Wii-like Homescreen?

Solitaire

Still Fresh
Well, this is my first post, so I'll naturally get flamed, but I was wondering if it would be possible to have a Wii style homescreen for the UI, looking like this:

with dragging ability, shuffling, like the iTouch / iPhone, and icons and stuff like that.

I'm not asking for this to be the default UI, but I'm wondering if there is anything currently like this that could be ported, or if someone would be willing to make one.

And one more thing, would the Grab and Drag Firefox extension be compatible for doing iPhone-like scrolling?

That is one of the simplest interfaces to code, its very much doable. Not as powerful as other interfaces, but definitely fits in the easy to use category.

AireTamStorm said:
That is one of the simplest interfaces to code, its very much doable. Not as powerful as other interfaces, but definitely fits in the easy to use category.
Awesome...

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was under the impression that all linux FF3-compatible extensions would work. Could someone confirm this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything that isn't coded specifically for Windows or x86 should work, yes. Flash currently is a no-no. There is an open implementation, Gnash, that will allow you to watch flash videos fairly easily. Adobe recently opened up the Flash language to become a standard, so eventually you will see full flash support on the Pandora if all goes well.

Hope I answered everything.

That would depend on which firefox they are planning on using, the full-blown desktop version (my guess is probably not), or a version geared for mobile/embedded devices, like MicroB for the NITs (probably more likely). I don't think that I've really heard one way or the other.

I don't know which extensions will work for what and it honestly hadn't occurred to me until now that I could load extensions into MicroB. But NoScript seems to work, sort-of, it blocks scripts but doesn't allow you to turn them on easily. So, basically, it will probably depend on the specific build of the browser that they decide to use. But, even with something like MicroB, extensions can be made to work.

I'm guessing the desktop one with small caches to not eat a lot of ram.

The thing that I wonder about though, is the experience on the small screen. You don't want to use up real estate for stuff like menubars, toolbars, etc. Not to mention that not all of your dropdowns, or pop-up menus will even fit on the screen (similar to the EEE PC).

icurafu said:
I was thinking of developing a wii clone interface to work without tv out and a wiimote, but I think it would be a lot of work for a little gimmick.
Not really, joystick input, 2D texture blitting. With SDL, it would probably be extremely easy (from what I've coded in SDL, anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's still a lot of work for little gain, even if it is extremely feasable.

There are even ports of this done before for the PC, so the skins are there already.

There is a lot of work to do around getting the correct style. (Rotating cursor, scrolling and zomming in and out of screens which have to use OpenGL tricks with a frame buffer.) So I guess it depends on your definition of "extremely easy" and maybe your poor analysis of work effort.

Back