WINE supports ARM

That's a bit of a stretch. It may be able to convert system calls, but the actual instructions need to be emulated still. At the very least, someone needs to combine this with QEMU.

QEMU emulating the x86 WINE on ARM has been demonstrated, but it was fairly slow. Native system calls should speed things up a bit. Hopefully someone has the time.

Building and running WINE on ARM has always worked.

The only real application for this is like WizardStan said, combined with QEMU. (or open source win32 apps that use cygwin to build)

The only thing that changed is: from now on this is officially supported where before it was not.

Even if performance is bad, I can foresee a mean game of minesweeper coming out of this.. Ignore the facts there are Linux native versions, we all know and love the Microsoft version.

Even if performance is bad, I can foresee a mean game of minesweeper coming out of this.. Ignore the facts there are Linux native versions, we all know and love the Microsoft version.
I am gonna need that 3D Pinball game with the shitty GIF-looking graphics, that I always lose because pinball is so freaking hard.

Left and right trigger will be the paddles.

In fact, I should just get my old 3D engine, hook it up to ODE, and make a pinball game that doesn't suck horribly. In ACTUAL 3D.

I am gonna need that 3D Pinball game with the shitty GIF-looking graphics, that I always lose because pinball is so freaking hard.

In fact, I should just get my old 3D engine, hook it up to ODE, and make a pinball game that doesn't suck horribly. In ACTUAL 3D.

Winelib does not emulate anything. It is a library that allows you to recompile a windows application for use on a unix/linux system, including an arm linux system. This means that, for one thing, you need the source code of the application that you want to run.

Winelib does not emulate anything. It is a library that allows you to recompile a windows application for use on a unix/linux system, including an arm linux system. This means that, for one thing, you need the source code of the application that you want to run.
Oh, I see.

So that's how "WINE supports ARM" and yet it doesn't magically convert x86 to ARM.

Well, 3D space cadet pinball sucked anyway.

Oh, I see.

So that's how "WINE supports ARM" and yet it doesn't magically convert x86 to ARM.

Well, 3D space cadet pinball sucked anyway.

We got a few excelent Pinball games on the Pandora! In my eyes the 2 best ones ever made, pinball dreams and fantasy for Amiga, the greatest pinball games up to date!

Now back on topic, I guess we wont see Whine usable enough for anything good ever, tho we can allways hope?

Ive played alot with quemu on PPC macs with linux and MorphOS but mostly as proof on concept, tho via OSX on a PPC Mac Mini G4 ive got decent speeds when trying out windows XP, tho thats at 1,42GHz cpu with 1GB ram :p

//som99

Now back on topic, I guess we wont see Whine usable enough for anything good ever, tho we can allways hope?
I don't know if WINE supports Win16, though I'd assume it did. Hence it might let you run early windows 3.1 games which might just, with a following wind, be fast enough.

Remember that that Pinball game started as part of Plus 95, fifteen years ago :)

I'd never want any Windows software on my Pandora. Might kill the hardware.

I don't know if WINE supports Win16, though I'd assume it did. Hence it might let you run early windows 3.1 games which might just, with a following wind, be fast enough.

Wine supports 16-bit NE executables, could be fun to compare wine vs dosbox with W3.x installed :)

//som99

Wine supports 16-bit NE executables, could be fun to compare wine vs dosbox with W3.x installed :)

//som99

I dunno, but I'd pit qemu w/Laurent's mods against DOSBox any day of the week when it comes to x86 on ARM performance. Especially with qemu in user mode emulation instead of system mode.

Well, pre compiled or not, this seems pretty interesting! Could open source ogre (or other for that matter) games be recompiled and run on the pandora in the same manner, or am i completely missing it?

If it works, i totally think this should be split into it's own topic!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I'm bumping an old, thread but I thought it would be better than creating a new thread and linking this one. But I'm interested in buying a pandora and I'm wondering if anyone has tested WINE on pandora since it can work now. I can't find anything outside of this thread.

Back