Windows Mobile On Pandora?

GizmoTheGreen

Heya, My brother has a iPaq 614c.

and the about window says the processor is an ARM920T PXA27x

So its an ARM?

would it be possible to hack this OS onto the pandora?

might be more trouble than its worth, but the Windows Mobile 6.5 os is pretty slick =)

It's possible to do, but Windows Mobile is not a free Operating System, as you might have guessed- so it would not be possible to just hand it out to all pandora owners. Also, creating a ROM of Windows Mobile for a device requires a rather expensive development suite to accomplish (called Platform Builder).

As for Windows Mobile 6.5 being "pretty slick".... that's a matter of opinion (which I happen to whole heartedly disagree :) ) I'm hoping Windows Mobile 7 redeems this line of OS's

yeah its expensive - thank god for MSDN

It will be something i'll definately try out on pandora

logically you cou try with a number of different cooked/hacked W.M 6.1 or WM 6.5 roms - there are a few out there

But you would in all honesty use android instead

RajTakhar said:
yeah its expensive - thank god for MSDN

It will be something i'll definately try out on pandora

logically you cou try with a number of different cooked/hacked W.M 6.1 or WM 6.5 roms - there are a few out there

But you would in all honesty use android instead

The WM 6.5 I use on the 614c is cooked, since original os for it is 6.0 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it seems that wine might be ported to ARM which should allow windows mobile apps to run on the pandora. I wouldn't hold my breath as it is really new, but then again if you are one of the early orders you should be used to it ;)
You can see the mention of it here (with a few kind word about the pandora)
http://yokozar.org/blog/archives/171

Somehow I doubt this is legal. Also, as a WM smartphone owner, I very much disagree with the "slickness" you describe. I find it to be sluggish and without any good features or programs. The only good thing I found was a gameboy emulator that barely runs at an acceptable framerate on my 416MHz device... I mean christ...

"By far the largest concentration of wine developers is in the netherlands. It has something to do with being below sea level, which means global warming is an ally of Wine as well."
Interesting read..

Pretty quiet in there:
http://beagleboard.codeplex.com/

A year or so ago, someone said that he wants to port WinCE to Pandora. I don't know if he's still interested after all the waiting. I can't remember his name right now. I remember that he asked for a devboard but didn't get one. His thread was on the other board, though.

Edit:
http://forum.openhandhelds.org/viewtopic.php?p=1337#p1337

exactly! poo sandwich tastes the same whatever seasoning you put on it, lets just leave windows to the x86 gamers (like me), and the old people who think MS make PC's, uh?

haha, i remember something about an old man insisting that linux was built ON TOP of windows, so there was always windows components hidden in the background, lol

Back