Backup Loader Channel

in3D

I'm trying to make it easy for a my friend to install the backup loader channel on his wii, so I used crazy installer to convert it to a channel installer (with 36 as the IOS), and then I put the resulting dol file into a letterbomb image. Will it work?

For the backups to work he is going to need a cios as well as a couple other ios's. The easiest and safest way to set your wii up for this is modmii.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/

To use the letterbomb hack you need to know the mac address of the wii you are trying to run unsigned code on. Have him go to settings >> Internet >> Console information. Have him send you this with his system version (also in settings)

Then once you have that run modmii, answer all the questions with the info you have and it will generate a set of files and a step by step guide to install/configure it on the wii.

You drag the files to the Wii's SD card, follow the guide and you're set. Easy, take about 30 mins. It will get the wii configured to run all homebrew, as well as legal backups. (Really buy games, support developers, you can rip games directly on the wii to the hard drive, it makes it super easy.)

After you make the files/guide modmii can even download emulators and homebrew and have it work instantly when you put the files on the wii. The wii has some really great SNES, GBA, NES, Genesis emulators with good speed and really polished interfaces.

So follow modmii, with it the Wii is easiest console I've ever made to run unsigned code.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, thanks! I knew about the mac address thing, and I thought the channel would require some sort of custom ios...

Wow, sounds overkill sending off details to somebody, when installing the homebrew channel would be so much easier. Don't know about the whole "backups" bit though, I never bothered with that

The homebrew channel specifically does not do anything to facilitate installing the necessary ios to run backups. Once you have the homebrew channel, there are easier ways than the one described, but it's still no walk in the park.

As we're talking about this stuff. Does running backups also include running games from a HD? 'Cos I have no interest in backups in the DVD-R sense of the word, but definitely the idea of running games from HD to save wear and tear on the drive (of my 6-7 year old first gen US Wii).

Wow, sounds overkill sending off details to somebody, when installing the homebrew channel would be so much easier. Don't know about the whole "backups" bit though, I never bothered with that
That process includes installing the homebrew channel. To install the HC you need an exploit, the only current non-disc based exploit is the Letterbomb, which requires the mac address of the console. So even if you wanted to install just the homebrew channel you would need the mac address.

The homebrew channel specifically does not do anything to facilitate installing the necessary ios to run backups. Once you have the homebrew channel, there are easier ways than the one described, but it's still no walk in the park.
I'm not really sure what process you are talking about, I would love to know if there is an easier way because modmii is cake.

Try installing the necessary CIOS's, IOS's, backup launcher channels, and the homebrew channel without modmii and then with modmii and tell me which one is easier.

As we're talking about this stuff. Does running backups also include running games from a HD? 'Cos I have no interest in backups in the DVD-R sense of the word, but definitely the idea of running games from HD to save wear and tear on the drive (of my 6-7 year old first gen US Wii).
Yes using this method you are only able to run games off of the hard drive, it won't let you run disc backups; you'd need darkcorp (bad idea, very buggy) or to install a modchip.

I run backups of games from an passport external HDD, using the application USB Loader GX.

is that what you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vdbrfsv-4SU?feature=oembed
That's the way, there are a couple loaders. I personally use CFG USB loader but USB Loader GX is the only other I'd recommend, they both work really well. If anything GX is more often updated.

I run backups of games from an passport external HDD, using the application USB Loader GX.

is that what you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vdbrfsv-4SU?feature=oembed
Yeah, I have the Homebrew Channel and BootMii on my Wii since, well forever, but was waiting for Nintendo to give up on nobbling homebrew and for the USB loader stuff to mature (and 2.5" disks to come down in price). Seems that since the Wii U, the Wii is more or less dead for new releases (hence no new firmwares I hope) and USB Loader GX looks frickin' awesome.

I want to stick all the Wii games (and my Gamecube library while I'm there I guess) on a drive with parental controls (don't want the kids playing No More Heroes and Madworld!) and that looks like it's a reality now.

I don't know about the parental locks tbh, no need as just my playing on my Wii ... but yeah I would highly recommend USB Loader GX.

Nice interface, no more swapping out discs [no more getting up off the sofa :) ]

You might want to check this video out too:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mqG95RvkUlE?feature=oembed

He explains and shows how to use WBFS Manager tool.

To get your .ISO rips to the .WBFS format needed.

Also to set your external HDD [or partition of it] to the format needed to use with the Wii.

Try installing the necessary CIOS's, IOS's, backup launcher channels, and the homebrew channel without modmii and then with modmii and tell me which one is easier.
Manually installing the necessary IOSs is exactly what I was talking about. I didn't know this modmii existed. That would have made things so much easier.

Back