Windows 3.11

Zeviant

Still Fresh
Hi all,
My Gp2x is on its way and I will be using it as an emulators machine but I was wondering if anyone has tried porting Windows 3.11 or 3.1 to the machine. I have seen attemps at porting windows 95 and mac and was curious about having a weaker operating system but I think it should run pretty smoothly on Gp2x, wouldn't it?

Think so!
But I think that nobody wants to port it - and I don't believe that it's really open-source (you know M$)!!
You won't try Win 95, cause it's a boot time of 6 or 7 min. ! :blink:
But an other question: what exactly do you want to do with such an old operating sys?? ;)

Anyway, stay
cheesey

Use dosbox, it *should* be compatible, but I don't know, older versions of dosbox were not compatible..

there's no mouse support in dosbox, you'd need to map arrows plus a key to alt and enter and esc, so you could use the menus, but i don't see why it wouldn't work

i can't think of any games that would even work in a slow windows 3.xx that don't require mouse or extended keyboard input

what would you play?

I don't want to play in it (unless I have a sudden urge to play solitaire :p ), I was just curious to see if it would work to write, play those small games or use paintbrush. It's more of a curiosity.

I've seen some time ago a video on youtube showing Win 3.1 running on a Zx Spectrum, can anyone tell me if that was real or just a fake video?

It would be nice playing that on Gp2x.

Zeviant said:
I've seen some time ago a video on youtube showing Win 3.1 running on a Zx Spectrum, can anyone tell me if that was real or just a fake video?

It would be nice playing that on Gp2x.
It was just a demo. That's when a hacker/programmer demonstrates his/her artistic or programming talents. Windows was being simulated, not emulated.

You could set up GEOS through the Commodore 64 emulator. It has little games and a paint program. Or, try Deluxe Paint on the Amiga emulator. Also, there are any number of old Windows games that are implemented on other systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back