Will Overclocking Wreck My Pandora?

donnyhopkins

Still Fresh
Yes I'm new to all these shenanigans. So I've been overclocking to play some psx and mame, then putting it back to 500 again in a panic that I will fry it.

Is this likely/possible? Or is it all going to be fine if I leave it overclocked for long periods?

Thanks in advance

I was told that overclocking will reduce the overall life expectation of the chip.

I was told driving a car reduces life expectancy too.
It's better to shorten these purely academic discussions. In the end it doesn't matter. No overvolting, no fun problem.

Have a skim through this if you're really worried.

Basic rule of thumb is so long as a) the heat produced is not too much and B) you're not trying to to calculate pi to 30 bazillion decimal places (read: stressing the cpu too much after overclocking), then you should be fine.

So when you hear people saying they're OC'ing to 800, I wouldn't be too worried, unless your programs start glitching up (generally a bad sign).

mali said:
... No overvolting, no fun problem.

speaking of which, has anyone tried overvolting yet? Is it even possible without special software?

Last edited by a moderator:
Spirit said:
I was told that overclocking will reduce the overall life expectation of the chip.
It will.
Under the standard clock, you will get an estimated 20 years of 24/7 usage out of it.
Overclocked (technically overvolted, but we won't get into that) you can expect as little as 5 years of 24/7 usage. That is, if you were to run it overclocked (and overvolted, which we aren't, which means this estimate is very low to begin with) running it non-idle, 24 hours a day, every day, nonstop for 5 years, then your CPU would probably die.
Of course, if you're running it 24 hours a day, I suspect you'll die long before the first year is up :p

OK:

No they haven't, at least not as has been reported on the forms as far as I know.

And no, it's not possible without special software; in fact you need to replace the Kernal with one that supports it and this will most probably never be 'officially' supported by the OP team. You'll need to hack it in yourself - I guess people will post how to guides in the hacking forum when the time comes.

Pleng said:
OK:

No they haven't, at least not as has been reported on the forms as far as I know.

And no, it's not possible without special software; in fact you need to replace the Kernal with one that supports it and this will most probably never be 'officially' supported by the OP team. You'll need to hack it in yourself - I guess people will post how to guides in the hacking forum when the time comes.

Question ( and probably just an uneducated one ) what will Overvolting do, if overclocking the CPU gives us a faster performance already?

~Levi~ said:
Pleng said:
OK:

Question ( and probably just an uneducated one ) what will Overvolting do, if overclocking the CPU gives us a faster performance already?

overcvolitng alows you to overclock more.
but also makes more heat

GizmoTheGreen said:
~Levi~ said:
Pleng said:
OK:

overcvolitng alows you to overclock more.
but also makes more heat

Riiight okay, more heat, which wears out the component faster. I getcha. =) Thanks

vadsamoht said:
Have a skim through this if you're really worried.

Basic rule of thumb is so long as a) the heat produced is not too much and B) you're not trying to to calculate pi to 30 bazillion decimal places (read: stressing the cpu too much after overclocking), then you should be fine.

So when you hear people saying they're OC'ing to 800, I wouldn't be too worried, unless your programs start glitching up (generally a bad sign).

That applies more to x86 than ARM, however. :\ (Not to say that some of it doesn't apply to ARM)

WizardStan said:
Spirit said:
It will.
Under the standard clock, you will get an estimated 20 years of 24/7 usage out of it.
Overclocked (technically overvolted, but we won't get into that) you can expect as little as 5 years of 24/7 usage. That is, if you were to run it overclocked (and overvolted, which we aren't, which means this estimate is very low to begin with) running it non-idle, 24 hours a day, every day, nonstop for 5 years, then your CPU would probably die.
Of course, if you're running it 24 hours a day, I suspect you'll die long before the first year is up :p

Overclock and overvolt are separate. Since we aren't overvolting, (in fact, I think we are technically undervolted) then there is really little to no loss of processor life. Overclocking only does much damage when you are overvolting so that you can overclock even higher.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Overclock and overvolt are separate. Since we aren't overvolting, (in fact, I think we are technically undervolted) then there is really little to no loss of processor life. Overclocking only does much damage when you are overvolting so that you can overclock even higher.
Of course they're separate. That doesn't mean that overclocking doesn't do some damage. Your flicking electronic switches faster and faster, sooner or later they're going to snap, overvolted or not.

WizardStan said:
God Ginrai said:
Of course they're separate. That doesn't mean that overclocking doesn't do some damage. Your flicking electronic switches faster and faster, sooner or later they're going to snap, overvolted or not.

But since you are not overvolting, you are not stressing the switches to flip them. So yes, they will snap, but I don't see any reason to believe that they will snap any large amount sooner than they would have if you hadn't overclocked.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
But since you are not overvolting, you are not stressing the switches to flip them. So yes, they will snap, but I don't see any reason to believe that they will snap any large amount sooner than they would have if you hadn't overclocked.
The reason they "snap" is because they're only good for so many "flips". If they "flip" 50% more per second you're going to see an ultimate 33% drop in life expectancy.

WizardStan said:
only good for so many "flips".

Speaking as an EE:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NO

Anyway, these 'can I kill my X by overclocking' show up periodically on any mobile device forum. In theory it could happen. But I've yet to hear of any *actual* instances of processor failure like this occurring, ever.

Back