Windows 3.11

sehs33

Website
Visit site
Hi all,

Some of us remember the proof of concept we had months ago, when one of the members was able to install and run Win 95 on the 2X, I remember it was so slow that it even took 15 minutes to boot.
I am wondering if anyone tried installing Win 3.11? I guess if it was usable, then we got ourself a great new toy, specially if we were able to have support for keyboard and mouse, just a thought...

sehs33 said:
Hi all,

Some of us remember the proof of concept we had months ago, when one of the members was able to install and run Win 95 on the 2X, I remember it was so slow that it even took 15 minutes to boot.
I am wondering if anyone tried installing Win 3.11? I guess if it was usable, then we got ourself a great new toy, specially if we were able to have support for keyboard and mouse, just a thought...
Your only problem is dosbox's performance on the gp2x. It might be fun to try once, but probably not practical for everyday usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya Sam he used Bochs, I was mistaken.
@Pickle: but as far as I know, Dos Box is much faster, and Win 3.11 is much less demanding than Win 95.
I have a copy of Win 3.11, maybe I will try it this weekend, expect me to ask for help Dos Box gurus, last time I tried running a game on Dos Box it took me 3 hours to set it up :p

Ok, but why Win 3.1.1? Seriously Dos has more useful/fun things for it than win 3.1.1.......
*shrugs*

It already comes with plenty of applications, and it brings back memories to me more than Dos does :D
Edit: Plus, it will be impressive :)

sehs33 said:
It already comes with plenty of applications, and it brings back memories to me more than Dos does :D
Edit: Plus, it will be impressive :)

impressively slow... :)

Nah it probably won't be too bad. But yeah a real nostalgia trip. I don't think it offers anything useful, as such. I was tempted to do it before, just to see Neko try running after my cursor stuck way up in the corner...

Definitely post some screens when you get it going. Mind you, it might be good for word processing - with a keyboard... There isn't any other windows compatible text editor for the Gp2x?

sehs33 said:
Ya Sam he used Bochs, I was mistaken.
@Pickle: but as far as I know, Dos Box is much faster, and Win 3.11 is much less demanding than Win 95.
I have a copy of Win 3.11, maybe I will try it this weekend, expect me to ask for help Dos Box gurus, last time I tried running a game on Dos Box it took me 3 hours to set it up :p
I meant slow in general, not compared to bochs, which you most likely correct that its faster.

I'll be impressed if you can get it working, I mean why climb Everest? because it's there! Good luck with this and keep us posted, it will give people something to read whilst they are waiting for the latest incremental updates in the emus.

jislizard said:
I'll be impressed if you can get it working, I mean why climb Everest? because it's there! Good luck with this and keep us posted, it will give people something to read whilst they are waiting for the latest incremental updates in the emus.
I cant believe that some one still has a copy of 3.11 or older. Where would you even find it anymore?

If we got old Apple running with Basilisk, then surely we could get some ol' Windows platform running. And besides the obvious reasons for doing so, I really want to play MouseTrap!

at work we had some networking suite for dos that could only connect 2 computers and had a manual as thick as any computer book i've seen. maybe it was an old version of lantastic? i forget cause i threw that shit out :D

plus spools of coax cable for the connections.

PLUS the building we're in was wired with serial cables in the ceiling or some such nonsense.

you can't complain about windows if you had to deal with third party LAN solutions for dos (token ring...shudder)...

I have a box of giant install floppies for Windows 3.1, but I no longer have a drive to read them! I think they're downloadable, though...

XTC Abandonware.

Rumour has it that they stock such old things...

Google it, I don't know if I may post a link.

Hooka said:
Ok, but why Win 3.1.1? Seriously Dos has more useful/fun things for it than win 3.1.1.......
*shrugs*
WHAT ABOUT SKIFREE????

skifreeyeties1.png

Back