Caanoo / WIZ Wiz As Mac/pc Gamepad

chickendung said:
Hello again! I want to request if anyone could figure out how to use the wiz as a game pad for Mac OS X. Are there any plans to create such software? I have no idea how to program anything, so I was thinking someone in these forums could do it.
So your telling me your going to spend $180 for a handheld to act as a $20 joystick, yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
chickendung said:
Hello again! I want to request if anyone could figure out how to use the wiz as a game pad for Mac OS X. Are there any plans to create such software? I have no idea how to program anything, so I was thinking someone in these forums could do it.
So your telling me your going to spend $180 for a handheld to act as a $20 joystick, yeah.
Please, my $15 Logitech Rumbledpad 2 is a much better gamepad than a Wiz would be -_-

Maybe he just means that since he's getting a Wiz already, he might as well see if it's possible to save up on spending $15-$20. It wouldn't make much sense either anyway.

'Pickle' said:
'chickendung' said:

No, you ass. I wanted to see if it could have that feature as well. If it isn't possible, then I'll deal with it. Your an idiot for thinking I would spend that much money for just a control pad. I haven't seen someone act so inanely in years.

Yeah, that was a REALLY dumb assumption to make, I gave him the benefit of the doubt but I reread your first post a few times and I couldn't find anything that implied you mainly wanted it as a controller. If you already have the Wiz and don't want to throw down extra money on a gamepad, then I could see that this would be good, but as someone else said you can get a logitech one for $15. I have one and they're very nice (and work great with both PCs and Macs), so it's probably not worth saving $15 to program all of that.

'chickendung' said:
'Pickle' said:
'chickendung' said:

No, you ass. I wanted to see if it could have that feature as well. If it isn't possible, then I'll deal with it. Your an idiot for thinking I would spend that much money for just a control pad. I haven't seen someone act so inanely in years.

You are insulting the dev who has probably been most active on the wiz so far.

'Peter R' said:
'chickendung' said:
'Pickle' said:
'chickendung' said:

You are insulting the dev who has probably been most active on the wiz so far.

arggarrgggghhhh , now im really mad!

ok not really, I was really making the same point as everyone else, you can get better product designed to do what you want.spending the little amount of money and time required.

I may just have said it in a blunt manner. But i did so because The OP didnt seem to really think about his question before he asked it. Here are some questions that I would have asked myself:
Can I do what I want with something that exists and that's affordable?
Do I have time to learn how to program a joystick driver/software on both sides, the wiz and the pc?
What I/O does the wiz have that I could use?
Do I need to learn something in order to use the hw?

Its nothing personal against this poster, but its the same kind of post, can it run windows, can it emulate xbox, can it run halflife. Is engaging in a little bit of brainstorming before you post, is that too much to ask?
And I swear we had the same question come up for the GP2X.

If I was a dev I would personally "give" you the money for a wireless controller for your PC rather than putting time and effort into making the wiz a game pad. I understand what you were asking and why but really... Also I've read some of your other topics that you've started and the questions have been kind of on the pointless side. What are you really wanting to get a Wiz for?

His other questions didn`t seem pointless at all. Don`t try so hard to drive new people away...

I don't want to drive him away. I'm just having a hard time figuring out what he wants out of the Wiz based off certain questions being asked. Also a few of the posts have been kind of on the demanding side.

I'm getting a Wiz for emulators. I've said that a few times already. I've been asking these questions because I'm new to the entire GP2X scene, and I've stated that as well. When have my questions been demanding? ANSWER ME NOW!!! ;). I believe I've been calm, patient, and understanding with my posts. If a Wiz controller isn't possible, then I'll deal with it. I said that above. Why are you even asking me why I NEED a Wiz? Do you want to decrease sales or something? ;)

'Pickle' said:
Its nothing personal against this poster, but its the same kind of post, can it run windows, can it emulate xbox, can it run halflife. Is engaging in a little bit of brainstorming before you post, is that too much to ask?
Have you experienced any DS Homebrew? There are at least two applications that allow the DS to act as a game pad on a PC. There is one with a better interface somewhere on GBATemp. I don't think it's that much to ask:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHPd4uiVGb4

Wouldn't it be even simpler since you aren't dealing with wireless on the Wiz (yet), just a USB cable? :huh:

I'm not sure I enjoy the tone of threads like this, Exophase and Pickle set the tone and didn't answer or contribute when chickendung asked a valid question. Ignoring the logistics of such an idea it's still valid, even more to the point, chickendung seemed annoyed and a little upset at the responses.

It's obvious chickendung is not buying a Wiz purely to act as a joypad, but the thought of using the Wiz as a basic pad with extra buttons on the touch screen is kinda fun, although it probably won't have any longevity.

Please can we be less aggressive to others on the board, even if your answers were meant in jest can you word it in a way that reflects this as not to appear condescending to their questions.

'chickendung' said:
I'm getting a Wiz for emulators. I've said that a few times already. I've been asking these questions because I'm new to the entire GP2X scene, and I've stated that as well. When have my questions been demanding? ANSWER ME NOW!!! ;). I believe I've been calm, patient, and understanding with my posts. If a Wiz controller isn't possible, then I'll deal with it. I said that above. Why are you even asking me why I NEED a Wiz? Do you want to decrease sales or something? ;)
No I don't want to decrease sales. As for the demanding part I went and saw the topic you started "Someone Subtitle This Video!" I don't know but that sounded kind of demanding to me. I did go back and reread the thread. The thread was not demanding, but I was thrown off by the thread title. For that I appologize.

chickendung said:
'Pickle' said:
Have you experienced any DS Homebrew? There are at least two applications that allow the DS to act as a game pad on a PC. There is one with a better interface somewhere on GBATemp. I don't think it's that much to ask:

Wouldn't it be even simpler since you aren't dealing with wireless on the Wiz (yet), just a USB cable? :huh:

the gadget OTG usb probably would be the best choice if someone was to attempt this. I guess you could make a kernel module that could act like a hid or something.

'Pickle' said:
'chickendung' said:
'Pickle' said:

the gadget OTG usb probably would be the best choice if someone was to attempt this. I guess you could make a kernel module that could act like a hid or something.

Well, thanks for your knowledge, but it looks like no one is interested in making something like this. Unfortunately I don't have any programming knowledge. Never mind everyone! :)

Honestly, I think chickendung is asking a valid question. Yes, he can buy a gamepad for 15 dollars, yes it's completely retarded to want to use the Wiz as a controller, considering it's got less-than-perfect controls to begin with, and let's face it, most cheap controllers you can buy are more comfortable, BUT! The Wiz is designed to be messed with. Whether or not anyone actually wants to spend time getting something as stupid as that to work is another question entirely xD. I'm just saying, being that the console is this piece of extremely hackable hardware to begin with, asking to turn it into a controller isn't entirely stupid.

Although I didn't say it wasn't sort of stupid.

WarmFluffyUK posted on May 18 2009 at 11:34 PM said:
It's just as stupid as using a PDA with Infra red as a TV remote control, doable but never practical :D
Maybe not practical, but it DOES open the door for more interesting ideas. Such as unlocking content or adding extra features or gameplay options in a computer game designed with the wiz in mind. Much like the psp interacts with the ps3 and the ds to the wii.

If someone were to look into this, I'm sure more applications could be used, and maybe even vast firmware improvements could be made this way. ;)

Back