Window Xp On Pandora?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku418

Still Fresh
I know Pandora won’t be able to run Windows XP natively, but could Pandora run TinyXP through emulation with Qemu or something similar? I know there is not much point or reason to do this, I was just wondering if it could be done and at reasonable speeds. Thanks.

Nataku said:
I know Pandora won’t be able to run Window XP natively, but could Pandora run TinyXP through emulation with Qemu or something similar? I know there is not much point or reason to do this, I was just wondering if it could be done and at reasonable speeds. Thanks.
No. Not at reasonable speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you can get XP to run dont expect to play any 3d games.

if you understand that Windows XP cant run on the pandora.. then why would TinyXP work?

TinyXP is still Windows XP. someone has just gone and cut it up to take up less HDD space, and cut away the fat.

its still Windows XP, its still closed source, its still X86 based, and its still owned by Microsoft...

impreziv said:
if you understand that Windows XP cant run on the pandora.. then why would TinyXP work?

TinyXP is still Windows XP. someone has just gone and cut it up to take up less HDD space, and cut away the fat.

its still Windows XP, its still closed source, its still X86 based, and its still owned by Microsoft...
But he has mentioned it would be used under emulation.

If XP was ported directly (not whats up for discussion here) It would run fine on the Pandora.
Using XP through emulation is going to be unusably slow. TinyXP would only serve to bring the installer and RAM requirements down. The main limitation is the CPU x86 emulation that would slow it right down.

Can't we just be happy with linux?

impreziv said:

He never said he expected it to run natively.
He suggested TinyXP because it requires less memory, making it slightly more realistic to emulate. It's still impossible though :(

EDIT: Niros beat me to it.

i understand what he is asking, its still not possible

i doubt the pandora would even run any desktop-PC-oriented Linux Distros, with any acceptable speed whatsoever (and i mean desktop distros with equal functionality to XP.. GUI, software, and aesthetics in mind... like Ubuntu, Redhat, ect)

im not doubting the Pandoras cabability here, just being realistic. a full-fledged desktop Linux-distro wont run anywhere near acceptable speed, so a similar OS being emulated from a different CPU architecture isnt going to run either.

but who knows, with enough emulator optimizing, maybe it could 'run'. with very slow speeds, and little functionality. would the general community consider that 'running'? no. would it be worth trying? no.

im not trying to rag on the original poster here. but enough people have asked about this, that its been generally agreed upon that it isnt possible to have it running acceptably.

impreziv said:
i understand what he is asking, its still not possible

i doubt the pandora would even run any desktop-PC-oriented Linux Distros, with any acceptable speed whatsoever (and i mean desktop distros with equal functionality to XP.. GUI, software, and aesthetics in mind... like Ubuntu, Redhat, ect)

im not doubting the Pandoras cabability here, just being realistic. a full-fledged desktop Linux-distro wont run anywhere near acceptable speed,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i9cWOK1spw...feature=related
;)

I run Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn (old, I know) with XFCE on an ancient Pentium 233. It has 90 mb of physical ram and a six gigabyte hdd. I use it as my test server, and it has never gone down, except during power failures (not gonna waste a ups on that old thing).

Mind you, this is a computer that had trouble running windows 98 reliably... (although, that's probably window's fault.)

Point is, I have no doubt that pandoras will be able to run even the most "complete" distros (compiled for arm, that is), with a "real" window manager. (I don't expect gnome or KDE here to work at daily use speeds, but I think there are fine alternatives that will run speedily)

The pandora is plenty faster than that computer, and has lots more ram, so with a lightweight-ish distro+WM, I think we can expect plenty of acceptable multi-tasking speed and reliability.

Mind you, Linux will run natively, but windows has to be in an emulator, so windows automatically gets 99% off in the speed department.

I'm positive someone will figure out how to get around the memory requirements and waste a week of their life on the startup so that they can post a video of XP on a pandora, but I don't think anyone should expect any sort of windows to be functional (well, maybe 3.1 or 3.0. I got windows 3.0 to work on my pocketpc in an emulator, but it's incredibly buggy).

Summary:
"Full" Linux: YES!!!
Any Windows: No.

impreziv said:
No you retard!

XP minimum RAM: 256mb
TinyXP minimum RAM: 55mb

see the difference...

this thread should have ended 5 posts ago, sorry just being honest. Wow, anyone else watching the Olympics right now? America rocked France last night, it was just an amazing race. Lezak is my hero. What a run... er swim that is.
Oh is that Bob vansteel from Ipodtouchfans? If it is, nice vista skin *thumbs up. I'm the guy who made Vienna if you still remember.

Nataku, send a friendly email to Microsoft asking for their source code to XP and then we can built it for ARM.

and get back to me on how that goes. :p

MWeston said:
Nataku, send a friendly email to Microsoft asking for their source code to XP and then we can built it for ARM.

Please no.

On topic, who would honestly want to do this? Somehow I think this falls under the category of mental instability.

The problem I have with people asking "can it run Windows?" is that there's the implied "can it also run everything that runs on Windows?"
9 times in 10 I would bet, the questioner doesn't distinguish the difference between the OS and the software on which it runs. Some have shown some intelligence, asking if Win Mobile for ARM can be run on Pandora, and then blowing it by asking if that would then allow them to run Diablo 2.
To answer the question, yes, I imagine that you could use an X86 to get WinXP running at a reasonable speed. And that's it! Just the OS. It doesn't do a whole lot by itself.
Unless you had specific apps in mind, in which case you should just ask about the apps themselves, not about the OS.

Jonttu said:
this thread should have ended 5 posts ago, sorry just being honest. Wow, anyone else watching the Olympics right now? America rocked France last night, it was just an amazing race. Lezak is my hero. What a run... er swim that is.
Oh is that Bob vansteel from Ipodtouchfans? If it is, nice vista skin *thumbs up. I'm the guy who made Vienna if you still remember.
Hey Jonttu I remember you :D lol I say that exact race...it was AWESOME!!! man that last stretch was soo close. still don't think it's fair phelps is getting most of the credit/press for that race.

jmetal88 said:
bob vansteel said:
No you retard!
Chill dude...

lol i am...i was saying that in a sarcatic fun kind of way :p

bob vansteel said:
impreziv said:
No you retard!

see the difference...

whats your point? i understand the difference in memory requirements... what i was stating is that it is still Windows XP? im not sure what you are arguing...

you dont seem to have accomplished anything in stating the difference in memory requirements. but thanks for coming out.

In that case, I expect a near perfect Vista replica for Pandora. Though I'd prefer something that looks more like KDE for a GUI. I'll probably make a KDE skin later on.
Oh btw Impreziv calm down, his point was that TinyXP requires less memory to run, not that it matters. Besides TinyXP was made for systems with less memory.. for the most part anyway. I used it for gaming :/

impreziv said:
bob vansteel said:
impreziv said:
No you retard!

see the difference...

whats your point? i understand the difference in memory requirements... what i was stating is that it is still Windows XP? im not sure what you are arguing...

you dont seem to have accomplished anything in stating the difference in memory requirements. but thanks for coming out.

I was just pointing out the diff lied mainly in the RAM requirments(not the size of the OS). And only needing 55mb of RAM means that it could be possible if the pandora had an x86 processor, but seeing as we only have an ARM it still doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back