Wiimote Driver On Pandora?

Yamara

Website
www.cafepress.com
I know there used to be a bluetooth driver for the Wiimote that was recompiled to work on the Pandora lurking on the original application archive. I'm guessing with all the OS changes, it wouldn't work anymore, and was removed. I didn't have any luck searching the forums or Google about progress on it. Has anyone gotten the Wiimote working on their Pandora?

Update: I created a Wiki page with instructions. PandoraWiki: Using a Wiimote as a controller

I don't remember a Wiimote driver in the archive, although I can't be sure either way. Is it possible that you're thinking of the Sixpair utility for PS3 controllers? It was one of the first entries to the archive, and is still there.

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,115,4

The Wiimote tools are in the angstrom repo though, search for wii here:

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/

Ah, I had thought it would be a System App, not a Tool, so it didn't occur to me to look there. You're probably right in that I was thinking of the PS3 pairing utility. My boyfriend has one of those controllers, so I'll try that as well.

I had searched for combinations of 'wiimote', 'arm' and 'driver', and got all kinds of giant robotic arm links. I'll check out the angstrom repo. Thanks! I'll report back in a few days whether I get either up and running under Bluetooth. If anyone else has had any luck with it, it would be useful to hear though.

Just thought I'd note that cwiid runs entirely in userspace - it should be no problem getting it to run, and it would be quite independent on OS changes except if someone decided to remove uinput. In that case, it's a kernel (or module) compile away. I don't have a Pandora yet, but I have used cwiid.

so who can make this a reality? Giving the Pandora yet ANOTHER one-up on the rest of the handheld devices out there... :D

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
so who can make this a reality? Giving the Pandora yet ANOTHER one-up on the rest of the handheld devices out there... :D
Well - the Wiimote works on Android devices already, it's the cheapest way to get proper gaming controls on an Android phone if you already have a Wii :p
The Wiimote being one of the few bluetooth game controllers that exist, it would be great to use it on the Pandora since it wouldn't require a USB dongle or anything :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamara said:
Ah, I had thought it would be a System App, not a Tool, so it didn't occur to me to look there. You're probably right in that I was thinking of the PS3 pairing utility. My boyfriend has one of those controllers, so I'll try that as well.

I had searched for combinations of 'wiimote', 'arm' and 'driver', and got all kinds of giant robotic arm links. I'll check out the angstrom repo. Thanks! I'll report back in a few days whether I get either up and running under Bluetooth. If anyone else has had any luck with it, it would be useful to hear though.

I just did opkg install cwiid and then I ran wmgui. It seems to run fine, it connected to my wiimote and sensed all the button presses. It sensed when I plugged in a classic controller as well. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to get it to recognize any classic controller button presses. :( Edit: Nevermind, classic controller works too, just had to check "Extension Data" in the settings menu. :)

Hmm, using the analogs on the classic controller makes wmgui lag a bit.

^ define "mouse pointer"

If you mean "infrared camera" then yes. This works with libcwiid.

now if you want to use this as a mouse-pointer on the pandora .. this will probably need some work (although someone might have coded stuff like this for libcwiid).

[Edit: Seems this uses wminput included in Cwiid. There's some config on this page. Can anyone try this wminput and xorg.conf stuff?]

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
hey defo... what about the mouse pointer? is that functional yet?
I got the wiimote's accelerometer to work as a mouse pointer, but I haven't tried using ir or analogs on the classic controller yet.

edit: I made a video of me playing sonic with the classic controller-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QszWode2to

Defo said:
I just did opkg install cwiid and then I ran wmgui. It seems to run fine, it connected to my wiimote and sensed all the button presses. It sensed when I plugged in a classic controller as well.

I tried "opkg install cwiid", got an error about permissions on writing a lock file to /usr/lib/opkg/lock, so tried "sudo opkg install cwiid". This just gives me:

Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package cwiid.

This was run from the terminal, running Hotfix 3, with wireless up, and tried as well after a clean reboot. I haven't used opkg or Angstrom before. Is it like Debian where the package list is maintained and the individual system seeks out the package from the repository itself upon request, or do I need to download the packages from that repo site and install them? (I'm guessing both normally would work.) I didn't see any log files that might be helpful for the error.

It seems like cwiid has a lot of dependencies listed, and from the opkg list output on the Pandora, I don't see libbluetooth2 installed. Not sure if installing that would cause problems, but I get the same error trying to install that package too.

Doing what Tempel mentioned above should fix it for you. :)

Once you have cwiid installed, run wminput from the terminal and press 1+2 on the wiimote to connect. You can edit /etc/cwiid/wminput/default and /etc/cwiid/wminput/buttons beforehand to map the buttons of the wiimote.

Thanks Tempel and Defo. Running the package list update fixed the problem. wminput runs. I just need to grab batteries for my wiimote (I left them at home). :blush:

My first wiimote is paired to my Pandora. I just ran wminput and backgrounded the process in terminal. I commented out the .acc lines in /etc/cwiid/wminput/default so the accelerometer would stop playing with my mouse pointer. After some futzing, I realized I could just map the wiimote buttons to what the Pandora controls output (from guessing: + to KEY_LEFTALT, - to KEY_LEFTCTRL, then did button 1 to KEY_HOME, button 2 to KEY_PAGEDOWN, and buttons A/B to KEY_END) so I could try out the Sega emulator.

I had tried mapping those buttons to BTN_A, BTN_B and BTN_C, at first, but I assume it didn't work because I'd need to configure the emulator to see those mappings. Haven't tinkered with joysticks in Linux before.

Has anyone tried using two wiimotes? I'm assuming setting it up would require tinkering with each individual emulator's config files, to determine what to map buttons to. However, it doesn't seem like /etc/cwiid/wminput/default has settings for multiple controllers, and Google isn't providing me with any insight, other than cwiid seems to be capable of pairing 6 before freaking out.

Update: Running wminput twice in the terminal, then running the Genesis emulator, and configuring the controls and setting the button input using each wiimote, allows awesome Streets of Rage 2-player action. I guess the buttons don't have to be mapped separately.

Back