Window Xp On Pandora?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why isn't that thread locked yet? Once the question's answered, nothing good is to be expected from such threads.

Ok, I’m not stupid or “mental instability”, lol.

Where did all this source code talk come from? All I was wondering is about the possibility of running TinyXP through the Qemu emulator (or something similar) in Linux. If Pandora has the potential of running a full desktop Linux-distro then why can’t it use Qemu? (Qemu emulates an x86 processor.) Infact, Qemu itself is open source, so porting it to Pandora should be possible. Running TinyXP is totally different compared to full Windows XP. The minimum requirements are like 400MB HDD and 40MB RAM. Anyways it was just a thought. I could careless to have Windows on Pandora. I’m perfectly happy with Linux.

BTW, I wasn’t getting at "can it run Windows?" with the "can it also run everything that runs on Windows?” It was just a simple question of getting a stripped down version of XP running by emulation on Linux. I understand that by getting the OS to work doesn’t mean everything else will.

I wasn’t planning or hoping for Pandora with Windows. Just something I was curious about. Look at all the off the wall devices that people get Linux to run on, and in turn, some form of Windows through emulation. Like Xbox 360/Windows XP and PSP/Windows 95.

Nataku said:

Where did all this source code talk come from? All I was wondering is about the possibility of running TinyXP through the Qemu emulator (or something similar) in Linux. If Pandora has the potential of running a full desktop Linux-distro then why can’t it use Qemu? (Qemu emulates an x86 processor.) Infact, Qemu itself is open source, so porting it to Pandora should be possible. Running TinyXP is totally different compared to full Windows XP. The minimum requirements are like 400MB HDD and 40MB RAM. Anyways it was just a thought. I could careless to have Windows on Pandora. I’m perfectly happy with Linux.

BTW, I wasn’t getting at "can it run Windows?" with the "can it also run everything that runs on Windows?” It was just a simple question of getting a stripped down version of XP running by emulation on Linux. I understand that by getting the OS to work doesn’t mean everything else will.

I wasn’t planning or hoping for Pandora with Windows. Just something I was curious about. Look at all the off the wall devices that people get Linux to run on, and in turn, some form of Windows through emulation. Like Xbox 360/Windows XP and PSP/Windows 95.
It should be perfectly possible to run Windows XP in QEMU, and if you did that TinyXP would probably be the way to go.

That said, although I have no doubt you could get it to boot, I suspect the boot time would be measured in hours rather than minutes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nataku said:

Back on topic, usually running Qemu, aren't you usually running it on a x86 machine by default? x86 emulating another x86 device, doesn't seem that improbable eh? A completely different architecture like arm emulating x86. Yeah it can be done, but I'd rather watch paint dry or watch snails racing.

Nataku said:
All I was wondering is about the possibility of running TinyXP through the Qemu emulator (or something similar) in Linux. If Pandora has the potential of running a full desktop Linux-distro then why can’t it use Qemu?
thats the thing... it doesnt

and even if it did have the potential to run a full-scale desktop linux distro, that doesnt say much for its ability to emulate X86, and furthermore run any chopped-up versions of XP.

the linux that will be distro'd with the Pandora is going to be a very simple linux. ever use any of the PDA linux distros? (GPE, Opie, ect?) the pandora's OS should be similar (in functionality)

any chopped up linux GUIs that people in the future will get to run on the pandora, that resemble a desktop-os, will be smaller-scale (in terms of memory usage, applications, functionality, ect).

sure, Qemu could be ported to the Pandora. hey maybe it could even get Windows XP to run in its console mode.

what i doubt is:

- someone getting it to run to the point where it could sit at the desktop, and be able to launch a 3rd party app
- someone spending the time just to get that far, and no hope of getting any further
- someone having a legitimate use for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back