Wireless Multiplayer?

shill

Still Fresh
Would two Pandora systems be able to simulate the GBA system link cable through Bluetooth or WiFi? Assuming, of course, that a GBA emulator would be written to support it. That is all.

iBrew said:
Would two Pandora systems be able to simulate the GBA system link cable through Bluetooth or WiFi? Assuming, of course, that a GBA emulator would be written to support it. That is all.
You answered your own question. The only problem being the 'two pandoras' part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consequence9 said:

Yes, that was clearly supposed to say 'two months'

Consequence9 said:
iBrew said:
If you meant that I won't know anyone IRL that owns a Pandora, my friend that lives down the block is actually getting one as well, so that's solved. If you meant that, well...no one has a Pandora...then right you are. :p

iBrew said:

Oops. just noticed when you joined. Welcome! The short answer is "we hope so". The broader answer is "probably in time if there is enough of a community where you'd likely run into another with a pandora". Like all homebrew software, there is a 'demand! so supply!' attitude so let's hope this feature makes the big time. I actually shouldn't speak for the people making the emulators, but like everything, if enough people want it, eventually someone's going to pick it up.

iBrew said:
Consequence9 said:
iBrew said:
If you meant that I won't know anyone IRL that owns a Pandora, my friend that lives down the block is actually getting one as well, so that's solved. If you meant that, well...no one has a Pandora...then right you are. :p
Lucky! Actually come to think of it i know there are a bunch of future pandorians in my general area; hopefully we can arrange some sort of get-together.

Another option for wireless multiplayer would be net-play via kalliera; once again tho i'm pretty sure that would require each emulator to be coded with support.

banjeed said:
iBrew said:

Oops. just noticed when you joined. Welcome! The short answer is "we hope so". The broader answer is "probably in time if there is enough of a community where you'd likely run into another with a pandora". Like all homebrew software, there is a 'demand! so supply!' attitude so let's hope this feature makes the big time. I actually shouldn't speak for the people making the emulators, but like everything, if enough people want it, eventually someone's going to pick it up.

Thanks for the welcome! In other words, since not one is not likely to meet another person owning a Pandora, the chances are slim I get to trade Pokés with my friend. Ah well, maybe I'll try my hand at development.

atomicthumbs said:
Ask Exophase :p

Is this a feature anyone else would want?

Very few people in my area ordered a unit if the map on Google is to be believed. Would be nice if there was a Kaillera-like option in some emulators.

-Tj- said:
Very few people in my area ordered a unit if the map on Google is to be believed. Would be nice if there was a Kaillera-like option in some emulators.

I've been hollering for some sort of Pandora netpay server app for a while. The closest thing that came with a search was POND, but nothing official has been said on that thread for over a year.... I hope it hasn't been abandoned. I resurrected the thread a couple of days ago here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/44768-announcement-pond/

But haven't received any response yet from AireTamStorm. My post describes a Kaillera-like utility which is part application launcher (homebrew or emulator) and part chatroom. That way the few of us who own Pandoras won't be sitting in, say, a dedicated GBA emulator's netplay feature when they could be playing X-Men vs. Street Fighter with someone.

But, I'm not a coder and I have no idea what this project entails. All I know is that the Pandora would be worth so much more with this feature. Probably needs a standardized netplay function across emulators and homebrew, and the coding necessary to launch a specific app, load a specific rom if needed, and connect the two users.

Maybe by talking about it...

I would be interested in this feature as I'm probably gonna get my GF a Pandora eventually and there'll probably be a few people on my course who will see it and go 'oooohhhhh' and get one.

I think the first question that needs answering is whether any GBA emulators on any platform currently emulate the wireless link in any way, shape or form. If they do then there's a chance it'll be made to work on Pandora

The problem with network emulated GBA link is latency. Direct link of the GBA has almost no latency, wireless will see a few milliseconds, through the internet... hoooboy. Even if the emulator supported it, the game itself may throw a fit if things don't happen in the time it expects.

I just remembered something from VisualBoyAdvance that may provide a convoluted workaround. I vaguely remember there being an option to open up two VBAs on your PC and "link" them together. Could I feasibly transfer my friend's savegame into my Pandora, and then run two emulators locally on one system? I mean, it wouldn't be elegant, but it would work.
Proof of concept (not my video)

VBA-link, a fork of VisualBoyAdvance, abandoned in 2004, supports linking. Local and over the net. But it's using windows-only stuff for it. VBA-M, VBA's successor, also contains that code, but it's disabled due to not functioning properly.

I would totally pay to have this feature! :D

...just throwing in my $0.02

EDIT: Of course I would pay more than $0.02! You know what I mean! :p

Consequence9 said:
iBrew said:
Consequence9 said:
iBrew said:
Lucky! Actually come to think of it i know there are a bunch of future pandorians in my general area; hopefully we can arrange some sort of get-together.

Another option for wireless multiplayer would be net-play via kalliera; once again tho i'm pretty sure that would require each emulator to be coded with support.
hmm well what do you know, im only a 30min drive from cleveland....

Back