Wip Gp32 Mame 2.2

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Website
www.slaanesh.net
Sorry, no updates recently - been *playing* MAME games rather than developing lately. Especially the Zodiac enhanced version of PalmMAME which is really nice now. (I should be getting commission on Vilmos' Paypal donations... ;) )

Anyways, here's what I am working on the GP32 version:

* Using DevKitARM r18. Not sure if there are any inherent improvements using this new release but it's always nice to use the latest version.
* Updates to core graphics engine from the recent updates to the GP2X (MAME4LL) versions. Small increase in speed for most games! Thanks Franxis and Chui. Nice work with the MAME4ALL/GP2X MAME. I love it! Now if someone could get a decent version of MAME4ALL *with* hardware acceleration happening on the PSP...
* Other minor optimizations to game drivers. More detail soon.
* Sample support. I've sourced (what seems to be) the entire library of .SAM samples and are working on getting this implemented. Got some nice sounds happening in these classic games. Still needs a bit of refinement.
So, finally Zaxxon with sound! Donkey Kong with extra sound! Asteroids with hi-lo thunps. Space Invaders with bleeps and bloops. It's all very exciting. :D
DaveC, I'm sure you'll be happy.
Again, this should be easy to port up to the GP2X version.

If possible, I will create a third download containing the complete set of these .SAM sound samples as an extra download with the 2.2 release - assuming there are no issues with doing so.
Can anyone advise about this?

Cool. Howcome you don't port the changes to the GP2X too though? You have a GP2X too but it seems for some reason you only update the GP32 one. If Franxis doesn't do it would it be possible for you to fix the GP2X version too?

Thanks

Awesome! Looking forward to the new version, thx for your hard work slaanesh! If you ever are in need for some new visuals for MAME don't hesitate to let me know...

yeah this is great news! I actually am logging in a lot of play with GP32 Mame lately, and each release keeps getting nicer and nicer. Have you guys tried Super Zaxxon yet, is it just me or is that the hardest game ever?? What sadistic assholes must have designed it...!

Keep up the great work!

slaanesh posted on May 29 2006 at 07:07 AM said:
DaveC posted on May 29 2006 at 04:05 PM said:
If Franxis doesn't do it would it be possible for you to fix the GP2X version too?

I'm sure Franxis will port it across to the GP2X. I'll ask him nicely. :)

Aw man, why no love for the GP2X? You should get a new cap, you may like it more then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work Slaanesh :D

Of course i will add the modifications in MAME GP2X...

I have spent some time improving the cpu cores (they should be quite faster in GP32). E.g. Psycho Nicks Oscar runs at 100% at last with my last WIP version (GP2X-280 MHz).

Also I'm going to add new games to MAME GP2X (e.g. Joe & Mac Caveman Ninja...).

And i have pending to add the commandline support for the Zaq121 frontend... Done

Regards.

There's a few games which have samples included as part of their ROM set - these won't play with my mods to the samples driver.

There are a few games the fall under this category:

bosco.c
cclimber.c
exidy.c
meadows.c
mooncrst.c
phoenix.c
pleiads.c
rockola.c
starforc.c
targ.c
vlm5030.c
votrax.c

I've had a look at Bosconian and that was a pretty straight forward fix. So I'll check the others and see how they function.

On another note; I'm looking forward to the new version of GP2X MAME! :)

I've made some changes to the sound system.

* By default, sound will now be played at 11025. There is a new option to play at 22050 (the original frequency).
Setting to 11025 will result in a fair increase in speed in games that curently struggle with sound. For example, 1943 and Ghost and Goblins gain 2-3 FPS. Older games which run at full speed can still benefit from using the 22050 mode, so nothing is lost.

* Accurate mode is also more selective about mixing more accurately.

* Disk samples are starting to sound a bit better now and I can understand the voice in Astroblaster and Zektor... :)

Its great to see that these releases are more than a port to GP32MAME but some new additions as well. Now that Vilmos has just released his new version, I guess there will be a small delay. :lol:

Back