Windows 10

I guess there is no way to set the standard Pandora clipboard to work as expected? That's sad.
I wouldn't say that it isn't working as expected... The Pandora clipboard works the way that is expected to those that use unix/linux based OSs. By default it's not built into xfce4 perhaps because the xfce4 developers felt it's was a waste of resources to have it installed by default.  The Pandora could have a clipboard manager installed, it's just requires a clipboard manager to be installed, which may require compiling it from source code.  

That's what any linux distro is - a collection of 3rd party tools.   It's the specific selection of tools that make each distro  (and installation) unique.

exactly... Just to add Linux is malleable to the user and can be changed easily by adding on, modifying yourself. It's very powerful in this aspect. Linux on the Pandora is a slightly different experience than Linux on a laptop or desktop. It's very minimal due to the small storage factors. 

Last edited by a moderator:
... to work as expected? That's sad.
And there is your fault: You have wrong expections and don't like changes. In fact you want it like Windows XP/7 or better™.
Or better: You like Windows. You want Windows. But Windows is not cool anymore and it doesn't run on the pandora/pyra at all. So you use Linux, but brag about everything, which is not like Windows...

That's sad.

Linux has its up- and downsides but the downsides get fewer every year and besides (obviously) the awesome OpenSource devs, we also have to thank Microsoft for that, since their business strategies annoy more people every year.

I thought Windows never had DVD support, that you always needed a third party application. DVD drives themselves always shipped with free copies of players, and if not there was VLC. Doesn't seem like anything changed to me, you still need 3rd party software and Microsoft is as greedy as always, where's the surprise?

I thought Windows never had DVD support, that you always needed a third party application. DVD drives themselves always shipped with free copies of players, and if not there was VLC. Doesn't seem like anything changed to me, you still need 3rd party software and Microsoft is as greedy as always, where's the surprise?
There surely are people determined to pay $15 to be able watch DVDs, because they have never heard anything about VLC, SM player, etc ....

I wonder if the third-party applications will be blocked in the future, this is certainly possible with the DRM methods that are now built right into the processors (Intel Insider, AMD TrustZone) .

MP3 has no license cost. Fraunhoffer never asked for cash for Mp3.
According to wikipedia the patent expired in 2012 but apparently they did make money on it before then.

The Fraunhofer site (http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/ff/amm/lizenz/mp3.html) links here: http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/
Depends on your country. See Wikipedia on that subject.

On top of that, LAME implements mp3 encoding in most Linux distros and while it may be regarded as infringment, it's still widely used without issue.

On top of that, LAME implements mp3 encoding in most Linux distros and while it may be regarded as infringment, it's still widely used without issue.
This was indeed infringement in many countries. That's why most Linux distros require you to install them separately.
<edit>

I just stumbled across this:   Subscription fees for solitaire?
Good thing Pysol exists.</edit>

Well, at least Windows gets closer to Linux on some aspects...

Do you need to add a new repo (with complicated steps, warnings that you might break your computer and warning that the repo you're adding is evil) to get some audio/video codecs as well?  :p

EDIT: Too bad they didn't do the same thing for the web browser ("Pay to use Internet Explorer, or just use a free browser that's probably better anyway")

EDIT: Too bad they didn't do the same thing for the web browser ("Pay to use Internet Explorer, or just use a free browser that's probably better anyway")
Main use of the great MS Internet Explorer:

Download another browser. :D

They could get a lot of money with this step alone from people that don't know how to transfer an installation file. ^^

I wonder if the third-party applications will be blocked in the future, this is certainly possible with the DRM methods that are now built right into the processors (Intel Insider, AMD TrustZone) .
This bothers me too. Even if MS have no intention to do something like this, once a few 'interested parties' realise that such a thing is possible in the dominant (presumably) OS, I can imagine their arms being twisted to try to make the use of certain programs 'geo-blocked'. In this case, even after they've been installed for some time.

According to wikipedia the patent expired in 2012 but apparently they did make money on it before then.
In older Steinberg software packages at least, (eg Wavelab) MP3 encoding on offer was Lame or Fraunhofer - but only a limited number of Fraunhofer encodes, after which you had to buy a licence.

I feel that this could be one of the best things for them to do. ;)  You are doing great things, Microsoft.  Don't let all that free cash get away by not charging a subscription fee for IE.

Main use of the great MS Internet Explorer:

Download another browser. :D

They could get a lot of money with this step alone from people that don't know how to transfer an installation file. ^^
I forgot about that.  Doesn't everyone keep around a thumbdrive with portable windows software?  If not, consider it.

Back