Windows 10

OK, let's play a game. Linux Fans have to say something good about Windows and Windows Fans have to say something good about Linux.
The whole user account/rights complex beats the pants of XP and everything that came before it, and has almost *nix qualities, but the filesystem management behind it is a complete mess. I just can't comprehend, why MS had no problem at all introducing a completly new usage paradigm in Windows 8, but was hesititant to cut that "burden" off thats there since NT 4.0

They are trying really hard to make windows 10 fail, aren't they.

I suppose this is to avoid having to pay the license fees for every windows installation.
Why ? Windows 10 won't "fail" at all, quite the contrary, due to it beeing a free update a lot of people already have updated to it, and I guess a big percentage of those that are still sceptical will "jump the ship" in the last weeks of the free upgrade period - you can't deny something that is given to you for "free", can you ?And no really significant number of people cares about dvd playback out of the box (which was already gone in Windows 8), most people already use free/commercial or illegal ways of streaming if they want to watch something on their computer.

From a business point of view MS is doing the right thing,giving it out for free. The process of bossing around they users has begun with Windows 8 and took a big step forward with Windows 10, and it will increase with every milestone update (however they may call it eventually, afaik there won't be version numbers anymore) till everything that a user wants to do is channeled through their services.

MS - as always - is playing catch up with the rest of the industry, but this time they can use it to their advantage. Due to Apple/Google/facebook and sorts already having paved the way for locking people into their ecosystems and accomodating them to their hunger for personal data, most people are already accustomed to that.

Try to take the whole privacy situation of Windows 10 back to the release of Windows 7. I bet there would have been an "outrage" with different tech sites trying to top each other with the numbers of articles about that topic over several weeks. Nowadays, no one really cares about it anymore - anyone remembers what a huge issue it was when someone "discovered" that Intel introduced the PSN with the Pentium III series. Now people are just shrugging it it off > "they all do it anyway".

I won't upgrade to Windows 10, unless these whole privacy issues are worked out - except if some software product I have to use demands it. And even then, I probably would just delete my Windows partition and go full Linux and install Windows 10 in a VM environment.

Somehow I'm relieved.

There was a time this year when I thought about getting a newer Windows (like 7) to be able to play certain games properly with enough RAM and current DirectX features for example which WinXP doesn't offer, but this mess has convinced me, that every thought about ever using Windows again is foolish and unnecessary. My system stays free of DRM and spyware free for good now, that is certain.

I have even stopped buying games that work on my XP but not Mint, even if they do only cost a buck and I was eyeing them for a while.

Hopefully, more people will stay away from M$ and more companies will expand their Linux support in the future.

I also am not willing to upgrade. I will keep using win7 while it gets the security patches. When support is over, I will probably just move to Linux full time. I hope the gaming situation will be better by then. It already is a bit better than before but we still have a long way to go until most releases are available on Linux as well.

MS - as always - is playing catch up with the rest of the industry
Now, for me, this is where I think MS trip up. They don't have to play "catch up", in fact, they shouldn't really be playing that game at all.
Microsoft's dominant position in the market place is within businesses (or at least as far as I'm concerned). If they had kept Windows 10 and the Windows Phone designed around business - Secure platform with sysadmin tools to manage settings/policies/applications, I think they'd have faired better than they have chasing the consumer market.

I might be wrong though...

Edit: Re Win 10, I don't plan to upgrade, and I'll keep Win 7 as long as I can run all my games on it (though it'll be nice to try Steam via Wine at some point too)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, for me, this is where I think MS trip up. They don't have to play "catch up", in fact, they shouldn't really be playing that game at all.
I did not want to imply that I think this is the right thing to do, it is just how I think MS "rolls": doings things their way, while the rest of the market moves forward. At some point in time they realize that something is going on and there is money to be made, so they start hassling around and pushing something in the market.

Given that MS installed an adware Trojan disguised as an "Important Security Update" in order to shill their new operating system- anyone using Windows >= 7 has already lost the battle. What's the next "Important Update" to come down the intertubes? Perhaps some backports of these lovely new Digital Rights Mutilation features?

Build your own linux from source; it's the only way to be sure.

For the last few days, iv'e been getting an error when I start up the PC and log in.  "Critical Error - Start menu and Cortana aren't working"

I upgraded my laptop to windows 10 and the video codecs were non existant.. constant errors, no support at all. I reverted back to windows 8.1 and everything is better on this awfully slow freaking laptop. On my desktop windows 10 seems to run just as well as windows 7 without crashing and BSODing all of the time.

Still prefer linux every time.. just wish I could play the games I play on windows on linux natively.

I will probably start playing with a Windows 10 VM soon.  I think it is the education edition or something like that.  Is there anything I should look out for?

For anyone that is using windows 10, do you like it?

I don't like it on my desktop.. the OS seems to be as stable as a Russian Mafia snitch on a waiting list for witness protection. Every day it seems to shit itself and its so slow on boot up most of the time I don't even bothering rebooting. I cleaned up the system and the damn thing had 1 gig of crash logs...... 1 GIG! I'm really starting to wonder if I could just compile my own version of a linux at this point..  All I'd realistically need is a good media player, wi-fi drivers, and youtube downloader...

My main computer I used for gaming until this crap started to occur.... I use AMD processors and ATI graphics cards which windows seems to now be CONFUSED by. Seriously this update is pathethic... at least its not like windows 8 I suppose.. or as I call it windows Update... Sigh All of these suck.. I miss the old ubuntu that didn't spy on you and had Gnome...Anybody got any good linux suggestions? 

Windows 10 spies on you.

Captain_Obvious.jpg

I upgraded two machines (one from 7, one from 8) both had issues with this or that driver. Fresh install on both fixed everything.

You can shut off Cortana and the information tracking. I'm not a fan of the mandatory updates, but there's a bit of flex there with scheduling.

I still like it better than Android (which since Kit-Kat has made me rage). Never owned an Apple product. Linux is certainly freer but oodles more time-intensive.

You can shut off Cortana and the information tracking.

No you can't, at least not most users.  I'm too lazy to find the link but it was discovered that only the "pro" version could completely shut all that off, and only in a counter-intuitive way, by actually enabling some feature and then setting the loglevel to 0, which is only available for the Pro version; disabling it defaults it to a value of 1 which causes it to still send information, you just don't benefit from it locally, and the home version can't be set to 0.
So yeah, you can "turn off" Cortana, but the data tracking still happens, unless you're on pro and know what to change.

Cortana won't be part of the kernel, surely you can look around in services or fire up Procexp to kill it.

So yeah, you can "turn off" Cortana, but the data tracking still happens, unless you're on pro and know what to change.

Well, not ALL the data tracking, but some yes. I found an article on it, not sure if it's what you're referring to but I did replicate the search hit to bing just now through Fiddler. Thankfully I never use the search, but aye that is indeed annoying.

Back