I Need Mac Help Regarding Ini Files

MiOdd

Website
Visit site
So I am a new Mac user, just bought a Mac Mini running Mac OS X 10.5.7 so I'm not very familiar with the operating system as of yet.

Anyways, my issue is, every time I create my own ini file the operating system creates its own ._ini file that is messing up my menu. For example, I installed BlastRiot on my Wiz and created my own ini called "BlastRiot.ini" so when I load up my Wiz there are two items displayed on the menu, one reads "Blast Riot" as you would expect but I also get a second entry that reads "._BlastRiot.ini" which is incredibly annoying and I don't know how to get rid of it.

A co-worker suggested I download PrefPane from http://secrets.blacktree.com/ which allows hidden files to be displayed but it is not showing the files I need. After activating this app I can see the .DS_Store files but the individual ._ini files are still invisible on my OS but visible on my Wiz so I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

MiOdd said:
So I am a new Mac user, just bought a Mac Mini running Mac OS X 10.5.7 so I'm not very familiar with the operating system as of yet.

Anyways, my issue is, every time I create my own ini file the operating system creates its own ._ini file that is messing up my menu. For example, I installed BlastRiot on my Wiz and created my own ini called "BlastRiot.ini" so when I load up my Wiz there are two items displayed on the menu, one reads "Blast Riot" as you would expect but I also get a second entry that reads "._BlastRiot.ini" which is incredibly annoying and I don't know how to get rid of it.
The culprit here is osX's Finder - there seems to be no way to make it stop making those blasted invisible files and if you delete them they are simply recreated each time you use the disc. At one point I had a little shell script that I would use to recursively delete all the hidden files off the Wiz and unmount the volume, but it was unreliable, mainly because of the Wiz's annoying habit of immediately re-mounting itself after it is ejected by the OS.

You're not going to like my personal solution - I use Windows XP running in Parallels to manage my Wiz on my MacBook. I fire up XP, and then attach the Wiz. I've set Parallels to only mount the Wiz as a USB device for XP, not for Mac, so the Mac Finder never sees the Wiz, and never dumps it's little files all over it.

There is also a program called "Finder Cleaner" that is supposed to help with situations like this (dump hidden files off SD cards and eject them) but I found it didn't go deep enough into the directory structure to work well with the Wiz.

I could give you the terminal command but as you are a noob to the Mac, and presumably Unix, it might be irresponsible to do so... you can do a lot of damage to your computer fast if you don't know what you are doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice, I did some more internet sleuthing after I posted here and found the dot_clean command to work like a charm, although it took me some time to find out how to access the mounted drives in terminal, haha, I finally got it though.

Anyways, is that the terminal command you were referring to, the dot_clean? It seems like a pretty easy solution just have to remember to run it whenever updating the Wiz but do you still think its easier to run Parallels? I was planning on installing that at some point anyways just haven't gotten around to it.

Ghanji said:
these files are resource fork files.
a reliable tool for keeping your sd-card clean is the commercial software blueharvest
Whoo. Thank you! BlueHarvest works a treat. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back