DOOM3

I doubt it. RAM will likely be a big issue. Perhaps with a lot of effort and some serious downscaling in textures and graphical effects.

We'll see. If it does it will be an excellent way to showcase the capabilities of the Pandora.

The theory is that it is right on the edge of what is possible. A lot of discussion happened about it running back when the Pandora was still two months away from release. As I recall, the consensus was that with custom textures (as Caine mentioned) and some shader modifications, it would be the absolute of what the Pandora was capable of.

It has been made to run on "lesser" x86 hardware with very heavy modifications, so it should be possible to some degree, but only time will tell just how great a degree.

I don't know why anyone thinks XBox is lesser than Pandora (except in RAM).

I doubt it. RAM will likely be a big issue. Perhaps with a lot of effort and some serious downscaling in textures and graphical effects.

If it can run (as is pointed out above) on an XBox with 64MiB of RAM, why would the Pandora's 256MiB be a problem? I'd have thought id will make the XBox textures available too.

We'll see. If it does it will be an excellent way to showcase the capabilities of the Pandora.

Yes. I'd be damn good amswer to those gaming friends* who politely question why its worth $500. Put that in your DS and smoke it.

* Funnily enough, if you show it to a non-gamer they seem to be mightily impressed because, look!, its a bloody small laptop! But gamers just see lots of dollars and frown.

Edit: You know what, this is pie in the sky stuff. Let my enthusiasm get away from me

Last edited by a moderator:
DOOM 3 PC Minimum System Requirements

P4 1.5Ghz CPU (or equivalent).

384MB of RAM.

64MB graphics card (see below for chip details).

2GB of free hard drive space.

Lowest supported GPU is a Geforce 4 MX

Welp, the main problem seems to be CPU speed, as I've heard the Pandora can only overclock to about 1GHZ (without voiding warranty.)

DOOM 3 PC Minimum System Requirements

P4 1.5Ghz CPU (or equivalent).

384MB of RAM.

64MB graphics card (see below for chip details).

2GB of free hard drive space.

Lowest supported GPU is a Geforce 4 MX

Welp, the main problem seems to be CPU speed, as I've heard the Pandora can only overclock to about 1GHZ (without voiding warranty.)

I don't know, most of it looks like a big problem to me. Unless we take the XBox specs instead;

PIII @ circa 800MHz

64MiB RAM

. . . In which case it all seems like a slightly smaller, but still very difficult, problem.

I've seen it said somewhere that anything over PII level is very tricky for the Pandora.

How would one port the X-box version of the game to the pandora? The source code would be completely different wouldn't it?

Or is id releasing the code for consoles and PC?

I feel like custom textures would be so "labor intensive"

Would be amazing

Nah, that's the easy part. It could basically be done with a batch conversion in any ol' image application. It is MUCH easier to reduce the images to lower size than the other way around, that requires a lot of time. There have been a number of high-rez packs for games like Doom and Quake, where they have actually re-drawn every single texture. Now THAT is labor intensive, and still it was done ;)

I'm guessing some clever tweaking and cutting back of some effects would be needed, combined reducing texture size for RAM purposes.

I don't think it's impossible... but it won't be a case of "Oh there's the source... lalala recompile for Pandora." IT will require someone prepared to put some effort in and look for ways to milk more performance.

I don't know why anyone thinks XBox is lesser than Pandora (except in RAM).
Who said anything about XBox? I was talking about the patch that had it running on an old Voodoo card with just 12MB of VRAM. A lot of discussions on the internet from people using that patch to get it to run on things as low as a P2@400.

Note that by "source code", it's only the engine, not the assets necessary to play the game with. That's still cool though, since people will be able to start hacking on it and add some cool features to it.

If it can run (as is pointed out above) on an XBox with 64MiB of RAM, why would the Pandora's 256MiB be a problem? I'd have thought id will make the XBox textures available too.
Oh, I didn't know it had an XBOX version. That certainly raises the chances of it working on the Pandora.

Who said anything about XBox? I was talking about the patch that had it running on an old Voodoo card with just 12MB of VRAM. A lot of discussions on the internet from people using that patch to get it to run on things as low as a P2@400.
I'm pretty sure he's just referring to the fact that Doom 3 was published for the XBox as well. With its 733MHz mobile Celeron/PIII, GeForce 3 based GPU and 64MB shared DDR RAM it is far away from even meeting the minimum requirements of the PC version.

If they got it to run properly on 64MB total RAM, we'll surely get it running acceptable memory-wise without having to cut out too much.

I'm pretty sure he's just referring to the fact that Doom 3 was published for the XBox as well.
No, nothing to do with XBox, it is a fan made patch combined with extreme reductions in settings that actually allowed you to play it with a really old Voodoo 2 card. Reading that thread (and search the internet, find other threads) you'd find people who used that patch to get it to run on slower and slower systems. The limit of "reasonable" seems to be a P2@400Mhz with 256MB of RAM.

Edit: Oh, "he", as in Exophase. Right, that makes sense. Sorry.

Note that by "source code", it's only the engine, not the assets necessary to play the game with. That's still cool though, since people will be able to start hacking on it and add some cool features to it.

Yep, there's a big difference.

It's not surprising, after all, they did this with Wolf3D, Doom, Doom 2, Quake, Quake 2, and Quake 3 (noticing a pattern here?)

I saw somebody say "old" for Doom3 in the other thread - Old?? lol

Back