Windows 10

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
Microsoft officially announces Windows 10 for phones, tablets, PCs, and more

For whatever reason, Microsoft decided to skip the number 9 entirely and name Windows 10 as the successor to Windows 8.1. The new OS version will unsurprisingly come with the features that have been rumored for the next Windows iteration over the past few months.

gsmarena_004.jpg
5c0affed47a70b9c3a8b7d2846a475d9.jpg

What happened to 9?

Anyway, I hope this one will be better than W8/W8.1.

There are three most likely reasons:

1) Since the latest version of Mac OS X is named "OS X (10) 10.10", Windows 9 would look older in comparison;

2) As you said, it could be the last-ever major update;

3) Maybe to make Windows 7 users say, "Oh, Windows 10 is already out and I'm only on Windows 7!"
It could be that Windows will continue with incremental updates only (10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc.) like Mac OS X, since MS has pretty much found the perfect formula (let's hope so). Apple already does that with OS X. It's not unlikely that it happens with Windows 10 too since the PC market is shrinking every day, and will eventually become a niche.
it means win 10 will be the last buy . we can upgrade further for free like os x.
http://blog.gsmarena.com/microsoft-officially-announces-windows-10/#disqus_thread

https://www.youtube.com/embed/84NI5fjTfpQ?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
or just upgrade to win8 and ditch the stupid tile crap. its a superior OS without all that metro shit

Bad omen? Only the uneven numbers were good Windows versions in the past, so I had opes for 9 being the actualy successor of Windows 7. But now we may get an successor of Windows 8...ewww...

I don't know.  Overall, I think many of the changes done are a good idea.  I'll need to mess with the preview when it comes out tomorrow. 

For those that are curious, the sign up page (open tomorrow from what I heard) is preview.windows.com

-Glyph Reader

I'm in a happy place staying away from Windows for so many years.. when someone asks me if I know how to fix a random Windows issue I just say.. "Well I haven't really used Windows in years and not sure I can help you, but maybe someone else here in the office could help you." 

Windows huh? Can't say i have the tolerance for using it, let alone willingly. I wonder if people will ever move on to better options.

Windows huh? Can't say i have the tolerance for using it, let alone willingly. I wonder if people will ever move on to better options.
As soon as all PC games run faster under Linux than they even did under windows, I'm sure alot of people will switch over. :)   Rest are Office Users that has to be convinced to use Open/Libre Office, should be doable.  Yes, Windows is mostly Office and gaming imho.  :D

Is Windows 10 Linux?

Anyway, since I've purchased the Pandora, I've tried to learn Linux and now all my computers at home are Linux.  The only place I am forced to used Windows is at my work.  Fuck that shit.  I tried to stay away from it as much as I can.  I recently got Citrix work on the OpenPandora and it works so nicely that I don't have to use my Windows computer at work any more. 

@Fusion_Power: There's also all of those people who don't really care and just keep using whaterver OS their PC ships with.

I imagine they would probably rather switch to Tablets before bothring to try anything else.

Well that's the thing, 2000 was originally marketed to business uses only as it was based off Windows NT and was intended as a successor to it.  However at the time they were trying to sell a huge hunk of crap to the home market (Windows ME ). Microsoft most likely didn't expect the huge amount of home users buying windows 2000 especially gamers.. If the popularity of Windows 2000 didn't get noticed, Windows XP could have been based off of ME and it would of been even more horrendous.  So thank the people that bought windows 2000..

Back