out an example of me mis-spelling *TWO* words (they're called "typos" and they happen sometimes, when you type fast :rolleyes: ) , as a basis to put yourself on a pedestal above me, to feign some illusion of superiority?. I could be dyslexic for all you know; I'm not, but that is pretty pathetic dude, but I am sure you've never made *any* mistakes, so that's okay.

PS - I don't understand why you think I'll have trouble spelling "sometime" - you did it for me! ;)

I guess if you don't get any help in this thread you can always start another one, right?

That would give you an entirely new opportunity to be rude to the people you are asking help from.

strider_mt2k said:
I guess if you don't get any help in this thread you can always start another one, right?

That would give you an entirely new opportunity to be rude to the people you are asking help from.

FTW :D

Back