Caanoo / WIZ [Windows]Setting Up A Development Environment For The Wiz?

napco

Still Fresh
Hi! I've bought a GP2X Wiz yesterday, tried emulators, apps, games etc, but now i'd like to start developing SDL games for it. I've tried googling a bit on how to start developing on Windows XP, and i've found only DevkitGP2X and a forum topic explaining how to edit the makefile to use the same SDK for the Wiz, but i can't get it work. Could somebody that is already able to develop for the Wiz on windows explain it to me? It would be fantastic if you could also attach a simple makefile that uses SDL. It would really be a pity if i couldn't get it work, cause i've got a LOT of ideas... Thanks in advance!

PS: Sorry for the BAD english!

napco said:
I've tried it without success... Maybe i'm doing something wrong, but i don't know if the error is in the edited files or in the makefile...
We wont know either if you dont mention what the errors are ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok... I'm trying to compile an SDL-example that i have downloaded with the devkitGP2X from the archive. Before editing the 2 files and the makefile i was able to compile it but not to run it on the wiz (it freezes at the loading screen). Now that i edited the 2 files and the makefile, the "make" command founds an undefined reference to SDL_SYS_JoystickGp2xSys that appeares multiple times. And it seems also that it couldn't find libpng.so.3 (?) It also says that the errors are only 1.

By the way, this is the original makefile (for the GP2X):

Code:
CROSS_COMPILE = C:/devkitGP2X/bin/arm-linux-
SDL_BASE = C:/devkitGP2X/bin/arm-linux-
LDFLAGS = -static

CXX = $(CROSS_COMPILE)g++
STRIP = $(CROSS_COMPILE)strip

CXXFLAGS = -I"C:/devkitGP2X/include" -I"C:/devkitGP2X/include/SDL" -DTARGET_GP2X -O2 -Wall
LIBS = -L"C:/devkitGP2X/lib" -lSDL -lSDL_gfx --start-group -lSDL_ttf -lfreetype -lSDL --end-group -lSDL_image -ljpeg -lpng12 -lz --start-group -lSDL_mixer -lvorbisidec -lmikmod -lsmpeg -lmad -lSDL --end-group -lgcc -lm -lc -lexpat -lpthread -ldl

TARGET = sdltest.gpe
OBJS = sdltest.o

ALL_TARGETS = $(TARGET)

all: $(ALL_TARGETS)

$(TARGET): $(OBJS)
		$(CXX) $(LDFLAGS) -o $(TARGET) $(OBJS) $(LIBS)
		$(STRIP) $(TARGET)

clean:
		rm *.o
		rm $(TARGET)

End this is the edited makefile (for the Wiz):

Code:
CROSS_COMPILE = C:/devkitGP2X/bin/arm-linux-
SDL_BASE = C:/devkitGP2X/bin/arm-linux-
#LDFLAGS = -static

#FLAGS = 
CXX = $(CROSS_COMPILE)g++
STRIP = $(CROSS_COMPILE)strip

CXXFLAGS = -I"C:/devkitGP2X/include" -I"C:/devkitGP2X/include/SDL" -DTARGET_GP2X -O2 -Wall -mcpu=arm926ej-s -mtune=arm926ej-s
LIBS = -L"C:/devkitGP2X/lib" -lSDL -lSDL_gfx --start-group -lSDL_ttf -lfreetype -lSDL --end-group -lSDL_image -ljpeg -lpng12 -lz --start-group -lSDL_mixer -lvorbisidec -lmikmod -lsmpeg -lmad -lSDL --end-group -lgcc -lm -lc -lexpat -lpthread -ldl

TARGET = sdltest.gpe
OBJS = sdltest.o

ALL_TARGETS = $(TARGET)

all: $(ALL_TARGETS)

$(TARGET): $(OBJS)
		$(CXX) $(LDFLAGS) -o $(TARGET) $(OBJS) $(LIBS)
		$(STRIP) $(TARGET)

clean:
		rm *.o
		rm $(TARGET)

I don't even know if i've correctly edited it...

SDL_SYS_JoystickGp2xSys is GP2X specific so nothing is going to provide it, it will need to be edited out of the source, im assuming its some where in there.

Then i'll try to compile a simple "Hello, World" program and see if it works... And how could i handle input if the joystick functions aren't working? Maybe there are SDL compiled for the Wiz somewhere...

EDIT: It looks like i've managed to compile it, but the wiz freezes on the loading screen!

napco said:
Then i'll try to compile a simple "Hello, World" program and see if it works... And how could i handle input if the joystick functions aren't working? Maybe there are SDL compiled for the Wiz somewhere...

EDIT: It looks like i've managed to compile it, but the wiz freezes on the loading screen!
start your app using termula (see archives) and check the commandline output. i assume u don't draw anything on the screen? then the loading of course remains the only image on your screen ...

Yep, i'm not drawing anything... I thought that a normal program would start in console mode if no SDL_Init() was called... Well, then i'l try loading a simple image!

It doesn't work...! It always freezes at the loading screen. I'll give this "Termula" a try, but i really don't think it would help me, if i can't get a stupid "Hello World" program working...

napco said:
I'll give this "Termula" a try, but i really don't think it would help me, if i can't get a stupid "Hello World" program working...

Termula will probably dump out an error message that will help you understand what you're doing wrong. It's clumsy to use, but can really help in these kinds of situations.

satacoy said:
napco said:
I'll give this "Termula" a try, but i really don't think it would help me, if i can't get a stupid "Hello World" program working...

Termula will probably dump out an error message that will help you understand what you're doing wrong. It's clumsy to use, but can really help in these kinds of situations.
yep, true.

i also found/have a serial driver for windows that works with the wiz serial gadget. it's a demo version only (lasts for 4 hours after a reboot), but may also help. somewhere in the forums, i can send you the link if you're interested.

I CAN finally make games for the Wiz on Windows! I've found a WizSDK 7zip installer that includes an already configured Dev-C++ ide that works without problems!

YAYYYY!!!! I'm verrrrry happy!

Well, i think it's the same file, except that i've downloaded it from a direct link found in the Developers Corner of this site (if i remember well it should be at page 3).

Back