Wiz-Cap32: Amstrad Cpc Emulator For Wiz V1.1.0

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
wizcap32-v110.jpg

Hi All,

Caprice32 is one of the best emulator of the Amstrad CPC home computer
series running on Windows and Unix, written by Ulrich Doewich.
This emulator faithfully imitates the CPC464, CPC664, and CPC6128 models
(see http://sourceforge.net/projects/caprice32 )

Here is a port on GP2X-Wiz of the version i've previously ported to PSP.

Many new features have been added compared to GP2X-F100 version.
Here is a copy of the changelog :

- Cheat support !
- Speed improvements
- Text editor to modify the global cheat.txt file
- Memory monitoring engine to find your own cheat code !
- Text editor to write your own comments on games
- Display first comment line while browsing game files
- Add option to disable auto fire in settings menu
- Improve file requester with virtual keyboard to choose
sequentially rom files beginning with a given letter
- Zip rom files are now decompressed in memory (much faster !)
- Improve file requester with virtual keyboard to choose
sequentially rom files beginning with a given letter
- Add documentation for settings in help menu
- bug fix in CRTC emulation
(games such as Prehistorik II just couldn't be launched)

How to use it ? Everything is in the README file.

This package is under GPL Copyright, read COPYING file for more information about it.

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/

Enjoy,

Zx.

UPDATE: You may download it here http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,72,205

GP2X-F100 Version can be found here http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,72,2791

Yeeeeeyy!!!

Finally a CPC emulator for WIZ that's improved and gives full speed compared to the past attempts in gameparks.
I can run some good demos with hardware tricks and get 150% speed when clocked in 700 (I get around 75fps when in ultra mode and timing disabled)
The sound cracks a bit.
The options are quite improved. Now you can easily redefine keys for any different CPC game and that makes it great to play your favorite games with the right controls.

It's hours of fun for CPC lovers!

I won't be getting a Wiz so many thanks for the GP2X version. It's been a while since I have used your previous versions and it's a very good emu. In the changelog you mention "speed improvements", does this mean that the speed in the normal and fast modes has increased? In those modes the games didn't run at fullspeed if I remember correctly and you had to play in ultra mode to get 50fps.

Another thing is in your previous versions one of my favourite games, the vertical shooter Ikari warriors didn't have perfectly smooth scrolling, it was slightly jerky but it didn't affect the gameplay although it was noticeable. Why does it do this and could this be resolved?

Hirolaser said:
I won't be getting a Wiz so many thanks for the GP2X version. It's been a while since I have used your previous versions and it's a very good emu. In the changelog you mention "speed improvements", does this mean that the speed in the normal and fast modes has increased?

For the GP2X-F100 version there is no speed improvements. It might be the contrary since i have just recompiled the wiz version using gp2x-f100 flags.
I haven't build a GP2X-F100 version hand made with gcc profiling stuff etc ... as i've done with previous version.

Hirolaser said:
In those modes the games didn't run at fullspeed if I remember correctly and you had to play in ultra mode to get 50fps.

Another thing is in your previous versions one of my favourite games, the vertical shooter Ikari warriors didn't have perfectly smooth scrolling, it was slightly jerky but it didn't affect the gameplay although it was noticeable. Why does it do this and could this be resolved?

It could be resolved using vertical synchro but the price to pay is the speed on the emulator which is already slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for the emulator, i am enjoying it a lot :)

Do you think the diagonal problem is posible to solve it soon? The pollux set doe snot solve it :(

Thank you :)

Rivroner said:
Thank you very much for the emulator, i am enjoying it a lot :)

Do you think the diagonal problem is posible to solve it soon? The pollux set external script does not solve it :(

Hi again zx-81, what do you tihnk about my question? Thank you :)

Rivroner said:
Do you think the diagonal problem is posible to solve it soon? The pollux set external script does not solve it :(

When it will be solved by a new SDL library version ... For now i prefer to port as much emu as i can ;). Tearing / diagonal issue is not that much serious imo ...

zx-81 said:
Rivroner said:

When it will be solved by a new SDL library version ... For now i prefer to port as much emu as i can ;) . Tearing / diagonal issue is not that much serious imo ...

Thank you for the answer zx-81 :)

Have you read this thread? Franxis solve the problem.(Not really, but the diagonal tearing is almost imperceptible)

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/48038-frame-rate-frame-sync-and-diagonal-tearing-occlusion/

Compiling with this may solve the problem almost completely:

http://notaz.gp2x.de/misc/dev/pollux_dpc_set_r1.zip

zx-81 said:
Hirolaser said:

It could be resolved using vertical synchro but the price to pay is the speed on the emulator which is already slow.

Is it the same for your other GP2X emu's or is it specfic to the Amstrad one. I mean do the GP2X ports of MSX and Atari 7800 suffer from the same problem?

zx-81 said:
Hirolaser said:
I won't be getting a Wiz so many thanks for the GP2X version. It's been a while since I have used your previous versions and it's a very good emu. In the changelog you mention "speed improvements", does this mean that the speed in the normal and fast modes has increased?

For the GP2X-F100 version there is no speed improvements. It might be the contrary since i have just recompiled the wiz version using gp2x-f100 flags.
I haven't build a GP2X-F100 version hand made with gcc profiling stuff etc ... as i've done with previous version.

Hirolaser said:
In those modes the games didn't run at fullspeed if I remember correctly and you had to play in ultra mode to get 50fps.

Is this vertical scrolling problem present in the Wiz version of the emu?

Another problem on the The GP2X version is that in the game Dizzy the main sprite flickers, is it still the same on Wiz?

Also is the emu fullspeed in normal and fast modes?

Sorry to bring up this old thread but I'm seriously thinking of buying a Wiz and I love 8 bit computers. The Amstrad CPC in particular is one of my favourite systems. If zx-81 or anyone using this emu can test these it would be appreciated.

Since last Ikari SDL appeared the tearing problem was gone.

YOu only have to put the sdl file in the main folder of the emulator, the normal one file not the fast. The fast one have still some problems.

Back